Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Chauvin Trial

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It would be the most gymnastic stretch of reality to believe they didn’t know each other personally. Anyone who’s ever worked at a bar, or really anywhere in the service industry, knows that the staff all know each other. Especially the bouncers who need to have each others’ backs and frequently need to work together in coordinating and swapping schedules (so even if they never worked the same shift) as well as coordinating security protocols.

2. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Dec 4, 2008
    H

3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes and it really hurts. And the referee doesn't see it my opponent could get away with.

4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Abusing citizens of color is one thing. Chauvin will find out that being abused by inmates of color is another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06

Aug 30, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ...and I must own weak execution.

You weren't the only one for whom it failed to register.

• Like Like x 1
  7. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    This trial has really faded from the media. Is minneapolis in danger of being burned to the ground or slam dunk?

8. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    No, but there is serious risk of an outbreak of justice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But if that happens- don't worry - the white people will address the problem with their "riot" (apologies to Joe Strummer), i.e., some combination of blue flus, judicial immunity constructions, executive, public order legislation etc., to make sure the "balance" is preserved despite the Chauvin outlier.

One thing they will most certainly work on is correcting what really went "wrong" here - it was caught on videotape. Have to try to make sure that doesn't happen anymore - have backup there to blocking or confiscate the filming. Just think, if this hadn't been caught on videotape, George Floyd would have been "armed", if you know what I mean

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I disagree with Shapiro on the Chauvin case, and it's important to note that he's not a criminal lawyer, but I still think his analysis regarding the trial is worth listening to.

Why?

People need to stop acting like this is a slam dunk case because it's not. If causation is not proven, Chauvin gets acquitted. If it is, he's screwed. Causation is absolutely everything in this case.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    All that has to be proven is that what Chauvin did was a contributing factor to Floyd's death. And anyone on the jury who doesn't think that what we see on the video was a contributing factor doesn't belong on a jury, he or she belongs under psychiatric care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You can use that type of dismissiveness for literally any case.

The drugs in Floyd's system, the cop's placement of his knee (apparently one angle made it look like the knee was on the shoulder, not the neck), the fact that Floyd was claiming he could not breathe before he was even on the ground, all of those things undermine causation.

I'm not saying the correct conclusion is that he didn't cause Floyd's death. I'm saying it isn't obvious slam dunk under a criminal law standard that he did do it.

If I were on that jury, and we had to decide today, I'd say guilty for second degree.

13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If the prosecuting lawyer is any good, during closing arguments, he should ask if anyone on the jury wants to get the Chauvin treatment, and have him put pressure on their neck for 9 1/2 minutes to see if they survive? And the, if just one of them dies, you must find Chauvin guilty! Maybe the attorney should ask Chauvin this question, if he would submit to someone on his neck for 9 1/2 minutes, but I doubt Chauvin takes the stand.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That would likely be objected to because it would likely prejudice the jury.

This case isn't about whether Chauvin acted appropriately or if juror "would like" to be treated how Floyd was treated. This case is about whether Chauvin's actions caused the death of George Floyd beyond a reasonable doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Don't take my word for it, take the witnesses for it. At least one, maybe two witnesses including a police officer who was critical of Chauvin's use of his knee, said that from a particular piece and angle of body cam footage, it looks like the knee was on the shoulder blade.

I thought it's a bad angle, but these aren't even my words, they are the words and concessions of witnesses in court testifying under oath who are seeing all of this footage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Im amazed that this is even a question.

18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    That's why I said closing statement, where attorneys have much freer reign to speak. You could ask Chauvin directly on the stand, but again, he probably doesn't testify on his own behalf.

19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I agree, he did it.

But watch the footage again, if you can stomach it. I know it's hard. Don't think exclusively about what Chauvin did, look at what Floyd was saying throughout the altercation, not just when he was on the ground with a knee on his neck for 9 minutes.

I'm saying it's not a slam dunk. This is relevant because in the case that Chauvin is acquitted, I don't want people thinking that racism is the only possible explanation for that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Don’t Object (Unless the Closing Argument is Really, Really Objectionable)
    Most jurors find objections during closing argument to be rude. Accordingly, do not object unless opposing counsel makes a major mistake that prejudices your client. Sometimes it is better to let a mistake go by (such as a reference to nonexistent evidence) and address the mistake in rebuttal.

The Do's and Don'ts of Closing Arguments - Law Firm Klein & Wilson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.