Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Charlottesville lawsuit

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Prominent lawyer Robbie Kaplan is suing the organizers of the Alr-Right rally in Charlotesville that left a woman dead and several more seriously injured. Per the video, the number of hate groups in America has almost doubled in the past two decades. The number of Neo-Nazi groups increased by 22% last year, a year that saw a 57% spike in Anti-Semitic incidents.

Defendants include Mr. Alt-Right himself Richard Spencer and the guy that drove his Charger into a crowd. The plaintiffs include victims from the car incident and students that were assaulted during the tiki-torch episode.

How do you see this lawsuit playing out?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    With summary judgment for the defendants, unless they have something other than "existing while alt-right" as their argument of causation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Legally that has no chance and if a nutty activist Judge let a jury rule on it the appeals court would just toss the case later.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    DOA

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Although, this could be good for other riots... err... 'demonstrations' sponsored by the Leftists. So for that reason I have mixed feeling about this case.

6. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    If an organizer tells people to show up, what to wear, what weapons to bring, who to attack and when to attack them, that isn't grounds for a lawsuit from someone injured in the ordeal? The courts won't even take the case or is it that they don't stand a chance of winning?

I'm genuinely curious. I don't know much about lawsuits.

7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Did they do all that? If they direct the crowd to attack someone and that direction was tied to an injury then yeah they could be liable. I don't think they were that stupid though.

8. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    According to the video, all that was done in private, online chat rooms.

9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I guess they could possibly prove a conspiracy to incite violence. I just find it unlikely since guys like that usually know where the legal line is and don't want to but their own asses on the line.

10. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree. But if they did that thinking their chat wouldn't be found or made public, and the plaintiffs can get online directives into evidence, there could be something to this suit.

11. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I'm usually dubious about these types of suits but she seems to be pretty organized from that snippet.

12. Jbarrett1359

Jbarrett1359 VIP Member

Oct 27, 2008
    People like this usually know what they can say to remain legal and still get the point across. To me this seems similar to what Maxine Waters did. They talk about needing to take action to prevent something, and they dance around what they want done without actually telling anyone to commit violence.

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm not linking Waters to Nazi's. Im just saying that people use the same tactics of saying just enough to infer a call to action without crossing the line.

13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Yeah, I just don't think there is anything that explicit in their chat. These guys know the FBI is watching if not others. They can get access to those records. They would have to link these people to a plan to actually commit the violence and find someone ordering them to do this stuff. I wouldn't be upset if they all ended up being some inmate's "wife", but I doubt it will come to pass.