Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Charlie Strong to Bama

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m only going on your post, which reads:

“It's a ploy. Send Strong to Bama to learn their secrets then hire him as the replacement to Grantham”

To me that suggested an interest in hiring Strong as a replacement for Grantham....in fact, I pretty much just repeated your words. So I asked why you think that would be an upgrade. If you meant something else that’s great - no reason to get defensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Bama’s secrets have more to do with recruiting than coaching. As Spur’s once said, “A Bama education is worth more than everyone else’s”.

3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You're way more kind about this than I am. The only Gator coach that ended up coaching at another SEC school that I did not dislike passionately is SOS, and Charlie is not in SOS's league... not even close. So... I feel nothing good about this situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    No on field help.

Good info here

What's an analyst do on a college football staff? Mizzou staffers talk shop

5. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

LMFAO. that is dense man. LMFAO again. because it is so dense. You live in a delusion where the ONLY way a replacement happens is an upgrade. Guess what.... Dan Mullen Replaced mac. Brewster ALSO replaced Larry Scott. Do you see how this works? Both situations were completely different as Mac was shown the door and Larry Scott moved on under his own interests. but BOTH were replaced. so. please. tell me once more how you're using my words and getting that Strong replacing Grantham was in any way suggested as a move to fire Grantham and upgrade the position. Go on, I'll pull up a chair.

6. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I understand and am OK with your position.

I just feel differently.

Remember this distinction though. Coach Strong didn't leave Florida to go to Bama. He left to become a head coach at Louisville.

Then he went to two other programs to be head coach.

None of those three schools were in our conference.

None.

His career as head coach didn't work out.

This new gig at Bama is a chance for some redemption.

IMHO....we should ALL be happy for the man - because of what he did for us while he was here.

He's also a good man and deserves it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Quinn was here what, 1 season? Maybe 2? My memory fades. But huge hyberbole to suggest Quinn is "head and shoulders" above CS when CS is not only a 2x NC at UF... CS also held the "Greatest CFB team ever" to 82 TOTAL yards and 14pts, and the highest scoring O in history to 14pts.

As UF AC's you cannot compare the 2, especially after those 2 NC performances!

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't dislike him... until he beats us or steals a recruit... :D;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    listen I like charley, but Quinn came in and we tighten up the defense. The pros realized the talent, Seattle won a super bowl against the best in the world and went right back the following year. Quinn. Filet migon.
    Charley. sirloin steak. You have your thoughts I have my own. I liked Charley very good person.

10. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I like Quinn too, it's ashame he was stolen from us so soon as he could have gone down as our DC G.O.A.T.

Was manly pointing out in CS's 2 biggest games his game plan was basically flawless.

11. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    charley had the 5 stars when urban was there. But charley’s game plan for oklahoma who couldn’t run on us was perfect. Ohio st thought they would pull a Alabama on us and run it down our throats, dumb and dumber. Great job on these two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Yes, CS had the horses to run his scheme and run it to perfection.

13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Lighten up Francis

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I still say that for a DEFENSIVE guy like Strong, spending one year as an "analyst" and learning from Saban, one of the best defensive minds in the game, has a lot more value that the same job under an offensive mind like Mullen.

After next season, Strong will likely be a DC again somewhere. If he was offered the DC job at Bama and UF, I think he'd probably pick UF over Bama, because he probably doesn't really want to DC under Saban.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    oh I'm relaxed. Hopefully you take some time to hit up some reading comprehension, logic, and how to not assume nonsense. lol