Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Celebs/CEO's arrested in college entrance scam

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Mar 12, 2019.

1. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You are correct but I think they also want people to believe that their kid got in on their own merits.

2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought Democrats were all about fairness?
    Is this where you part ways with Barack Obama?

3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
  4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Yes, and fairness means that when people are caught breaking the law they should be punished, reagardles of wealth, social position, or political leanings. Has there been many Democrats saying what the celebrities and CEO's did here was acceptable?

5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Losing gigs ... but I guess I should figure out what a 'social media influencer' is ...

Hallmark drops Loughlin, Sephora drops her daughter in college scam fallout

6. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
  7. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Her admission to college was likely more legit than Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric's.

9. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I don’t support unfairness. Guess Obama and I are aligne!

10. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    How is this either interesting or funny? You are better than this.

11. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Who’s Been Charged in the College Admissions Cheating Scandal? Here’s the Full List

In what the Justice Department called its largest ever college admissions prosecution, federal authorities charged 50 people on Tuesday with taking part in a nationwide scheme to game the admissions process at highly competitive schools like Yale and the University of Southern California.

Those charged include wealthy and powerful parents accused of paying millions of dollars in bribes, exam administrators and athletic coaches accused of manufacturing students’ achievements, and private admissions counselors accused of coordinating it all.

12. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They should switch to being a football school. It works for F$U. You can even rob the state for money for classrooms and then spend it on the football stadium.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The liberal media (CNN) has it figured out. It's all about race. If people would just stop being racists and support Affirmative Action admissions into universities, then we could just blame white people for bribing their way into the universities and declare this the bigger problem for qualified applicants who do not get in.

What college cheating scandal says about race

(The writer is from CNN.)

Imagine that. I won't defend the people bribing their kid's way into schools they aren't qualified for, but is it really the bigger problem? Allegedly, this Singer guy had 750 clients. Assume he's been in business for 20 years. That's less than 40 kids per year. Assume that there are about 40 elite schools in the U.S. that warrant spending $250k to get a dumb kid into. That is less than one kid per school per year. So how many unqualified kids would get into these schools every year though Affirmative Action? A few dozen at each school?

If all else fails, get defensive.
    Why can't you go after both sets of unqualified applicants?

From 2014, a girl who scored a 23 in the ACT was actually protesting her rejection from University of Michigan.
    Umm, you had an equal opportunity to get a good grade on the ACT, and you stunk it up. You blew it, not the university. Your test results indicate that you are a fairly average high school student trying to get into one of the best universities in the nation. Why do you deserve to attend a university that you are not qualified for? Accept a little responsibility, for crying out loud.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    You missed the point of that article. Simply said people that argue against preferential treatment for minorities ignore preferential treatment for rich donors.

You’re upset someone rejected by UMich is upset they got rejected? I’m not sure where you are going there.

I agree with you this cheating scandal is small potatoes. Probably cheating is small on the whole. We have no idea how many people buy their way into elite schools legally. I’d tend to think that was kind of small too though.

15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "Yea people donate a bunch and get a waiver.
    Don’t apply to those schools if you don’t like their behavior." o_O

16. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think that very many people are siding with the unethical rich people on this one. Sounds like a diversionary tactic to me. Squirrel!
    It is normal to get upset. It is not normal to hold a press conference and start a protest that insinuates that the university is racist just because it is following policies that prevent average to mediocre students from getting in.
    Agree. The real cheating starts when you get into college and start hiring someone to do your homework for you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

If he really "regretted it" he would donate every penny he made to a worthwhile charity. $10,000/test.....wow!

But he won't....just some PR so he seems less like the scumbag he is

Found this interesting
    And since 2006, he's worked as director of college entrance exam preparation at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, a prestigious private boarding school for high school student-athletes that has produced elite college players and professional athletes. IMG Academy suspended Riddell following his indictment Tuesday.

18. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

No, I think he understood the article perfectly

19. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Thanks! Related to what you think....who do you think will win the game today?

20. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Funny you should mention it, I guy at the tailgate told me he paid other students to attend his classes and take his exams. The professors and the test proctors had no idea, and dude got a UF degree without even attending class. After I was done being disgusted I was actually impressed at his ingenuity.

Oh, did I mention he is now a real estate developer? True story.