Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Milley intended to resign from trump admin.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ursidman, Aug 8, 2022.

1. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Changed his mind and decided to fight the fight from within. His letter (and yes he has a forthcoming book).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Milley & Austin are running our military into the ground. They are weak and pathetic.

• Dislike x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
  3. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trump asked why his generals couldn't be more like Hitler's, book says

Former President Donald Trump once asked his White House chief of staff Gen. John Kelly why his generals couldn’t be more like Adolf Hitler’s, who were, in Trump’s view, “totally loyal.”

The previously unreported conversation was published by the New Yorker on Monday in an excerpt from “The Divider: Trump in the White House,” a forthcoming book by Peter Baker and Susan Glasser that will be published on Sept. 20 by Doubleday. Baker is the chief White House correspondent for the New York Times and Glasser is a staff writer for the New Yorker.

“You (improper language) generals, why can’t you be like the German generals?” Trump asked Kelly, according to the book.

“Which generals?” Kelly asked.

“The German generals in World War II,” Trump responded.

“You do know that they tried to kill Hitler three times and almost pulled it off?” Kelly said.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tell me you're a MAGA cultist without telling me you're a MAGA cultist.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A nearly trillion dollar budget doesn't buy what it used to I guess

• Like Like x 2
  6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The maga mob will vilify him to no end as he dared to cross dear leader.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    FB_IMG_1644290466839.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    FB_IMG_1644289506181.jpg

9. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Another insightful, productive contribution to the discussion. Kudos. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know Milley's political party. But, in the face of Trump's authoritarianism, Milley absolutely put country before party. Thank God he did.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Plus, I thought Trump didn't like losers.

13. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    If you believe in something, you need to act like you do---

Gen. Milley drafted scathing letter of resignation to Trump after Lafayette Square (msn.com)
    "The events of the last couple weeks have caused me to do deep soul-searching," Milley wrote, "and I can no longer faithfully support and execute your orders as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It is my belief that you were doing great and irreparable harm to my country. I believe that you have made a concerted effort over time to politicize the United States military. I thought that I could change that. I’ve come to the realization that I cannot, and I need to step aside and let someone else try to do that."

• Like Like x 1
  14. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    If it was already written, then he should have had it ready to go (with a few modifications) after the Afghanistan debacle. He must be a guy that just likes to talk about what he shoulda done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    For real. Milley has proven his gross incompetence and if he actually disagreed with the boneheaded withdrawal plan, he should have resigned then. The obvious answer is he didn’t.

It’s yet another sign the ruling class has absolutely no clue how to run the country, but yet wants your adulation and hard earned dollars to buy their memoirs of ineptitude. Galling really.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wonder how soon Trump will call him Silly Milley. (You read it first here.)

17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The power of rationalization is amazing

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trump was too cowardly to end the Afghan war himself. So, he set up Biden by negotiating a deal with the Taliban that excluded the Afghan govt and released thousands of Taliban leaders and fighters. Trump left it for Biden to actually withdraw our troops, because he was too scared to do it himself.

FB_IMG_1631214564107.jpg

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    You have the political narrative down pretty well. I’ll address Afghanistan in more detail in later thread. I was referring to Milley trying to get credit for “moral courage” standing up to Trump when he never stood up to Trump. He had the equivalent courage of the bystander to a violent act against a friend who later, under safe circumstances, declares, “I wish that [bleepity bleep] would have tried that with me!”

He demonstrated similar moral cowardice when this President disregarded the professional advice of all of his senior military advisors in favor of that idiot Jake Sullivan (who for reasons I can’t begin to fathom still has a job). Milley et al could have resigned just like Mattis did when it was clear the President didn’t have his confidence and he was trudging toward strategic disaster. Trump’s strategic missteps are certainly relevant, but they don’t excuse this President’s, no matter how artfully worded. And they certainly don’t excuse Milley’s failure to throw his rank on the table and say, “Mr. President, respectfully, sir, you are being wrongfully advised by someone who doesn’t understand the subject in which he is advising you. This will end in disaster if we continue on this path. And I can’t have my name on it.”

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    play it out for me, what happens if Milley resigns and Trump replaces him with a MAGA mainliner who calls out the military to support his rebellion?