Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Chuck and Pray.... Chuck and Pray... Chuck and Pray...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Jan 13, 2019 at 7:00 AM.

1. ekfornam

ekfornam Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Yesterday in the first 21 minutes we had jacked up 25 attempts from beyond the arc. That means at that point we were on pace for 47(!) 3s attempted for the game. I sound like a broken record here, but chucking 3s with 25 seconds on the shot clock is not a winning formula. It's a formula for low mid-majors who otherwise have no hope. We are Florida. We are better than that, and deserve some semblance of an offense besides chuck and pray.

When we decide we're going to be a disciplined offense and make the opponent actually work on defense, that's when we'll start being more competitive.

And for those saying "but we were neck and neck with them", save it. Tennessee dominated us. They had 10(!) more made FGs and 8 more rebounds, to go along with 3 more steals, 2 more blocks, a better assist/turnover ratio, and a way better shooting percentage. That's domination.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    We should be better than that but we aren’t. Basketball teams can be turned around in a single recruiting class unlike football, where you need to give a new coach at least 3 seasons to prove himself. Our big man issues falls directly on White’s shoulders for failing to get a quality big man that can score. Stokes was supposed to be one but he has had the knee injury and conditioning issues. Stokes also isn’t a good rebounder or defender. He has good hands and can shoot but that’s it. We can blame White for our big man situation. Instead of KJ, we should have used that scholarship for a big last year. If I could see that we were gonna be in bad shape for bigs this season, White surely should have seen it. What nobody could have seen is Hudson and Stone disappearing from being players that could be counted on for valuable productive minutes on the floor.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Who were we in the running for in terms of a quality big last year?

Our depth chart, I thought looked filled: Hayes, Gak, Bassett, C Johnson, Stokes, Stone.

That sort of depth chart would cause many to looked elsewhere, right?

We’ve routinely struggled to land quality bigs. I remember that being an annual lamentation on the boards, here.

So, *suddenly*, a (relatively) new coach should be able to pull in bigs at a better rate than iconic BD?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I don’t think any of those guys should have given any skilled big guy concern for playing time. If that is who you are competing with for playing time, it should have been a huge recruiting advantage for Florida.
    Plus, if you are coaching at a program the size of Florida and getting paid $2 million a year it isn’t too much to expect that you recruit at a level to keep your team from getting worse.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    My question or point was, even with open slots we don’t seem to attract a bevy of bigs looking at UF. Even under BD. We never got “the guy” we coveted, it seemed. And with a loaded depth chart, it would seem an even tougher task of landing a big. That said, who did you want us to chase?

6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I don’t have a name for us to chase. I just want our coach to recruit better in regards to bigs. Donovan recruited several bigs that could score. David Lee, Al Horford, Haslem, Bonner, etc. just to name a few.

7. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    And there were times he struggled, at least going by these boards.

I don’t think anyone here is not agreeing with you that we need to get a big who can score! Maybe in the post-FBI investigation, we will!

8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Highly coveted bigs are the most sought after players in the country. . . so not a real easy prize to nab. White has recruited bigs since arriving, but ones that have either been largely injured and/or ineffective.
    The bigs on this roster are those he either inherited or recruited in his first two cycles. . . Hayes, Stone, Bassett, Gak, Stokes.
    Did he pursue high rated/caliber players during those first two cycles? Yup. Remember the name, Tyler Cook? He would have been great for this team. But like with others during that time, White missed on Cook. Why? Well... he was a new, unknown coach taking over for a legend. He was coming from La Tech, and so he was carrying no existing recruiting relationships with such high-caliber players, let alone coveted big guys. And so though he swung during those early class --- he largely missed. Is that on him? Sure... I guess.
    But should it really be unexpected? Really?
    I have said this many, many times in other threads. . . .We are very much feeling the pain of those first two classes, combined with the ineffectiveness of the class inherited. We basically have a three year void of productivity.
    That sucks, but would be far more disconcerting if it were a trend that continued. Instead, we have seen White's recruiting ability when given the needed time. And we are seeing early leadership and real promise from his current class, and have an elite group on its way.
    So while we are paying for the past in the present. . . we are also paving for the future.
    Pick your head-up. . . the program is trending very much in the right direction, despite what @hatter18 may tell ya.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1