Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

CDC Director Says Students Are Experiencing More Suicides and Overdoses than COVID Deaths

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 30, 2020.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Just to add to the same old same old...

No one is worrying about the unintended consequences of what the "experts" have told us. Mental health is definitely one of those. Not that we were in great shape before, just like the economy, but the impacts from this "if grandma can't get on the dance floor then NO ONE is immune" nonsense is definitely real...and damn powerful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Here is a recent article on it...

COVID: Americans keep canceling their cancer screenings, survey shows

Here is one from May...

“At the University of Pennsylvania Health System, for example, the number of new skin cancers diagnosed by dermatopathologists was down around 80% in March from early February, according to data shared with ABC News. The data reflect a decrease in both invasive melanomas, the most deadly form of skin cancer, and other more common types of skin cancer.”

Dramatic drop in cancer diagnoses amid COVID pandemic is cause for concern, doctors say

This reality about cancer screenings and diagnosis is about the most obvious consequence people should have seen coming. Much easier for me as March 23 I sat with a Doctor we refer to as we prepared to navigate being shut down from “elective procedures” and a file comes in from a referral where a suspicious spot was seen...cancer positive. While not common on our end. Every time a patient comes through they are getting a visual screen. The first line of defense for oral cancer. Now you get to something like skin cancer...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    We have vaccines for many of those. Other than maybe HIV, few or none have killed the number of people Covid-19 has. There's a reason it's labeled a "novel" coronavirus.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Propaganda? Just about everything you have written here stems from propaganda. The entire first paragraph is based upon assumptions and not grounded in any sense of reality. You apparently think the disease would have just vanished, had we let it run its course, but nothing could be further from the truth. Look at the places where the virus has been contained. Did they just let the virus run wild?

The long term damage will definitely be far worse than it needed to be, but that is due to a complete failure of leadership and the spread of misinformation, like the completely false claim that "asymptomatic spread is rare and uncommon," which you continue to parrot from God knows what propaganda outlet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    From the article...

“During a typical flu season, up to 500,000 people worldwide will die from the illness, according to WHO. But occasionally, when a new flu strain emerges, a pandemic results with a faster spread of disease and, often, higher mortality rates.“

And while there is a “flu vaccine”...it’s effectiveness varies from year to year. In laymen’s terms...I would say there is a partial vaccine for the flu. I am not an anti vaxxer at all. But I do not get the flu shot.

Hopefully SARS Cov2 dies off like SARS Cov1. Considering there is no vaccine or treatment for SARS Cov1 based on the article I posted. I am not saying that means we will not get to a vaccine either.

And the only reason it is labeled “novel”...is because it is a new coronavirus that had not been identified in humans.

Novel Coronavirus

Granted...I am sure that some think it means far more than that. Propaganda at work. :)

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I have never once said it would vanish. But the evidence shows it peaks and levels off. That is what happened in New York. In many other countries as well.

UC Davis Health "limited"

"Based on the evidence from China, asymptomatic transmission may occur and has contributed to a limited amount of transmission of COVID-19 infections."

COVID-19 FAQs for Health Professionals | Coronavirus | UC Davis Health

The WHO without saying like UC Davis...certainly implies the exact same thing. They even acknowledge that presymptomatic spread far less common that symptomatic spread. And they get into the difference in presymptomatic and asymptomatic.

Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: implications for infection prevention precautions

The propaganda certainly has people thinking that this thing is just jumping all over people easily if you just have it regardless of symptoms or stage of contracting it. The numbers do not support that. And the evidence supports that asymptomatic spread is rare.

7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Sweden is one country that remained mostly opened, and only encouraged social distancing. Portugal has a similar population to Sweden, and to date, Sweden about 81,000 cases and 5,750 deaths. Portugal? 37,000 cases and 1,750 deaths.

The argument can be made that Sweden may be better positioned long term, but there is so much we don't know about COVID-19, including whether or not it's truly possible to get the virus more than once.

Sweden has also seen a down tick in cases, but that's after being known as the worst country in the EU, many Swedes took it upon themselves to self isolate and socially distance themselves. If you again, look at Portugal as a comparison, the daily number of cases has been on a low plateau for months, and at about the same plateau Sweden has experienced for about 3 weeks.

What we do know is if we didn't shut down, there would be more cases and more deaths. And it is not certain we'd be better prepared to come out of this on the other end.

• Informative Informative x 1