Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

CDC Director Says Students Are Experiencing More Suicides and Overdoses than COVID Deaths

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 30, 2020.

1. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Good question. Either way, I am sure the demon sperm doctor can cure it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    According to Mary Trump's book, it was demon sperm that conceived Donald Trump. (His father was a sociopath. Like father, like son.)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Hold on, someone threw out that term a couple of days ago too. If that was you, we may need to have an intervention.
    ;);)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Two years in WW I killed about 116,000 Americans. Just over 58,000 killed in Vietnam over the course of a decade, and just under 40,000 in Korea. Only WW II and the Civil War has killed more Americans than COVID-19, which number stands at 150,000, and rising.

Had we not shut down, we'd be likely closing in on the 405,000 deaths from WWII. And all in the span of months, not years!

But the President deserves no blame? BS. We had plans for a pandemic. We ran drills to prepare for the eventuality. The Pandemic Playbook took years to write, covering both the W. and Obama administrations. But since Trump didn't want to give any credit to his predecessor, he threw the playbook in the trash.

150,000. That's 500 times the number of people who perished in the Twin Towers on 9/11. That's about 300 of the largest A-380 airline crashes. And 2 1/2 times the number of American deaths during the worst flu season on modern record, which killed on 60,000. And we didn't shut anything down for the flu like we did COVID-19, which suppressed the number of COVID-19 deaths.

In this country, this isn't the China virus or kung-flu, it's the Trump virus. We could have cut the number of deaths and be getting back to something closer to normalcy had he used the playbook. Instead, he downplayed the severity from day 1, touted bs miracle cures with no evidence, supported states reopening too quickly, and didn't wear a mask for months. Don't tell me Trump isn't responsible, because he is!

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Great! Now we have to worry about the Liberian Flu too?!?!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You do know that Trump was guessing about hydroxychloroquine, don't you? Just like he was guessing when he wondered if people should drink bleach. Trump has no background in chemistry, biology, virology, or any other kind of science that would justify his statements. Furthermore, Trump, being an ignoramus, was not specific in what kind of hydroxychloroquine he was advocating for, or what dose, so people got very sick and died when they rushed to ingest the version of this chemical contained in fish tank cleaner. And they didn't even have the virus! People have a tendency to trust the president on things like this, and an irresponsible president can get people killed.

I do have some blame for the CDC. They botched their first attempt at a test for the virus when they couldn't even follow their own instructions. They gave conflicting advice on whether to wear masks in an effort to save PPE for medical personnel, which is somewhat understandable. Once there was a clear need for people to wear masks (and there were enough to go around), I blame Trump for not getting on board with the message. He refused to wear a mask, which diluted the message that everyone needed to wear a mask. If Trump would have kept his mouth shut and read prepared messages from the CDC, there would be less to blame Trump for. However, Trump has felt a need to put in his $0.02 worth in any discussion, and try to come off as an expert. The CDC does not make Trump's decisions for him.

There is plenty of blame for China. As a communist country with no sense of responsibility to the rest of the world, they are going to lie, cheat and steal if it gives them an advantage in any situation. We have a president who is supposed to provide leadership so that the lying, cheating, and stealing can be kept under control. If we were prepared, it would not matter whether China hoarded medical supplies. Obama and Trump, two incompetent presidents, are equally at fault for not refilling the pandemic PPE supplies. China does not make Trump's decisions for him.

Don't look at the number of people who are wearing masks to figure out why we are doing so badly. Look at the people who are NOT wearing masks and social distancing. Look at the people throwing parties, going to political rallies, eating in crowded restaurants. They are the problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    "A library? What is it?"

"It's a large building with a collection of books, but that's not important right now."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Everything he has done or not done has been deliberate, motivated purely by politics and self-interest, every step of the way. Yet it's "silly" to equate letting tens of thousands of people needlessly die with genocide? I don't see the difference unless someone wants to show it to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't agree with you on this

11. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    That's odd. I work very close to John Muir and my hospital is actually the county's 5150 facility, not John Muir. I haven't seen an uptick of suicide attempts (they get treated by the medicine team before they're transferred to psych). With that said, we recently had an outbreak among our staff, starting with the inpatient psych unit, so it's now closed to admissions along with another unit. Maybe that's why John Muir is seeing an uptick of suicide attempts?

Being a teacher needs a college degree in education I believe. You can't just make waiters or personal trainers into teachers.

As for teachers catching it from kids, it'll happen. Saying it won't is as stupid as saying it'll stay in Italy and won't come to the states, or that it'll stay in NY and won't hit Florida hard. It's a virus, and we have a decent idea about how it can be transmitted. Increased human density and contact will increase transmission, period.

Schools do close for bad flu seasons. Many did during H1N1.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    yeah we know.

13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Can't address the issue, or quit your politics.

All you care about is saving lives!!! (Sarcasm)

14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

You only think the non-college educated have lost their jobs? That's asinine. As for teachers getting Covid, I said in a previous post it will definitely happen at some point, but won't be as prevalent as some have said as long as teachers and students wear masks and social distance. Hardly any schools in the country closed. Lets not make it sound like it happens often. Rarely happens, like a child dying from Covid. Oh, and just because your hospital isn't seeing an uptick in suicides doesn't mean it's not happening other areas. You should know that.

15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Which part do you not agree with? The idea that the CDC does not make Trump's decisions for him, that China does not make Trump's decisions for him, or what?

18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Yep. In fact districts have closed a school or the district for the seasonal flu at times. You do it based on the situation.

It baffles me that so many refuse to see that Education is a Public Health issue. If a school or district needs to shut down for a short period for Covid. Do it. Don't destroy the our kids future with this one size fits all scare crap that continues to be fed to the populace.

We just made the decision to go Private with our younger two. We had already signed up for brick and mortar but as it became clear that districts were going to be dealing with a lot of bureaucracy...we decided they needed more certainty with a clear plan. While I never thought I would pay for K12. All I can say is after our tour I almost felt like we should have already been paying for it. Monday I get to make the call to let our school know we are switching. The sad part is we know they were in line for great teachers (who want to get back in the classroom). But unfortunately the teachers cannot control the bureaucracy of uncertainty.

19. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty much all of it

20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Although there was slight drop in overdose deaths, teen suicides and drug overdoses are sadly both long-term trends raising the question, are the increases attributable to COVID-19 or they the continuation of trend that began almost two decades ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1