Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Charlie Strong to Bama

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 29, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 24, 2007
    I want him to help out on defense even more than just being a analyst

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Welcome home, coach.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We scrong

• Funny Funny x 8
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Having more years of football wherewithal can only help

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Not against it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    On another note though. I’m asking out of pure lack of knowledge. Back when he was our DC my priorities were elsewhere to dig be able to dig into him as a coach. Was it not of him as a coach or mod of who we had as players that gave us such a dominant defense? I see people praising Durkin for his coaching ability and defensive prowess but if I recall he was the Special teams coach and then got promoted to DC. Like I said, I can be wrong. If so, respectfully set me straight please :)

9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Excellent infrastructure move for the program. CDM keeps making smart moves.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  10. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All really dominant D is a product of the talent on the field, as any solid scheme looks spectacular with dominant athletes.

CS and Mattison were good at dialing up a sound game plan that the talent they brought in could execute with precision and aggression.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. roflcopter

roflcopter GC Legend

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia
    One thing I recall from Strong’s tenure was that our D was always situationally aware of the down and distance. I don’t remember us giving up a whole lot of 1st downs on 3rd and forever situations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Depends on which iteration. Third and long Charie Strong was a thing.

The guy can coach, and surprise, looks better as the talent increases. Same can be said for Grantham and most other DCs with a solid resume.

It'll be good to have another set of experienced eyes on staff and a bit of an in-house insurance policy if Grantham gets one of these other gigs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Charlie Strong's influence was strongest behind the scenes and on the practice field as disciplinarian and detail-oriented coach when he was co-DC with Greg Mattison in 2005-2007. He took more control on the field when he was DC with Chuck Heater as his assistant in 2008-2009. In my opinion, it was Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong that really held the locker room together between 2005 and 2008. Those two seemed to influence discipline on and off the field--particularly during games. I can see why Mullen would want Strong on the Gator staff in any role.

DJ Durkin on the other hand was not a disciplinarian or detail-oriented guy. He was a very good coach with great skill in extracting talent from lower-rated athletes and maximizing talent of higher-rated athletes, and he seemed to be more creative than Strong. As a DC, Durkin benefited from having both Will Muschamp and Dan Quinn mentoring him in 2011-2012. Perhaps it was a combination of his special teams experience and mentorship from Muschamp and Quinn that made him more creative than Strong. (Although one could argue that Strong running the 3-3-5 Joker defense in 2009 was creative.)

Comparing Strong to Grantham is hard due to differences in player talent and scheme. The temptation would be to say that both are known for getting defenses into 3rd and long, but I would say that Grantham is more known for that regardless of his talent on the field. Strong definitely got his teams into 3rd and long with lesser talent, and on some occasions with better talent.

Having Charlie Strong on campus again is a good thing. Strong has served the Gator Nation intermittently since the early 1980s. Besides, it is good to have him on campus just in case these annual rumors of Grantham leaving come to fruition.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He and Mattison were a great team on defense for the Gators back in the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Was CS one of the bend but don’t break DC’s? Seems like a good analyst candidate. Don’t like him as a DC in waiting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    This is pretty big. We know Grantham likely won't be around much longer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Mullen is preparing for an inevitable departure of Grantham. This is an evaluation period for Strong. If he does well he may get the DC nod when Grantham leaves. I hope he does well and gets that nod, but only if Mullen deems him worthy after this analyst evaluation period.

• Like Like x 1
  18. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    Strong would be outstanding to have back on campus. And as mentioned above, Grantham's tenure has become uncertain given the growing interest in him as a head coach -- which will only grow more as our defense excels. Having Strong waiting in the wings puts us in an excellent position.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. dkgator

dkgator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s what I remember of him and his scheme. He definitely isn’t a blitz happy coach. He’s a “keep everything in front of you, and make key stop or turnover along the way” kind of coach. Spurrs did school him when he tried that against us back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    when Grantham goes and Strong takes over, we'll hire Muschamp as an analyst to have as another set of experienced eyes on the field. Man our defense is going to be nasty.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1