Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Christian views may have kept star off US women’s soccer

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by kf4syr, Jul 11, 2019.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If Christians want to use 2000 year old writings to justify their behavior they need to be consistent. Otherwise I won't take their objections seriously.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Yep. I don't see hardcore discrimination against fornicators & adulterers from Christians. Those sins seem to be accepted as a part of life and are perfectly legal.

• Like Like x 2
  3. kf4syr

kf4syr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland FL
    I agree that it is true of any unrepentant sinner, which we are all sinners in need of salvation. You can not live a continual life style which of whatever sin it is and expect to inter his Kingdom. And yes I wish all Christians would live and strive to follow his commandments daily, but we are human and make mistakes. I agree that there should be more loved showed toward this sin and showing grace would allow the Holy Spirit to change what was needed. I can not change anything in anyone, Only He can. Much respect

4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The lgbtq...

It is a money maker for sure. So what do you expect them to cover? The fact she also certainly disagrees with all sin. Or the one that is celebrated for a month in this country?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Hence why it is ridiculous to insinuate she picked a sin to discuss.

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    What has she done that is so bad. She made a decision to not wear a jersey in support of something she is convicted about. She accepted the consequences. The reality is she is not pouting at all from anything I have seen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    While I don’t agree with her, I applaud her principles and willingness to suffer the consequences, if any.

From reading the article in the OP, it sounds like Fox and Erickson, and not the athlete, are re-stirring the pot right at the time Rapinoe is getting maximum attention.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Politics one way or the other are bad for locker rooms...

9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I generally think cases of discrimination (of all sorts) are rare in today’s day and age...

Of course subtle racism and prejudices exist, but they are generally not defining features as to why someone gets a job, makes a team, gets arrested, etc.

Almost every single time, there’s more to the story...

10. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

That's definitely the case. To my knowledge, Hinkle hasn't made any public comments regarding this in over a year.

11. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Its hysterical all of the comments about adultery and formication. I don’t know about all churches, but those are preached against regularly, as is homosexuality, and other forms of sexual sin. Sin is sin. You either believe that or you don’t. You can’t pick and choose which scripture to believe - Cypress is absolutely correct. If you believe some of the Word you have to believe all of the Word or you are a liar.
    I can tell you there’s an unknown but growing number of Christians like myself who will call a sin a sin, but what you do in the privacy of your home is your business.

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

That really isn't the point, its that you don't see Christians pursuing legislation against adulterers or trying to codify legal discrimination against people who have premarital sex. Just the gay stuff.

• Winner Winner x 4
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    A sin is a sin, but leaving a devout, out-spoken Christian off the women's World Cup team is an atrocity. But it's fine and dandy to support and elect a President who has been married three times and cheated on all three women. I know there are individuals who don't support the President because of his sinful behavior, but as a group, evangelicals have supported and still support Trump.

But that's a little off topic. Back to the OP. Hinkle is a good player, but she's fringe 23. She's not an integral player that must be included. Had she remained silent and played with the rainbow jersey, she still might have been left off the roster.

Picking 23 for a World Cup roster is one of the hardest things a National Coach needs to do. It's tricky, and there are always players left off that the decision can easily be scrutinized. Last time the USMNT made a World Cup, Landon Donovan was left off the roster. It was a mistake in my opinion. Only magnified when Jozy Altidore went down in the first game due to injury. Donovan was certainly more talented then any replacement we had for Altidore on the roster.

But it's not always about talent. It's about fit, both on and off the pitch. The second hardest thing to do in sports is win a championship. The hardest thing to do is repeat. The thing I was most impressed about the current USWNT is their cohesion. From 1 to 23, it was a true team. Even with the President Tweeting, which could have been a big distraction, the team turned it into motivation. Now imagine had Hinkle been on the team. Certainly when Trump was tweeting about Rapinoe, the media would have likely turned to Hinkle for some sort of statement. Might have been a big bowl of nothing, and Hinkle might have deflected expertly. But it could have also blown up in the team's face.

Hinkle just wasn't worth the risk. Hindsight and another trophy prove this to be true. And anyone crying about her not making the team should understand that Hinkle made her own bed, and now she has to lie in it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Exactly, bro. That's why I believe the word is flat, was made in seven days, 5000 years ago, I beat my seven wives when one disobeys, stone the bad kids in the neighbor, use the curse of Ham to justify my belief in slavery, etc., etc ....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Well dayumm, that makes me some kind of sinner! :devil: Guilty yo honor! :(

16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    While I agree with her. I also agree with your point. This is about clicks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't forget executing witches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Which makes those evangelicals flaming hypocrites. BTW the president also thinks that Jesus' Golden Rule (found in other religions as well) is hogwash and nonsense. Just ask all the people he goes out of his way to insult and denigrate, about their looks, their intelligence, or whatever he can think of.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. Gatorhall

Gatorhall Premium Member

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    I’m not amazed by their attitudes. Believers and non believers have very different views on life and eventual destination of the afterlife. Not surprised at all.

20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

This drives me crazy.

Tolerance BY DEFINITION requires disagreement.
    On can disagree with gay marriage while still being tolerant of it.
    One can speak ones own personal views, while still maintaining decency and respect for ones they disagree with.

"Intolerance" is as poor a buzzword as adding "phobic" to everything.

We have become such simpletons. No room for discourse. No room for differing opinions.

The definition of tolerance, literally requires disagreement.
    ------------------
    tol·er·ance
    /ˈtäl(ə)rəns/
    noun
    1. 1.
      the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.
    ------------------

Now, are there intolerant people that hate folks? Sure. Is this young lady one of them? I have seen no such proof.

• Winner Winner x 1