Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

CBS Democrat Debate...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Feb 25, 2020.

1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    I’m getting verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So are they TRYING to get trump re elected? Hard to tell sometimes....

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Speaking of dementia, how about Trump's comments on unemployment when he was running in 2016?
    Trump and the Truth: The Unemployment-Rate Hoax
    Then there's this story
    Trump says illegal immigrants pouring across the border to vote
    There's also this
    Donald Trump, a literal billionaire, just said on national TV that wages are too high

4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    It sounded like pandering to me. I am probably voting democratic in the next election but Biden made a couple of decent sound bites but if you dont think he looks out of it out there, I dont know what to say.

5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Biden is not my first choice and I do think that he suffers somewhat from diminished capacity and unlike the current occupant of the White House whom I also think suffers from a similar affliction, Joe Biden does not also suffer from malignant narcissism, and if elected would appoint competent advisors and actually heed their advice. Joe Biden realizes that he does not know everything about everything and also unlike the current POTUS would actually put the interests of the country before what would benefit him personally. Just an opinion but I also believe that there is a fairly good chance that Biden if elected would voluntarily serve a single term.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    I'm a life-long Democrat, but that was a shameful performance last night. By the moderators, as well.

7. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually the opposite is true with Trump. Giving Trump credit where credit is due, he's a naturally gifted insult comedian and has the gift of spouting punch lines without really thinking. He also has the tendency to use the same lines repeatedly and they continue to draw applause from his fans.

9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Do you see Bernie pulling big support from Indy's I really don't.

10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Not sure he needs “big” support from indy’s, it’s not like there’s a chance in hell independents or suburban moms are going to show up in droves for Trump after already turning against him in 2018.

I would assume there is some loss among independents, but then there is some pick up with enthusiasm from the Bernie bros. It’s probably a wash in that regard compared to someone like Biden. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    He's all over the place here in SC. Every local TV show- there's an ad for Steyer. On-line too.
    I'm not sure what good its doing, but I appreciate the help to the local economy.

12. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    While I recognize it must be painfully difficult for you to watch this field of Dem hopefuls cannibalize themselves and your overall desire change the subject to Trump, this isn't even close to the same. Creepy Joe Biden, fighting for his life in the middle of a presidential debate, saying 150,000,000 people of died from gun violence since 2007 is just another in the long line of WTF gaffes he has made on the campaign trail. Given his age and the absurdity of some of his more recent gaffes, it's only going to get worse the longer he stays in it. No wonder Dems are rallying around a Communist.

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Not sure I would tie the lack of turnout for the mid terms with lack of Trump support. Often mid terms are the only way the party not in power can do anything to fight back.. See 2010.
    I don't know one woman who voted for Trump last time who isn't voting for him again.

14. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    I have noticed on Facebook, there are a surprising number of youngsters posting in open support of Mr. Trump. I've never seen anything like it, frankly. The admiration and support for this president, especially in more rural areas, cannot be overstated. I think he will easily outdo his 2016 turnout in rural counties and that's saying a lot. He annihilated Romney's 2012 numbers in many northern Florida counties.

15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Well yeah, if the turnout for 2018 were representative obviously Trump would lose in a landslide.

As long as the economy doesn’t freefall, most likely it will be very close - more like 2016 than 2018, and it really shouldn’t even be close for an incumbent President but for the fact Trump is Trump. Mostly it comes down to whether the dem candidate can outperform Clinton in some key states.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Sen Sanders said Pete has the backing of billionaires. Wow, hadn't heard that before. Oh, wait, yes I did ONE WEEK AGO. He did the same thing four years ago: STOP saying the exact same talking points from debate to debate. We all have TV, we all saw the Nevada debate. Get some new material.

17. altalias

altalias GC Legend

Aug 13, 2008
    We just elected a one term senator with no record and a reality show star back to back and THFSG is trying to figure out how independents will react to Bernie. Good luck ladies and gentlemen I don't have a clue. I will suggest that logic does not seem to apply. Think outside of the box.

18. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They both share the 'miserable' gene.

19. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Self described "independents" are all over the map ideologically. Some, like Bernie himself, see themselves as independent because they feel the major parties aren't extreme enough. So, there's no guarantee that a candidate in the middle is any more attractive to independents--particularly when Trump himself is far from moderate.

More importantly, every party member that you convince to vote is worth literally 10+ independents. 55-45 split of independents would be a massive, unprecedented blowout. That still only gives you a one vote advantage for every 10 independent voters. A more realistic 5 point win is only 1 vote for every 20 independent voters.

Meanwhile, party members vote for their party's candidate 90-95% of the time. So, convincing 20 party members to vote instead of staying home gives you an 18 or 19 vote advantage. That's equivalent to over 350 independent voters, even if you win independents by 5 points. It's far more important to energize your base than to win independents.

20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Put another way,

Hillary lost the Independent vote 46-42. About 43 million self-described independents voted, meaning Trump gained a ~1.7 million vote advantage by winning independents. How much would Hillary have needed to boost her turnout to counteract those those votes?

50 million Democrats voted in 2016 at an 89% clip for Hillary. If she increased that just 4% to 52 million Democrats (much larger swings happen in real elections all the time), Trump would have lost any advantage he gained from winning independents.

Granted you need your increase in votes to come from states that actually matter to the electoral college. Running up the score in California won't help you win Michigan. But the point remains that it is far more valuable to market your campaign to the people who will vote for you 90% of the time than 55% of the time (and even then, only hopefully).