Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Christian views may have kept star off US women’s soccer

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by kf4syr, Jul 11, 2019.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Now this I agree with.

2. Gatorhall

Gatorhall Premium Member

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    Sodom and Gomorrah say hi!

3. tilly

But there is an obligation to know what "Tolerant" actually means.

4. Gatorhall

Gatorhall Premium Member

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    Maybe throwing the flag down to mug for a photo op?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. tilly

No one who holds this opinion has any ground to stand on. Calling those of faith "less knowledgeable" is in and of itself "intolerant".
    I never claim victimhood, just pointing to the irony.

People of faith have the same knowledge that you do. They sat in the same classes, under the same instruction as you.
    In fact you could argue that people of faith expand their knowledge in additional ways, beyond just intellectual knowledge.
    Generally we all have similar levels of knowledge, with differing levels and methods of application.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Gatorhall

Gatorhall Premium Member

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    Seems like one view is tolerated to me.

7. tilly

I think some of that is just the frustration with the disrespect for the flag in the much publicized drop and stomp during the celebration and the way they acted in the blow uoy in round one. They really did have some middle finger moments to their opponents and to traditional patriotism.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Legend

Dec 6, 2015
    I have a feeling I know which one... but which one is that?

I'm not sure if all of the women on the US National team are liberal... They probably all support "equal pay" as they define it at least, for obvious reasons...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Agree. It's definitely just a loaded political term at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Please tell me you dont really think she stomped on the flag? Please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorhall

Gatorhall Premium Member

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    No just thrown down like a dirty rag!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    It wasn't the best look, but they also wrapped themselves in it and paraded it around. I know it isn't supposed to hit the ground, but I don't think disrespect was intended. It would never be a story if people weren't already fired up over the team's politics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    They made it easy for God with his fire and brimstone. All those homosexuals gathered together in two cities. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    It's the same old selective outrage. You can use the American flag in all kinds of ways that violate the Federal Code's rules for displaying it. But if you disagree with someone's political positions, you claim they're being disrespectful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Also, it would just be weird to you know, represent your national team and country, when all the while you hate America and all it stands for? That would be some cognitive dissonance.

16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    They might not all be liberal. But I doubt any of them are outspoken about homosexuality being a sin or are against gay marriage.

17. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    This is true and I think she is retired from playing international soccer. This looks like a click bait article just trying to sell advertisement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. tilly

I do not. I do not feel that was there intent at all....But I do think every generation before them understands that you don't throw a flag on the ground to celebrate with a "me, me me" type of pose...and that is an era of respect that we are losing, or at least it is lost on some of our women's team.

For as bummed as that made me, I was equally stoked to see it quickly grabbed back up by players who understood the significance

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Why is “Team USA” putting a political message on the uniforms? It’s a private organization. The USSF can do what it wants...sometimes. See below:

Forced political speech by private organization? That’s okay for the politicians and many on this board. Think of how you would feel about this issue if the KKK sponsored women’s soccer and wanted their label on the uniform.

Not giving equal pay by same private organization? Not okay. https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-uswnt-gets-equal-pay/?utm_term=.6ea4bc8ea637

20. tilly

This is a fair POV, but the flag code is not widely known as a whole...but we were all taught to keep it off the ground. I think that event was more of a sign of the "look at me" selfie generation that I am having to raise my kids in, than it was an intentional act of flag defaming. I just think it was a terrible way to act on the biggest stage.