Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Class Rankings 2024

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by eastowest, Jun 17, 2023.

1. g8tr82

g8tr82 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Nokomis, Fl
    Now this is a NIL t-shirt opportunity. Who can send this to the right people to make this happen? I would buy one

• Like Like x 1
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Graham said something indicating someone would be committing soon. Hoping it's Seaton or McCray.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Well, it’s Friday
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Yikes...youre right...didn't think that through well enough. Probably need to stick to waiving a donut in the endzone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I can’t seem to copy gifs into my posts

7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    [​IMG]

8. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

9. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    You can choose from them in the rainbow colored square icon located at the top of the message reply box.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The most likely scenario is that there was never a committable offer in the first place.

11. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    Ross on Monday

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    This is an eternal question, bate: how do we know what is true? I am of the growing school of thought that individuals are extremely flawed in truth seeking, and diverse communities are better suited to this task, as the different faults and biases of the different individuals in the community can act to cancel each other out. This is why I’ve long preferred the 247 consensus to any of the individual ratings agencies, including 247 themselves.

Wanne has presented us with a good case in point here, though I actually disagree with his conclusion. I am really not sure that a difference of 200 ranks between one agency and another is proof that neither is honestly undertaking their task. First, 200 sounds like a big number, but anyone in the top 300 of the entire nation should be pretty dang good. Further, we see such disparities in ratings all the time in other aspects of life. Look at the different opinions on the Barbie movie or the job that Trump did as president or whether climate change is a serious threat.

I think wanne’s suggestion about offer lists is also a good one, as meets my criterion for diverse perspectives (the many different coaching staffs), and it also adds another good one: skin in the game. It’s a lot more costly for a coaching staff to miss on an evaluation than it is for a ratings agency to do so, and therefore we should expect coaching staffs to show more accurate predictions in the long run. However, even here 1) coaching staffs are clearly not immune to huge misses, and 2) as was pointed out below, it’s difficult to obtain true information about these offers. Sometimes it’s hard for the kid to even know if he holds a real offer.

So, here’s my bottom line:
    1. Evaluations from the ratings agencies are crappy.
    2. BUT when you put them together, they are likely a bit less crappy.
    3. AND almost all other methods of evaluation are also crappy.
    4. THEREFORE I would say consensus ratings are near the top of a pretty bad lot of options. I wouldn’t treat them as gospel, but I’d still rather have a bunch of consensus 5-stars than a group of 3-stars (even if they have 5-star hearts).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. gatorbate91

gatorbate91 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2014
    Thanks for the honest opinion Mr Rade. I agree it will always be left to conjecture and in the end we’re all just fans on the sidelines rooting for our teams to get the best talent possible because we all know regardless of how well you coach em up it’s still better to start with best talent possible and go from there. Bama has known that for what seems like forever and now Kirby has the inside track but it looks like to me with a few breaks we could be back in the game. Lagway seems like a good one and guys seem to gravitate to classes with top qb’s in my opinion also. Thanks again for the insight.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    My main point is that evaluator x has never watched most kids play and in all reality dont know who they are nor can pick them out of a lineup. They’ve mostly just read stuff on paper and if Saban and Kirby want him, they move them up and still have no idea who the kid is. They then more than likely watch the hudl of the kid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorbate91

gatorbate91 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2014
    I think I get the most warm fuzzies from posters that have watched these kids on Friday nights and know if they are playing from big schools in 5a against similar talent or small schools with little talent so they thrive in that environment. I do like your notion of offers as well.

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I watched Emmitt for the first time when he was in tenth grade. It was obvious the first time I saw him touch the ball. If they haven’t been seen in person, it’s hogwash. AR highlight reel looks like he is superhuman but everyone looks good on film, they don’t show the bad and the ugly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Well that does sound like a poor approach indeed, but the one article I’ve seen about how they work doesn’t describe their approach like this.

How are recruiting rankings determined? ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 247 break out the process

18. gatorbate91

gatorbate91 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2014
    Well to be quite honest whether he was in the 10th grade or you were, it still makes you an old bastage just like me so I approve of this message. Ur keen powers of observation are always on display even if ur eyesight is slipping. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That would be great news...

• Agree Agree x 1