Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Celebs/CEO's arrested in college entrance scam

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Mar 12, 2019.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You probably should know it's a good school.

2. gatordavisl

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I guess, according to overall academic rankings. In my discipline, AZ St is a much stronger program. Out of curiosity, and in your unbiased opinion, is the AZ overall reputation substantially greater than that of ASU?

3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Rumor has it that the California university system has some pretty good schools. Maybe not the Ant Eaters and the Fighting Dirtbags, but I hear the Mighty Gauchos are pretty good over there in SB.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    AZ St has better basketball fans

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    California has two terrific systems. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Ain't that the truth. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I thought about recruiting when I read it, but what does IMG have to do with the Gators, lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Public meltdown from butthurt parents everywhere. Not an institutional problem. These are rogue people acting outside the process. Good job FBI. Faux outrage at clubs many of us couldn’t get in.

9. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Oh yea - Fox pushing narrative too many go to college which is to blame. Leave it to cons. I guess Trump needs coal miners.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I'm just wondering if it takes a half million dollar bribe to get into USC, what type of bribe it takes to get into the likes of Princeton, MIT, or Stanford.

11. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Might be for club seats at the new stadium. Unless they score tickets to the red carpet for the seminar pimping their buddy's new movie at the Oscar's.

12. gatordavisl

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Or ya could have simply admitted: "Geez, you know what? It actually is a pretty darn good school!" ;)

13. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    :)

If only Aunt Becky with the good hair stuck with the socially and legally acceptable way by contributing her money to the university itself in an aboveboard way...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    ASU has a great music program, and Gammage, built by Frank Lloyd Wright is an awesome theater. Going to watch Wicked there next month. Nothing else in the state compares.

But overall, UA has the better academic record. Arizona is an agriculture and mining school founded in 1882, and ASU was founded as a teaching college. ASU didn't become a full university until the 50s.

UA has always been a Research 1 school and has a larger endowment and gets a lot more grant money than ASU. The current ASU President, Crow, has been attempting to finagle the US News rankings to get ASU above UA for about 15 years, including offering full tuition, books, and board for honor students, and lowering class sizes. UA has ignored this, and this year ASU finally caught up to UA. Made some UA alum unhappy, and expect Arizona to top ASU in next year's rankings.

Bottom line is Arizona is the premiere university in the state, with the state's only medical school. ASU has made great strides recently, but it's still considered by many their safety, commuter school.

As for basketball fans, UA has lead the PAC in attendance for 30 years. ASU had to put curtains over 4,000 seats and still can't sell out.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My older brother went to ASU for a year and said the scenery is awesome. California girls and such. I was hell bent on going to Tucson and then the wrestling coach landed a 3 time Ohio state champion at my position. Let's just say that my brother's phone call asking me to come to G'ville it became a no brainer. Which was appropriate at the time and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Having said that, I believe I would have liked Tucson. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

17. Msgreentea

Msgreentea GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    These parents are both stupid and cheap. They should be able to get an okay student or two in by just endowing a chair - maybe $2m? Make it totally legit and look good by tying the donation to a field they are successful in - get a name on a plaque. They shouldn’t need to build a building unless they have a kid like Jared.

• Like Like x 1
  18. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Fox is funny. Universities were defrauded by employees and 3rd parties and Fox is banging the drum to indict the schools themselves. Man they hate educated voters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Loughlin's daughter is on youtube telling her "followers" that she really doesn't like school. Should have sent her to LA Community College.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Really good actor who is constantly complaining about how racist and unfair America is and that something needs to be done about income inequality.