Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Clarence Thomas teaching a 2 week class at UF

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jan 28, 2020.

1. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks. I haven't read the book but I've read a few pieces about it and some interviews.

In thinking about Robinson's arguments, I realize that I was partly wrong in my earlier comment. I pegged Thomas as not understanding structural racism when he likely does. It's that he truly doesn't believe in policies designed to address structure or those applied to groups. I was also wrong about thinking it was his conservatism that drives it, but it doesn't seem that way, it's likely his black nationalist views. This makes more sense to me in an 'aha' sort of way.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Unfortunately 'shame' as a tool against the right doesnt work. There are so many positions by the right that need some serious self reflection instead of retreating into victimization. Think about all the small cultural movements the right has lost it's mind over:
    • #metoo movement to empower sexual assault victims the right promoted as a war on men
    • Black lives matter movement to protest and address police abuse the right promoted as a war on police
    • kneeling at NFL games to recognize the inequities in the justice system was promoted as unpatriotic
    • The right concludes policies of inclusiveness and tolerance as 'intolerance' and a war on Christianity
    The list is utterly unending. Any attempt to challenge the status quo for more EQUAL treatment is interpreted by the righty mind as somehow making things less equal. It is a stunning level of cognitive dissonance. The whole violence line of your attack is stunningly counter to evidence outside your Fox bubble. See below.

All of the extremist killings in the US in 2018 had links to right-wing extremism, according to new report

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thomas did not believe that the federal constitution applied to the states but when a state or local government tries to ban or regulate guns suddenly the second amendment says you can't do that. A true originalist would say it is a matter of states rights a state should be free to prohibit guns of any kind if its legislature decides but the federal congress can't ban them. Thomas is a republican tool who had none of the academic credentials of roberts gorsuch even kavanaugh. Scalia was truly brilliant but went off the deep end and became extremely partisan toward the end of his life. So that is how he benefited from his blackness. A white guy with his credentials would be slammed as mediocre. That being said he hired UF law school's first and only Supreme court law clerk and he loves our school of law, college football and is very personable when dealing with students. Therefore I welcome his willingness to reach a class at the law school. I wish we could get other Supreme court judges to come down and teach or hire our top students but until they do Clarence Thomas is the man. Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Yep its a joke. In many places you will need to have electrified Trump yard signs to keep people from messing with and destroying them. It will be almost unheard of except the made up hoaxes usually for the signs of the Democrats to be destroyed by random Reps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
  6. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    This is really a fascinating take because I had read somewhere that Scalia was actually pushed more to the right by Thomas.

But yeah, if you’re going to dismiss going to a class taught by someone you disagree with, you’re getting a pretty crappy legal education. And if you’re going to do that with a SCOTUS justice, no matter how much you disagree, you’re just shooting yourself and your future career in the foot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    SIAP.

They probably just want to lynch another uppity black man. It happens.

8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If there's one thing I can say for Thomas, he's less pretentious than his colleagues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, if we're the "deplorables" then they are the Party of violent criminals.

10. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Tallest midget?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for him in this way since for years I've viewed him as exemplifying what WEB Dubois called double-consciousness.

Might explain his lesser pretentiousness?

12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Providing a voice is not necessarily silencing another.

• Agree Agree x 1