Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Chris Licht out at CNN

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jun 7, 2023.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Yup. HBO is a sad shadow. AAnd discovery, they never found bigfoot or aliens. Freaking losers

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What are Kendall and Roman up to these days?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This dude was terrible. Didn't understand who his audience was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Absolutely - In fact a number of sources indicated Licht would transform CNN to be more "conservative" friendly.

Rade and wgb are correct, it was a fairly big deal when he took over.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Dude wanted to bring carrots to a rabid dog fight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's an experience that goes down like a man past his prime. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I am honestly shocked this was even a story, because I know of no one left in the United States who watches CNN for any reason. I know more people who watch CNN_International.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    he should have just taken a knee

9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yep, they just cancelled their Perry Mason reboot, which I really liked. Running out of HBO shows that I watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    keep your day job.

11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That made me very angry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I retired back at the turn of the century. (From the 20th one, not the 19th.)

13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Yeah, I was pissed about that. One of my favorite shows. All the new content looks like garbage too.

15. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    What tangent are you off on now???
    If you are basing what is going on by what is reported about right wingers then expect us to believe what is going on the left by the loonies you have. For crying out loud, I basically said that if you are not getting hit by the extremes of both sides, you are probably not reporting the entire truth. Just like the debt ceiling bill, a bunch from both sides didn't like it, so it was probably a decent bill!!!

16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The first half of your post is incoherent, so I doubt anyone understands what you are saying.

I don’t disagree with your final sentence. If you are getting hit from both sides it is a comprise. Usually this is good thing. Welcome to being a moderate, where compromise isn’t a dirty word. But I’d say on the debt ceiling itself (the idea of actually forcing the govt into default), that is a thing that shouldn’t be subject to negotiation. So on that particular issue, it’s an asymmetrical negotiation. Only the “pro-defaulters” are extremists. I think using govt shutdowns as leverage is a more appropriate use of leverage in budget negotiations. Threatening fiscal collapse? Not so much.

17. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    I hear you but when in negotiations you have to use everything you have!! I agree we can't go into default as a country, but we never have and I'm not sure life stops if we don't raise the debt ceiling. Nobody knows for fact; everything is an assumption. Don't assume that means I'm for defaulting but when the secretary of treasury says it has to be done by this date, then says well this date then says another date, if that doesn't cause you concern for just how critical it is then you have to much belief in your politicians being truthful and honest with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Surprised no mention of the role of billionaire John Malone, who helped direct this stupid path with his sense of ignorant grievance. From 2022 after firing of Brian Stelter for unrestrained journalism

CNN insiders tell Confider that staffers cannot shake the feeling the shocking move was made to appease John Malone, a right-leaning billionaire, close friend of the Murdoch family, and key Warner Bros. Discovery board member who has made it well-known that he would like CNN to be more “centrist”—whatever that means.

While Malone has denied he is “directly involved” in any decisions about CNN, multiple current and former staffers who spoke to us relayed a fear that the libertarian mogul is indirectly dictating an agenda to newly installed CNN boss Chris Licht.

Sources further suggested that internal fears about future changes stem from how Licht has kept his cards close to his chest, with members of his own management team being left in the dark about next moves.

The news of Stelter’s axing was actually supposed to be announced Friday with a carefully managed story placed with NPR, sources told Confider, but the news leaked early, including—perhaps curiously—to two conservative outlets, the Daily Mail and the Tucker Carlson-founded Daily Caller, which were both tipped off on Thursday morning.

CNN Staffers Fear Right-Wing Billionaire Will Wreck It

• Informative Informative x 3
  19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While Licht's attempt to remake the network was clearly failing the Trump townhall which was nothing more than a MAGA rally in a townhall format was probably the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Although after the fact as one commentator suggested the audience should have been composed of both Republicans and unaffiliated/independent voters considering that the latter can vote in New Hampshire's semi-open Republican presidential primary rather than almost entirely of registered or self-identified Republicans who in New Hampshire tend to be very strongly pro-Trump.

20. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Live audiences add nothing to televised debates beyond a little theatrical value to the networks. If you insist on voter questions, pick a small panel representing a spectrum of political leanings and have them sit on their hands when they're not at the mic.