Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Chuck Jeroloman

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by blake_usmc, Jun 19, 2019.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I played around with it and got pretty good at it.

Did your knuckleball have at least two different breaks? My best ones always had two. The first break was small and the second break was big in a different direction. My weaker ones had three breaks, but not big. Usually because I overthrew them. The ones with either no rotation or too much rotation were flat and a batting practice pitch. I used to throw them to my younger brother that was a catcher and had all the gear. A lot of the time he was trotting back to pick up the ball.

I did pick up a tip from Hoyt Wilhelm. He told me that the last break is usually 180 degrees opposite from where you release the ball. In my experience it was usually true, but not always. It is probably due to how many rotations you expect before getting close to the plate. I would vary my finger positions when throwing them.

And pitching a knuckler with a tailwind sucks. To get any motion means that you have to throw it hard and if you throw it hard it doesn't move very much. Throwing into a headwind is easier to get motion, but if it is a strong headwind it is crazy and you have almost no control. It flies all around. A light headwind is ideal for a knuckleball pitcher.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. blake_usmc

blake_usmc Junior

Jan 3, 2017
    Appreciate it bud, not many people know

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I had no coaching on the knuckleball. I simply threw it in the backyard with my dad until I could control it. It usually took one sharp dive toward my throwing hand about 10 feet or so from the batter. Since most of Hs baseball hitters were right handed, I either struck them out or hit them. It was devastating to left handed batters. Eventually, I began throwing it to righties by throwing to the opposite batters box and it usually dove over the plate. It was my strikeout pitch, which I didn’t get to throw very often because I rarely got to two strikes.
    I was known as a line drive pitcher LoL

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    My father passed away at 48 from a brain tumor in 1968 when I was 14. He was a "car guy".

He had 3 sons - of which I was the youngest. All 3 of us were apples that didn't fall far from the tree, wrt car stuff.

Add to this....the era we grew up in, needless to say, was arguably the coolest era for any "car people" to live through.

In 1969, my Mom set out to buy a new car.

She brought home a '69 Cutless S - with the 350 and turbo-hydramatic tranny. That baby would move!

So yeah.....ours wasn't necessarily the Dr. Olds machine but he was still part of my upbringing...lol....

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Oh, man—

My dream car was always....’69 Chevelle SS 396......4 speed with a Hurst shifter.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Tranny ? Ugh oh

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My dad almost bought that version for my mom. This is a true story. She had always driven stick and was afraid to drive an automatic. She was weird that way and it was one of the few manual transmission cars on the lot.

I was very disappointed that they came home with a powerglide 305 Chevelle.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. blake_usmc

blake_usmc Junior

Jan 3, 2017
    Yeah I’m only 23 and have two 1969 Oldsmobile’s one cutlass S the other a vista cruiser. Love muscle cars! Nice to have other people out there that appreciate them as much as I do!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My dad had a Cutlass Salon of a slightly earlier vintage IIRC. I learned how to drive with that car.

After that he had a Buick Centurion with a 455 V8. That car could really haul ass.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Wow - that's impressive!

Cars make a fantastic passion and hobby. And even lifestyle for many!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have some stories about my Dad's Buick that I think that I could now talk about now without legal repercussions. Statute of limitations are how long? I have one story in mind and I was safe on the road, but was WAY over the posted speed limit. Mostly going well over 90 mph when the posted limit was 55 mph. There was a girl in another car that could keep up. Stevenson Expressway in Chicago. Mid 1970's. She kept winking at me when she got along side.

Maybe I should have followed her off at State Route 83 going north instead of going the the way back to my parent's house going south.

Who knows how my life would have ended up if I turned right instead of left.

I think that I would have liked her. She was my kind of girl. Eventually I found another and married her.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    My first car was a '71 Chevelle SS. Sure wish I had that car back...

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Yep,

Holly 4-barrel, bored & stroked, chrome covered air filter ‘bout 6” in diameter, and just begging for the red light to catch you....;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    GC—

When I first came into my HS years (‘68) there were 3 cars that absolutely commanded attention—

‘55 Chevy 2-Door Hardtop

‘64 Chevy Impala SS 2-Door Hardtop

‘64 Pontiac G.T.O. 2-Door Hardtop

Those were some fine wheels.....:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I had a glasspack exhaust to boot - you could hear me coming from a long way off!

This was in the mid 80s FWIW, so muscle cars were not the norm in my HS parking lot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Glad it’s the off-season, ‘cause dang if we haven’t high-jacked Chuck’s thread....:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Still laughing at this one. LOL

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Nitro—

This made me remember back in the day at Chipola our HC had brought in our normally reliable closer—he had proceeded to give up back to back to back singles.

Coach Dungan called time, went to the mound, looked at Timmy and then looked at the catcher and asked “Bobby, what seems to be the problem?, Timmy ain’t got anything on his pitches?”

Bobby answered “I don’t know Coach, one ain’t made it to me yet”......

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1