Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Charlie Strong to Bama

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Happy for Coach Strong.

This will be great for him and his family.

Not nearly as much pressure and a chance to improve his resume while working in one of the strongest programs in the conference.

Congrats Coach Strong! Hopefully see you in Atlanta this year!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know how the heck they keep doing it...

And how NOBODY else seems to be able. Strong in a similar role at Florida seems a better fit for 1000 reasons. When you are talking about $100K salaries for multimillionaire coaches, what is Alabama selling in this instance that we can't? Other than a potential staff position when their typical staff attrition occurs? And we can offer the same, of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Charley has history with UF that would likely complicate things if he came back into Todd Grantham’s program. Bama is a fresh turn of the page with no strings attached. In my opinion it’s the right move for him while he works on the next move in his career.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Sophomore

Jun 22, 2007
    Learning how Saban does things up close seems like it would be very beneficial to a coach.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you answered your own question. Guys want to go there because there is a history of either ending up a position on staff or getting picked up by others. Plus everyone wants Sunriver with Saban experience.

6. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sometimes it is just good to get experience from a new place and new staff.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yeah, especially that one. And Saban is obviously a defense guy too

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    You think so? Taking off the O&B glasses, I think the Bama job makes a lot more sense for a guy like Strong. Do you really think the chance to work with Saban, one of the best defensive minds in the game and arguably one of the truly elite college football head coaches of all time isn't "a better fit for 1000 reasons"?

I'm not taking anything away from Mullen, because he may well be a great head coach too, but he's an offensive mind. UF has put a lot of defensive coaches into head coaching positions too, but I think the Bama job is probably a little bit better path for that at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Guys have gone from working with Saban as an analyst to straight up getting a head coaching job. Saban's name is worth that much.

10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
  11. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Dooley wrong again. Shocking.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Define "doing well"

I see at least 6 coaches in the 2019 season who were making $5-7M a year +/- that came off his tree. Or approximately 8% of all Power 5 coaches.

Love Charley but he needs Saban after being simply awful at his past 2 stops.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MusicCityGator

MusicCityGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nashville TN
    I agree with you 100%. I’ve been reading post and wondering why no one can remember Charlie Strong never got off the field, he was a bend but don’t break defensive coordinator, tighten up in the red zone, try to hold them to nothing but a field goal. I want a defensive coordinator thats three plays and out boom we’re off the field, offense is back on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If he goes to Bama I believe Strong would be the only coach in CFB that can claim to be from the Spurrier, Urban, and Saban coaching trees.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    He worked under Lou Holtz as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    and also Zook, but he probably leaves that part off his resume.

• Funny Funny x 10
  17. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Charlie was referred to as the "Mayor of Gainesville" in my day. He has coached at UF longer than his last 3 coaching gigs combined. He has coached with Mullen. He could easily end up on staff when another defensive coaching position opens. Like I said, lots of reasons. He wasn't a flash in the pan that once coached at UF. He withstood 3 different head coaches and was once (twice?) himself interim head coach.

At Bama, he can be a meaningless part of the machine. Maybe get an offer to coach with them or somewhere else. I get it. But unless he feels like we overlooked him for the head coaching position in the past and feels hurt, Charlie is a Gator, IMO...I'd say likely moreso than any coach not named SOS.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Charlie Strong is a Gator in my mind and he should return home, but then again maybe he feels like it is time to try something new. It hurts to see him go anywhere but Hogtown, but I wish the best for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Bama offered CS a shiny red Charger and got Mrs. Strong an executive job in the SEC Officiating Office - and she doesn’t even have to show up to get paid.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'm not arguing any of those points. I really like Strong and he clearly has a lot of ties to UF. But the reasons you mention are really more reasons that WE should want Strong to come back as opposed to reasons why STRONG should want to come back. And I have little doubt Mullen would love for Strong to come back right now.

I'm sure Strong feel a very strong bind to UF. He was a very popular assistant and was even interim head coach for the Peach Bowl. He also has a master's degree from UF.

But I can see that bind being part of the reason it might be awkward for him to come back right now. Does he really want to come back to UF in any role less than DC?

There's little doubt in my mind that if/when Grantham decides to move on that one of the first calls Mullen makes will be to Strong. And it wouldn't surprise me at all that even if Strong goes to Bama as an advisor and the DC job were to open and be offered at Bama and UF at the same time, that he might pick the UF job. There I might agree with you that UF has major advantages over Bama.

But as an advisor/DC-in-waiting, I think a year learning from Saban will probably make him an even better DC and he may learn skills that will make him a better HC candidate down the road and adds to his resume.

• Agree Agree x 2