Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

CDC Director Says Students Are Experiencing More Suicides and Overdoses than COVID Deaths

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 30, 2020.

1. FeeBart

FeeBart VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    Both.. Kids are not impervious to this virus: How COVID-19 (coronavirus) affects babies and children

Hell, I was screaming the easiest place to open up was a college campus for summer b with essential service personnel only. Right now I cant see how sending K-12 in person schooling serves any purpose until we at least reach the original CDC Guidelines hurdles. After that, have at it. Duval had a great plan until DeSantis started messing with funding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The context is the exponential jump we are seeing start to happen.

But continue to deflect from that reality by insinuating people did not care about a real problem in life when there is no support of the insinuation.

It fits the script for many right now. Covid is the only thing that matters. It is the only Public Health issue. Heart disease. Not a Public Health issue. Alcoholism. Not a Public Health issue. Mental Health. Not a Public Health issue. Education. Not a Public Health issue. Suicide. Not a Public Health issue (it has already been going up :cool:). Etc Etc Etc. Not a Public Health issue.

Our media and the propaganda has so many stuck in tunnel vision. Covid is real. We have to navigate it. Thank goodness so many Teachers/Doctors/Clerks/Construction Workers/Etc/Etc/Etc are willing to serve their community right now.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    So on top of a COVID problem, we've got a suicide and drug problem too? Great news?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    We have a suicide problem which means there is no covid problem. o_O I’m pretty sure that’s the point.

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Go ahead and keep blaming the media for the clusterbleep of a situation America is currently in. Suddenly y’all care about suicide rates skyrocketing lol, anytime y’all show “concern” for something there’s always an ulterior motive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Point of order, no one has shown any data indicating an exponential jump in suicides.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I see you glossed right over Sweden who never shut down. Had a high death rate for sure but has flattened. My issue is they never closed schools. No teacher reported deaths that i've seen. I get that it's not ideal and some teachers will not come back. That sucks but life has to go on. We can't keep kids home until there is a vaccine. Not sustainable. There have been ZERO reported deaths of teachers getting Covid from students. I think South Florida should be remote to start and any big hot spots should start school remotely. But I feel schools should make every effort to allow kids to attend in person if possible.

8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Suicide rate projected to increase as unemployment jumps from coronavirus outbreak

Just a projection at this point. But if your contention is there is no real data saying suicides have risen substantially then I assume you are good with kids going back to school because there isn't any data that shows students infecting teachers at this point.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator Nation
    Grade school kids are at greater risk from the flu than Covid 19. There’s also studies and debate that say they don’t even transmit it to parents or adults.

There’s also been no spikes in countries that re-opened schools. Based on the actual evidence, there’s no reason to shutter schools this fall.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    No spikes in countries that re-opened schools after they got COVID under control. Important caveat! We'll be a live experiment in how that works when you haven't.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sweden ring a bell? They never shut down. Are they being ignored because it blows a hole in your theory?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    They actually did shut down some schools, and I don't know if they reopened them yet, so does that blow a whole in your argument? As far as I know, the only study people have been citing was from Germany, which has no bearing on how things will go in the US - or Sweden for that matter.

13. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    What’s funny is if we had just shut down and stayed shut down back at the beginning it would be over now. Its the people fighting the shutdown that have made it so we are so bad off at this point.

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sweden's health agency says open schools did not spur pandemic spread among children

Read up before posting bs.

15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    LOL, why don't you read up before claiming its a study worth engaging with!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    There was some good info on risk in today's WSJ, on page 2. WSJ is usually behind a pay wall, so I won't link.
    The title of the article is "For Many, Grasping Virus Risk Proves Tricky."
    But here is some relevant data from the article...

Expected deaths from flu and pneumonia to deaths from Covid...
    Less than 1 year =- 15 times LESS likely to die from COVID
    1-4 years- 10+ times less likely
    5-14 - 5+ times less likely
    15-24 - About the same...
    Once you get to 25+, Covid is more deadly than the flu.

And here's the really interesting part as it relates to schools.
    Risk of workers in Sweden contracting COVID 19, BY OCCUPATION, relative to all other jobs..
    If anyone doesn't know, sweden didn't shut down, so their example is instructive..

Taxi Drivers- 4.8 times MORE likely than the average occupation.
    Bus drivers- 4.3 times
    Restaurant workers- 1.4 times.
    Elementary, middle and junior high teachers- 1.1 times more likely than the average occupation. (Or 10% more.)
    High school teachers- .7 times more likely, , OR 30% less likely.
    Pre school teachers- .7 more likely, or again, 30% less likely than the average occupation.
    Grocery workers- .7 as well.

This tells me that we are fine to go back to school.
    Kids don't get it, and the teachers risk is about the same as other occupations- or slightly less than average.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I was addressing the question you asked. You acknowledged Sweden but weren't asking about it. Sweden is also a little different than a place like Florida, which has much less land and much more population. There are cultural differences, even from its surrounding Nordic countries, that made some of how they handled the outbreak make sense--for Sweden. East Asian countries are also doing remarkably well despite being closer to the original outbreak, but these are countries that make mask wearing habitual. We don't have that luxury because we do things the 'Merican way. We don't have a solid social safety net, we won't protect our citizens when they fall on hard times (and even when we try we attempt to put pork for defense spending in relief packages). We already have parents who fear losing their jobs dropping off COVID positive children at daycare. We are 'Merica and we have to do it our way.

I don't think it should be all or nothing. Students and parents should have the option to attend in person, but the safety and well-being of the teachers should also be part of the consideration. Teachers shouldn't have to weigh their livelihoods over their lives, and they should have options which allow them not to make that choice.

Since you ignored my question, I'll ask again: Do you see a middle ground that would help the economy and provide educators some peace of mind?

18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lets wait until everything is peer reviewed before doing anything! Lets wait 5 years for a vaccine then. See how stupid that sounds? Like I said, there is no data saying teachers are getting infected at school from anywhere in world at a higher rate than in their normal lives. And the next teacher to die from getting infected from a student will be the first one. It will happen at sometime I'm sure but it's been shown to not be prevalent.

19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Basically you are citing a government report that says their policy worked out fine. If you don't think some skepticism is warranted, well I don't know what to tell you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, Sweden doesn't have any data about schools spreading covid. Which is different from schools not spreading covid.

How Sweden wasted a ‘rare opportunity’ to study coronavirus in schools

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1