Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Celebrity meetings

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Gator515151, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I'm sitting here watching Dr Strangelove on TCM and it brought me back to a fond memory of meeting Slim Pickens on a flight from Tampa to Springfield MO back in the 80s. The guy was absolutely as funny in person as he was on screen. We sat behind him and Mrs51 asked him if he had fun shooting Blazing Saddles. He laughed so hard and said working with Mel Brooks was the most fun he had in his entire life.

Just wondered if anybody else might have an interesting story about meeting a celebrity.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    I spent a very long day with Robert Urich (Jake in Lonesome Dove and some TV detective show) once. He was a host of a TV show and they were shooting some work we were doing. Nice guy but quiet and he and the director had had with each other. They each asked me what the other had said about each other. Urich had 2 ladies that kept applying his makeup and combing his hair (a couple of times the director sent one of them to do their thing to calm him down) also had one for “wardrobe” - which is what you and I call clothes. In the end they managed to jam 15 hours of shooting into a 10 minute piece. Some years after that Urich died of prostate cancer

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Terry Bradshaw (the one with FOUR SUPER BOWL RINGS).

At an airport in Orlando.

Great guy!

• Like Like x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 #stayingtf@home VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I've met many. Three of my favs for various reasons:

Chris Rock back in the 1990s @ a boys 2 men concert (don't ask lol) at MSG. Both of us were waiting outside the womans' b-room for our female companions. Just chatted it up. He was cool.

Lawrence Taylor in 1990 in the Bahamas. One of my Navy shipmates' brother was a RB for the Giants at the time. We ran into him standing by himself far away from his fam/friends because people were annoying him. He was a pleasant jerk, but I understood why.

Ali Shaeed Muhammed from ATCQ. Back in 1999, I ran a health club in Verona, NJ called Platinum Fitness where he and a bunch of celebs--mainly athletes and some soap actors etc--were members. I was crouching behind the counter looking for something and when I stood up we were face-to-face. I did a double take and was like holy sh*t out loud. I was a huge ATCQ fan and he was chill af.

Okay, four. Had drinks with Alan Dershowitz at The Swamp when he spoke at UF back in the mid/early 00s. My student was an officer in Accent and invited me to the private meeting. Dershowitz is who he is, on tv and off.

• Like Like x 2
  6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Mr. T

7. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I used to live in Gville I ran across SOS a couple of times. Ran into Shane Matthews at a jiffy lube once in the waiting area.

8. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Mainly people who will be more famous than they currently are. Most immediately famous is Sonequa Martin-Green who currently stars on Star Trek Discovery and was previously on The Walking Dead. We were both competing in the same categories in collegiate forensics, and she's a really cool person. I love seeing her updates online.

But I went to school with several others who are just now starting to make names for themselves. I see them all over the place, and am often surprised when they pop up in a variety of series or films. I've also taught a few students who are starting to pop up here and there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I talked to Dough Flutie once. We were staying in the same motel as the Generals who were in Tampa to play the Bandits. He was outside sitting in what appeared to be his new car. Very sociable guy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    I was drinking in a bar one night (ok, a lot of nights) but this one night The Atlanta Rhythm Section floated in and borrowed the band’s instruments and played a very drunken but kickass set for the 20 or so of us there stopping to share and buy drinks. My buddy said I had a hell of a time

• Like Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    I was the building inspector on Joey Fatone's house remodel and swimming pool. A big star with the younger generation but I didn't even know who he was the first couple of times I met him.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Met Cameron Diaz on the street in Positano about 10 years ago. Talked for 15-20 minutes. Very friendly. Great smile. Very pretty.

And Annie Hathaway at the Montage bar in Laguna beach. Not so friendly. But it wasn’t long after her then fiancé was busted for financial crimes. Also very pretty.

Spent a day with Tebow at a service project in Atlanta. Most decent, sincere person I’ve ever met. Was a client of my daughter’s and he sent me a nice video hello several months later. Simply the best, we are so lucky he’s ours.

Sat next to Evander Holyfield on a flight. He likes his vodka. And I couldn’t stop staring at the place where his ear used to be. Wanted say badly to ask, bro why not fix it? Everyone who passed us in the aisle thought I was his agent. Great for my street cred.

Sat next to Eddie George at the 07 hoops final. Very friendly. Really enjoyed talking to him. I left happier than he did.

Went to a USC Cal game about 12 years ago. Had drinks at 4 Seasons SF bar afterwards. Billy Joel and band rolled in post-concert and sat at table next to us. Great time. Then he commandeered the piano at the bar and sang a few classics, finishing with......you guessed it.....Piano Man.

• Like Like x 5
  13. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I worked a summer on a vineyard in Bordeaux, France after college in '03. I flew to Paris via JFK and my flight was set to depart around 10pm or so. It ended up getting delayed a couple hours so I went to a bar to pass the time. I end up chatting with this guy who was also on my flight. We end up getting pretty hammered at this bar and decide to try to sneak into the crown room or whatever its called for Air France. The guy guarding the door to their lounge was getting harassed by passengers asking when the flight was going to leave so we slipped past him pretty easily. They had all this free pastry and champagne spread out on a table and had internet kiosks (lol) so we just went to town and got comfortable for a couple hours. Then our flight gets delayed another hour - so at this point its like 1am and I'm tired and very drunk so I go up to the counter to complain/get info about our flight at the desk they have inside the lounge. When I get to the counter I see this very attractive girl standing next to me. I start talking to the agent and I said something like "this is ridiculous" or something along those lines and the girl next to me echoes it "yeah this is ridiculous." So I turn to look at her and it's Liv Tyler. She leaves the desk a few seconds later and walks up a flight of stairs to this VIP area inside of the Air France lounge that is also monitored by a security guard. Somehow me and the guy I had befriended snuck past that security guard too and went upstairs. We ended up chatting with Liv for about an hour and a half. She was headed to Paris for Givenchy modeling shoot. She was super cool/nice and totally humored us. She showed me her Lord of the Rings tattoo and I got her to speak some Elvish for me. My only celebrity encounter.

• Like Like x 4
  14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    That's amazing!

I was at a brunch in the meat packing district in NYC circa 2006 and Anne Hathaway was at the table next to ours. I eavesdropped a little and she sounded insufferable.

15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Living in Orlando you just can't avoid running into them every now and then. Being in the sport of water skiing, we run into each other all the time. Also, as a RE appraiser, we get the occasional assignment for a celebrity. Tim Raines asked me to coach him on his house plans in Heathrow, and the stereo for his car. I did Greg Warmoth's house. Very cool guy. I appraised Camille Duvall's townhouse on Lake Thornton. She was not cool. Smoking hot, but nasty. Her brother Sammy was great. Same with Carl Roberge. Andy Mapple and his wife Deena were great as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Sightings.
    Saw Donnie Osmond in the St. Lou airport, saw Cheech in the Austin airport, saw Kareem Abdul Jabar cross country skiing. Was having dinner in London prior to going to see 1 flew over the cuckoos nest & Christian Slater came in (he played the nickelson role in the play).

I hung out & chatted with Urban & Shelley at a happy hour right here in Ft. Collins.

I had various interactions with Allen Collins (skynyrd) when I was a kid.

My fav. when my son was about 2, we went to a church basement every sat morning to music & me. One day we walk in & there's Florence Henderson (grandma Flo). Her son, a stay at home dad in St. Louis, was the instructor & she was there to hang with her gradnson during the lesson.

BIG MISS. After skiing in vail, about 3 families were hanging out at the skating rink having beers. I kept saying, hey look, it's Tiger & Lindsey. My wife wandered off to shop & came back & said if I went to the car to get the plate #, her buying something would give us a break on parking. While I was gone, Tiger & Lindsey walked right by our group.

EDIT. I hung with Dave Grohl in Gville. His band, Scream, played at (I think) a Lion's Club on 34th street. He was super cool & super enthusiastic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Yup. It’s odd. I went through this 5-7 year period where I had celeb encounters on about 1 of every 2 business trips, especially commuting back to Atlanta from Miami. Sat next to Marino, D Wade, some world champion boxer (other than Holyfield), Dan Reeves, etc. My then teen daughter thought I was the luckiest guy in the world. I told her that upgrades simply mean I just traveled too much. Then one day I kept traveling, but the encounters stopped.

oh yeah, met condi rice at Augusta one year in Berkmans Place during Masters week. Wearing that green jacket, of course. Impressive beyond words.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Sorry I just notice I put this thread in the wrong forum. Intended it to be in the Pub but hey we all make mistakes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Don't know how big a celeb she is, but I see Temple Grandin a few times a year. Once, at a Thai restaurant, she & a guy were at a table next to ours & at another table close by were what appeared to be a college aged kid & his grandparents. The grandparents were going on & on about Temple Grandin. Finally, Temple leans over & introduces herself. She wears some sweet ass western wear. In fact Colorado State sells a western shirt that she designed.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Yup I inspected a lot of the homes of Orlando's rich & famous. Joey Fatone was the only one I personally met he was usually home when I did my inspections. Tiger Woods was there when I inspected his mothers house but I didn't speak to him.....Maybe my favorite was super model Tyra Banks. I told my buddies that I had been in Tyra's bedroom, they didn't need to know Ms Banks wasn't there.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2