Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

CDC Director Says Students Are Experiencing More Suicides and Overdoses than COVID Deaths

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 30, 2020.

1. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    CDC Director Says Students Are Experiencing More Suicides and Overdoses than COVID Deaths

Center for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield said in a Buck Institute webinar that suicides and drug overdoses have surpassed the death rate for COVID-19 among high school students. Redfield argued that lockdowns and lack of public schooling constituted a disproportionally negative impact on young peoples’ mental health.

"But there has been another cost that we’ve seen, particularly in high schools," Redfield said. "We’re seeing, sadly, far greater suicides now than we are deaths from COVID. We’re seeing far greater deaths from drug overdose that are above excess that we had as background than we are seeing the deaths from COVID. So this is why I keep coming back for the overall social being of individuals, is let’s all work together and find out how we can find common ground to get these schools open in a way that people are comfortable and their safe."

Where Redfield obtained his data is unknown, although a doctor at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, CA claimed the facility has “seen a year’s worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks.” He did not say how many deaths occurred, or whether the statement was exaggerated for emphasis.

"What I have seen recently, I have never seen before," Hansen said. "I have never seen so much intentional injury,” said a nurse from the same hospital.

This is not shocking at all, people meant to interact with one other, not to be locked up.
    Schools should fully reopen, just have some rules in place.
    This is another example of why we shouldn't have ever locked down. The only people that should is those susceptible.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Suicide rates have been on the rise in America for the past 20 years. As much as you would like it to be, it's not some new phenomenon that started after quarantine.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I fully understand your point. This is torture for the social species and our economic well being. You seem to be saying, screw it, open up and cull the herd; the strong will survive. I’m sure you’re not the only one. These kinds of life and death decisions are made by the herd as a whole, and have been in this case.

4. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    • Informative Informative x 4
  6. FeeBart

FeeBart I like When Gators Hit People! VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    Sending kids back to school in Florida With our current numbers is infanticide and asking for trouble.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This is all well and good for the students. 5 principals in our local school district all just suddenly retired. Teachers who are eligible are filing at an exceptionally high rate.

It is all well and good that parents want/need their children back in class rooms, but it is irrelevant if there is no one to teach them. They can sit at home and watch on-line classes just as well as sitting in a classroom, unnecessarily exposed and eager to carry a virus home, and still watch on-line classes since there are not enough teachers.

As I am typing, a childhood friend and a 27 year teacher of special-ed students in Palm Beach county just texted that she turned in her paper work. She has been battling breast cancer for years.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    While I agree with the careful approach to schooling the kids seem not at risk - almost no one has died under 24 as of yet. The actual risk seems to be what they’ll spread through the rest of society.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. FeeBart

FeeBart I like When Gators Hit People! VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 5
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Here’s my question. Has any teacher anywhere in the world been proven to have contracted Covid from a student and died? If so I’d like to see that report. Sweden, how many have ripped on here for not shutting down, didn’t have any teachers die as a result of getting it from students.

I think at minimum elementary students should be in school, since it’s known younger children don’t transmit the virus like older kids and adults. But if teachers want to retire, then that is their choice. There are millions of people out of a job, I’m sure there will be people willing to take that job.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you know that there's some truth to this and this has to be considered a great concern

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They do, they are just trying to minimize it because it puts a thorn in their argument for keeping schools from having in person learning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with you on some of this, but once again you've taken what I've said and spun it fit your agenda. I think if parents are that concerned then keep your kids home. But I also believe it was a total waste and stupid to shut down, I've never tried to hid that. As for all of us making decision as a herd that's only true if we go along with your way of thinking

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The equation is the teachers and support staff. If enough opt-out there is no school. Yes people are out of work but if they are not trained teachers than it is nothing more then daycare.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I just told you suicide rates have been on the rise the past 20 years. Just pretend it's February 2020 again and continue to not care about the rising rates.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    what happens to the psych health of the kid who brings covid home that kills his parents/grandparents?

• Winner Winner x 4
  18. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Side note: does anyone find it perplexing that kids are killing themselves for essentially being bored?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
  20. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Israel reopened when they had fewer than 50 cases per day in the country. Then the numbers spiked. If no teacher died from transmission it was likely because they reopened at what seemed the safest time to do it. Do you really think the U.S. has the numbers to justify reopening? Israel had a day with just 10 cases about the time they reopened; we had over 60,000 new cases just yesterday.

More than one thing can be true. It is true that this is hurting the economy and ruining peoples' lives. It is also true that we don't have a handle on the situation and that people are dying. But all or nothing plans are not going to work. Sure, maybe unqualified people will take newly vacant teaching jobs ... but along with lives lost are you eager to see the state of educational quality plummet? You care about the economy right now but what are your thoughts on the future of our country with untenable plans and mandates?

Do you see a middle ground that would help the economy and provide educators some peace of mind?