Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Charlie Strong to Bama

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    Analysts don’t recruit. Only the on field staff recruit. While a recruit is on campus of course they could meet but analysts can’t actually recruit.

2. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    Charlie Strong: Source tells FootballScoop after fielding a number of offers from various SEC programs, Charlie Strong appears to have selected Alabama as his next stop. We hear an agreement could be in place soon. Stay tuned…

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    While I’d love to have him, Did we even actually offer him a position?

4. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 Junior

Nov 21, 2014
    Traitor.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    That’s a strong accusation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Agree. And Gatorzilla railed on those who wanted to boot McElwain. So, I’d just take it with less than a grain of salt. Charlie is a great guy and did a fantastic job here. I wish him all the best.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I can't blame him. He's already coached here multiple times under multiple coaches. I'm not sure coming back again in the smallest role he's ever had would do him any good.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 Junior

Nov 21, 2014
    I’ve already gladly admitted I was wrong. You still going to hold that against me 3 damn years later?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    All 3 analysts from last year were hired for other full time posts this year, but acknowledge that Bama might provide the opportunity to be a HC or at least pick up some how to run a program and defensive scheme ideas from Bama/Saban

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Bro - you were off the rails on me and many others that wanted McElwain out. Basically very rude. I never saw or received any sort of apology, but maybe I missed it. Admitting you were wrong is easy because it is obvious the right choice was made by the University. My post was that whatever was blinding you on McElwain when it was so obvious he was not good for our program, should be taken into account because if you call Charley a traitor - then couldn’t Mullen, Spurrier and others be called the same? Charley is a class act and we have no idea why he is making his decision to go to Bama (if true). I would love to have him back here, but if he thinks Bama is better for he and his family, then I wish him the best.

11. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Most people who wanted Mac out were rude too. I don't remember who. Just that a lot of "rude" things were written.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Yeah, I guess I forgot that part. Thanks.

But, at the same time, I think analysts have historically been just placeholders for eventual on-field coaching opportunities at Alabama, with Butch being an exception at this point.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  13. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Good to have him in the stable when someone comes calling for CTG in the pros or HC at a smaller program.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Pretty strong opinions from fans here who have no idea what's going on behind closed doors in the Gator football offices.
    Seems pretty likely about Coach Mullen is all about chemistry more than anything else for his team and this coaches.
    Maybe it was a simple as him not wanting to have 2 Alpha males on the defensive side.
    Fact is no one here knows the truth but it sure as heck doesn't stop people from having Strong opinions.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That’s kinda what I’ve been thinking. Charley has been DC on championship teams and HC at 3 different schools. So now you bring him into an established coaching dynamic under DC Todd Grantham and expect him to just play analyst......while TG continues working to resolve issues and fill holes in the roster.....I’m not so sure that would work, no matter how much experience Charley has to offer. All we’d need is one big difference of philosophy between these two “alpha males” and cohesion on defense could begin to fracture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Post of the day!!! Chemistry everything and Mullen gets it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    agree 100%. Thought Frey great hire last year on offensive. Dan’s going to be very careful as this is about trust and finding somebody that can really help have to be very careful doing these type of things.

18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Agree. I don't know much about the DC at Alabama, but, it would seem that the same logic would apply there, too, though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gator_druid

Gator_druid All American

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I bet Nick gets him...

• Agree Agree x 1