Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Charlie Strong to Bama

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Onewolf42

Onewolf42 Recruit

Apr 3, 2007
    is a football "analyst" allowed to recruit?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    AFC has the post of the thread above me. Wish I could upvote it 100 times.

Many times a coach's strength don't come from Xs and Os but from more intangible stuff like locker room control or being inspirational. This is where Clemson has really excelled through the years and one reason they went from a .500 team to a playoff team. All without top 5 recruiting classes.

Xs and Os are important, and talent is important, but as we saw in 10 and 11, chemistry and locker room organization is a must for a championship team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Great news!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Baller

Baller GC Hall of Fame

Sep 17, 2011
    Lakeland, Florida
    I think I read only on campus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I am not sure of all the dynamics with analysts versus the assistant coaches, meaning who sets tones and temperaments and who sets schemes. It seems to me that the Bama system is more about getting some help to allow the coaches to do what they are required to do while the analysts are more another set of eyes or ears. And the reason they are on-board is not to be the ____-in-waiting but rather to keep their names in the pot for future employment elsewhere.

I have to believe the only way it works well is if the HC is THE authority and hasn't farmed out something to a coordinator. Is Grantham on-board with having someone who aspires to have a major college DC job or more in that role? As they say, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

This. "Third and Strong" was not a thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    According to other posts, "on campus recruiting" only. Not exactly sure what that means because I think we only found "The Dentist" kicker on campus.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

huh?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I thought about the dentist as well lol.

Pretty sure in reality it means he can talk to kids on visits. He can be part of the team that sells the program when a recruit is physically on the campus. Pretty good guy to have on campus for that purpose alone.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    As a DC, Strong > Grantham. IMO

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

As I recall, Carlos Dunlap pulled his asleep at the wheel in the middle of the intersection stunt within a couple days of when Strong announced he was leaving for Louisville. Is that correct, or is my sense of timing distorted?

12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Yeah, that's what I figured, too. Just being a wiseguy. ;)

13. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    This is no evaluation period. Mullen and Strong were coaching together from 2005-2008. Mullen already knows EXACTLY what Strong brings to the table. These guys won 2 national championships in 4 seasons with the combination of Mullens offense and Strong's defense. I think this is a very smart move by Mullen. Lock Strong up but not interfere with what Grantham's doing this year.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    The official announcement was the week after the SECCG debacle. So no. (On WEdnesday- I looked it up.)
    But CS could have interviewed the week of the SECCG so was probably distracted.
    I can't imagine CS would have prevented it though.

We had so many players take their eyes off the ball back then. The Dunlap thing was symptomatic of that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    All I remember is it was before the 09 SEC championship game however that lines up with strong's departure

16. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    What I remember (maybe incorrectly) is that Strong/mattison defenses as well as muschamp(mainly Quinn's) defenses made teams earn everything and seldom gave up the big play.

I love the sacks and yardage losses of Granthams defense but am pretty sick of the busted plays and coverages. Hopefully some of that was due to talent deficiencies but I would love to run a more sound defense ala Strong/Mattison/Quinn

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A lot of time has passed since then. I am full on team Strong, but I also want to see what he is now as a coach when he does not have to be the man at the top. I hope that means he returns to his old ways.

I am very optimistic and hope for the best for coach Strong.

A side note, I was a senior in high school during spring of 2006. Coach Strong visited my high school and came into the weight training room to talk recruiting or football with our weight training coach, who also happened to be the head coach for the football team. I was on my way to Gainesville in a few months.

Coach Strong was not as tall as I expected him to be, but he was about as burly and barrel chested as I've ever seen a man. Shook his hand, told him I was heading up there and very excited for the upcoming football season. What a season it was.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Its players more than coaches. 2 years ago I pitched a shut out in a state title game for 47:37 against an undefeated team with a couple of D1 players on offense.

The next year, couldn't stop a JV team.

Could be the expectation of CS and TG are too high or too low based on what has happened on the field in relation to the talent playing on that field.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Also Kerwin Bell?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame