Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Celebrity meetings

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Gator515151, Mar 26, 2020.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Tyra Banks was in town? She never returned my phone call gosh darn it. :D I did meet Joey Fatone in the men's room at Howl At The Moon where he and Debby Gibson were putting on a show. I treated him like just some other dude and he had a perplexed look on his face. I just treated him like a regular guy, and he seemed to appreciate it.

2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Previously posted this photo. My son with a certain politician.
    upload_2020-3-26_19-44-24.png

My wife literally ran into Rahm Emanuel when we are leaving Yom Kippur services around 10 years ago. A couple of years after we moved from Gainesville to Virginia, Henry Kissinger dined at the same Chinese restaurant where we were eating. Really surprised us since the restaurant which was located in in DC's Chinatown back when DC actually had a real Chinatown was small hole in the wall. Great food but not the kind of place where one would expect to see a high profile political figure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I've met a lot of athletes. Michael Jordan was a real jerk. Can't think of any entertainers I've met.

4. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I met Joakim Noah in NYC. I yelled across the street at him “Go Gators” and he said yo hold up. He came across the street, talked to me and my wife, signed my hat, and talked to us for like five minutes. He was super cool.

My friend met Bill Murray on a plane flying from NYC to LA. Murray shared a first class seat with him and they chatted the whole way. A week later they had the same return flight and Murray remembered his name, and they talked like they were old friends. A few years later we caught a show he was doing at the time and my friend says I want to go say hey to him. Murray, 2-3 years later, remembered his name and they caught up for a few minutes. I got to meet him too.

In 2009 I shared business class seat with a very attractive female from Chicago to Vienna. She was Austrian and I spoke some German so we hit it off practicing each other’s native tongue. At the end we bid each other farewell and she left the plane while I waited for the rest of my group (it was a mission trip). The stewardess asked if I knew who I was talking to and then showed me her picture on the cover of an Austrian fashion magazine. I kicked myself for not getting her email address.

Finally, my all time favorite.
    I sat next to Marcus Luttrell (Navy Seal and writer/subject of “Lone Survivor” on a plane. We talked hunting, my grandfathers service in the Navy, my great uncles service as a Frogman in WWII, politics, sports, whatever. At the end, he left me a copy of the book with a personalized note thanking me for a great time. Here’s the thing...the book wasn’t out yet. He wasn’t famous. I knew him from being referenced in another book on BUDS.
    He never said anything about being a SEAL until I brought that up. That was a high quality dude.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I was in Washington DC at a hotel in downtown near the capitol in 1992. I had to go to a meeting and was leaving early one morning and Bill Clinton was coming in from his morning jog while he was running for office. He shook my hand.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I did sit on an airplane in the seat behind Dominique Wilkins on a flight from O-Town to the Minny Apple. He was totally cool. Also, there is a restaurant on 17-92 in Winter Park where a lot of NBA players would go when their team was in town. Their cheeseburgers were insane good. Go Magic! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Ever think of taking up ping pong?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Haha, took that flight once a week from 2010-2013. Saw, many but never sat next to anyone famous. I was in economy comfort next to two UGA basketball scouts once. One of them got upgraded, but the other didn’t. They wanted to talk strategy on the flight. I was on this site, turned and showed them “Gator inside recruiting thread” and asked if they would mind passing that upgrade to me.

Rang the flight attendant bell and voila, I was in first.

Been on the same flight as Marco more than once. I leave him alone, but he always replies to my go gators in kind when we are deboarding.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    So you took a first class upgrade instead of getting the inside scoop on uga recruiting.....come on man....where is your loyalty.....:emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    what am I missing?

11. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    This was 2012 UGA basketball and they were yapping about 2 stars. Two UGA football recruiters in any year. :ninja2:

I wouldn't remember the names of the recruits for basketball, even if they were in the league now.

12. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    A reference to the celebrity magnet quality, not the IQ.

[​IMG]

13. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I took my daughters to meet Peppa Pig once. Does that count?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Kind of a sad story and not exactly a celebrity. When I was in high school one of my classmates had a cousin who was an astronaut. The astronaut was in town so his cousin arranged to have him come speak at the school. When the astronaut arrived, his cousin was in my class and went to meet him with a teacher and I got to go along and meet him as well. Nice guy. A year later they pulled TVs into the classrooms to watch the aftermath of the Challenger explosion on which he was the mission commander. Was kind of surreal at that age.

On a lighter note, I saw Cam Newton in a Waffle House picking up breakfast near where I lived in Atlanta a few years ago. Everyone was tripping out and he was pretty nice and talked to the staff and customers. Was kind of funny because he asked for some A1 and hot sauce and they threw the whole bottle in his bag.

15. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Vice President Richard Nixon and his wife Pat flew into Gainesville in 1958 (?) when he gave a speech at the University. My father and I were part of the crowd that greeted them on the tarmac when they came off the plane. My dad had a magnificent camellia garden and he suggested we go home and cut some flowers then return to give them to Pat Nixon when they returned to the airport that same night to fly back to Washington.

Back on the tarmac about 3 hours later I handed a basket of gorgeous blooms to Mrs. Nixon. She graciously accepted them with thanks, then kissed me on the cheek. I was thrilled and wouldn't wash my face for several days after that.

• Like Like x 2
  16. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I moved it for you. No problem.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Most of the folks I call celebrity, would not be recognized here except for a few.

I did have dinner with Loretta Lynn in day, sort of.

I was living in Corbin, KY and went to the Cracker Barrel at I75 exit 29. I sat down and was waiting for my dinner when I started to notice a hush in the room. When the waitress handed me my tea, she pointed at the table right next to me and mouthed Loretta Lynn. She sat at the next section over and she was very gracious to those around her. People were handing her Cracker Barrel menus to sign, which she did. I was not a fan, so I just sort of sat and observed.

She was very petite and had on some boots that looked like they were very expensive. She got into a truck outside that I do not think I could have climbed in without a ladder, but she took one step and was behind the wheel.

I did meet Lynyrd Skynyrd but there not famous then, just a bunch of guys growing up in the Lake Shore part of Jacksonville.

I did see them one time after they were famous. I was riding down San Juan Ave in Jax when I heard someone holler my name. I turned to see one of them mooning me, I turned into KC BBQ and I think they went to a little place I think was called the Still. The real Leanard Skinner ending up buying the Still and renamed it Leonard Skinner's place. I am told the band would drop in and do sets from time to time.

18. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Loretta Lynn's maiden name was Loretta Webb, my last name is Webb and my dad was born just across the Tug River from her birthplace Butcher Holler. It has been researched, no relationship just interesting.....Guess the only famous person I'm related to is Lacuna LOL & that is on my mothers side.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    I have met many "famous" preacher and some gospel singers, but don't feel like they are celebrities in the true sense of the word.

20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't have any really major encounters, but here are some interesting stories.
    • When I was about 10, my family took a regional flight in the midwest. The gentleman sitting in front of us, who was very gracious and gave me an autograph (my parents only figured he was a football star because of his remarkable physique). His name was Roger Craig(49ers) and went to HS in the town where I was born (hence the regional flight).
    • I was at an airport in Tokyo with the North Texas One o' Clock band and Chick Corea was checking in next to us. Our director was an acquaintance with him.
    • On the same trip I attended a SanDiego Chargers/Pittsburgh Steelers preseason game in Tokyo and met Bobby Ross (Chargers coach) after the game.
    • I taught music to a 2nd grader named Aaron Carter in Ruskin, FL around 1999. Aaron was featured in our end of year talent show and introduced me to his brother Nick, who "sang in Europe" at the time. I had no idea how big the Backstreet Boys were. Aaron and his family have since faced many of the challenges of the Hollywood/rock star life. One of his sisters, who I also taught, died of a drug overdose at a very young age. Aaron and Nick recently had a major rift. I don't know if they patched it up or not.
    • On January 3, 1997 my girlfriend jumped into the arms of Jevon Kearse on bourbon street (after the 52-20 beatdown of the Nolies). I wanted to be jealous, but was more just in awe of how physically prominent he was.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1