Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

CDC Director Says Students Are Experiencing More Suicides and Overdoses than COVID Deaths

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 30, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    https://www.realcleareducation.com/...sing_schools_was_a_grievous_error_110433.html

Or we have this. Kids in a vast vast majority of the US need to be in school learning. Some areas like SoFla and parts of Texas and Cali should remote learn until their numbers get more manageable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Buses - an enclosed tin can, on wheels. Windows shut during the winter.
    packed with kids of all ages. Covid - 19 Super spreaders.

I'm taking my kid to school, he is not getting on any buses.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I said the spike was going to happen the minute lockdowns were discussed. It is why I was always against a one size fits all approach. If a community needed to lockdown. Then they should. Not the whole country. We caused a lot of damage. It was terrible Public Health Policy. And yes Trump was part of it. He should have never pushed for it.

The sad part is so many are in tunnel vision when it comes to Public Health. Then there are the leaders that are using this for control. But that is another topic.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator Nation
    Spikes are occurring in Europe as they open up but not after they opened up schools. Is that a coincidence?

5. FrankGator627

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator Nation
    No, it would just come back when we opened up again...as it’s doing everywhere that’s opening back up.

6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    The virus is running rampant in the US, especially in GOP controlled states
    and of course California.

I agree with an earlier post that said, yes send kids back to school, ONCE THE COUNTRY HAS THE VIRUS on a flattened curve or under control (at LOW numbers).

The US has 1/4 of all the world cases and nearly a quarter of all deaths.
    Haven't checked today but I'm guessing we are still in the 50,000+ a day new cases range.

Now the virus is politicized so a large number of conservatives will support the presidents recommendations: Masks not mandatory, drink hydrochloriquine like cool aid. Virus is no big deal.

The US is not well positioned to combat this virus now. You can't fight a pandemic when 40% of the people are not on board.

Will be interesting to see how many deaths need to occur before the conservative faction reconsiders it's position on this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Israel. Had less than 50 new cases a day. Reopened schools, made no other significant changes, and are now seeing over 1,500 new cases a day. This after closing 15 schools due to an outbreak.

Now Israeli schools admittedly did not do well with mask and social distance policies, but this is evidence schools are hubs for community spread. The kids will likely be fine, but for all adults who come into contact with them over the age of 24, there is increased risk.

Perhaps had Israel done better with masks and social distancing, their results with reopening schools might have looked like the small German study? Can only speculate.

Can also only speculate about what the community spread would be in states here reporting thousands of new cases a day. If one sick kid is wearing a mask in school, spread is unlikely. But what if it's 5 kids? 25 kids? More? Our current infection rate is much higher than Germany or Israel before reopening schools. Hence the bigger danger for community spread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Genocide in America. I don't see how anyone can say that Trump's deliberate, consistent mishandling of the pandemic from the beginning to this day, with over 150,000 Americans dead and counting, is not genocidal.

Remember how Saddam Hussein was condemned for gassing his own people? I don't see much difference.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Not like it's here now. Anywhere else in the world having spread like the US?

10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think they should do away with the buses for now and have parents drop kids off at school.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Mexico, Colombia, Philippines, India, and Brazil. No other developed countries are having spread like the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    There are also studies which suggest that not only is the death rate in children exceptionally low, they also do not pass on the virus at the same rate as adults. When you throw in mandatory mask wearing, social distancing and rigid hand washing being enforced, the opening of schools seems very reasonable. You can also shut down schools at a moment's notice if an outbreak is detected. You will never eliminate all risk.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Wow. Exposure to The flu and COVID. So, open the schools. That makes sense. Btw: what Happens of both run through the schools at the same time? Please pose studies showing that kids don’t transmit the disease. And at what age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Does any other country in the world have the same ethnic diversity as the US? Does any other country in the world have the same mindset as most Americans do? One size doesn’t fit all, and the US is its own animal.

If COVID is like the flu, then all of this shutdown will mean nothing, as people will continue to get sick unless masks and social distancing becomes a permanent fixture in this country. And even then, people will still get sick. The genie is out of the bottle, and it is never getting put back in.

An effective vaccine is the only way to control COVID, along with the hope that COVID doesn’t start mutating like the flu does. But I don’t want to be the guinea pig for that vaccine. And assume the vaccine is for the wrong strain of COVID, then we get another outbreak like this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Aren't other countries controlling it now, without a vaccine?
    Absent a vaccine, the virus could be controlled if we weren't a bunch of anti-science, self-centered a-holes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Man I'm having a really hard time lately reading the same BS from the same posters. I feel like I'm stuck in an episode of Dark.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    BS. It's the only way to control covid NOW. Because we are selfish and screwed up. Period.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Kids 10 and over spread COVID just like adults according to the S. Korean study. There's also a lot we don't know about long term effects of COVID in kids, as well as 20 cases of children dying from COVID in the US. What would that number be if all kids were back in school?

There are just too many unknowns, and what we do know calls for extreme caution. Israel went from 50 cases a day, reopened schools, and is not at 1,500 a day. S. Korea has shown kids no only contract the virus, but spread it, and the long-term health effects on children are unknown.

Social distancing and mask wearing will help, but it's unknown how much it will help, especially in COVID hot spots. Where I live, there are about 2,500 known cases per 100,000 people. In the school system, there are combined, about 40,000 students and staff. Do the math, and between students and staff, 1,000 people already have the virus. And again, known cases, with the actual number likely higher. There are also 40 schools in the system, with more elementary schools than middle and high schools. This means, in the age group where kids transmit the virus the same as adults, there will be around 50 people per campus who are COVID positive. Will social distancing and mask wearing be enough to counteract this many COVID positive people?

There is no study that shows this either way, because no country who has had infection rates this high have reopened schools. We know masks aren't panaceas, and even medical professionals with PPE have contracted the disease. We also know plenty of adults have acted like whiny kids when it comes to wearing masks. Do we really expect the actual kids to act better?

Reopening schools in hot spots carries way too much risk. Israel has shown that schools are hubs of community transmission when you don't take social distancing and mask wearing seriously. And Israel had total cases at a fraction of most populous places in the US. So if we want to reopen schools, we're placing a lot of faith in kids social distancing and wearing masks, and that this will be enough to overcome already high infection rates. And the risk if this doesn't work? High community spread as kids and school employees take the virus home, which will result in more people sick, and more people dying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FrankGator627

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator Nation
    Two months ago the US didn’t have the same spread as Europe. We got it later than they did so let’s not act like Europe wasn’t on the brink. Do I need to go pull the Italian, French, UK news articles from like 2 months ago? Hell, just look at NYC. They went from 20,000 deaths in about a month or two down to no deaths in a day. Now they are opening back up and shocker...they are seeing spread. Europe is also seeing spiking cases as they open up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sas1988

sas1988 Senior

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    Tell me about it. I actually had a dream a few nights ago in which I blocked a person on THFSG for saying the same thing about masks in every thread, it was incorporated into a bigger "Mask" themed dream.

Work has slowed down so much that I think maybe I've been spending too much time here reading. "Step away from the crack pipe, sir"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1