Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

CBS Democrat Debate...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Typical Bernie Bro nonsense. DNC does not hate Warren.

2. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Well, last summer she felt like she had to do outreach to them to reassure them she was a team player. I'm not particularly convinced they like her anti-billionaire politics either.

What Elizabeth Warren Is Quietly Telling Democratic Insiders

3. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Warren won her seat in 2018 by 24 points. DNC doesn't 'hate' her and they aren't going to primary her.

4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I get that. I won't vote for Trump, Bernie or Biden. I probably would vote for Bloomberg but I would strongly prefer voting for someone who isn't going to need depends in his first term. Biden support is beyond me. An idiot who is in cognitive decline isn't the answer to Trump. Maybe in a two bad options situation you vote for him but before super Tuesday shouldn't we be trying for better than an idiot slipping into senility.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. wgbgator

Maybe they don't hate her, but they don't love her either. And if they would support a challenger to Ed Markey from his right, they'd absolutely do the same to her. The DNC doesn't like progressives, never has.

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Is the party supporting a challenge to Markey because he is a progressive or because he is 74 years old and maybe they decided it's time his seat was filled by a younger more dynamic individual. Joseph P. Kennedy III isn't exactly a right-winger especially considering the progressives that have endorsed him including John Lewis and Joaquin Castro, who by the way also endorsed Elizabeth Warren for president. Others who endorsed Kennedy include the co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, Congressman Mark Pocan, and the Caucus’s chair emeriti, Congressman Raul Grijalva.
    John Lewis, Joaquin Castro, and 16 Other Dems Just Endorsed Joe Kennedy

7. wgbgator

Well, that's exactly how old Warren will be when she's up for reelection, who I've been told absolutely wont be primaried nor should she be worried about one.

8. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    A Kennedy running for Senate in Massachusetts doesn't mean that the DNC hates progressives. That's what Kennedys do. The victimhood that Bernie supporters like to revel in is one of the things that most annoys me about them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    There is no logical basis for his argument. It's Massachusetts. It's a Kennedy. It's not a DNC conspiracy to oust a progressive. But that's the narrative Bernie supporters want to believe.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. wgbgator

First of all, I don't understand what this has to do with Bernie. And jumping in to support a guy with a famous last name against a reliable progressive vote in the Senate would seem to back up many people's criticisms of the DNC, especially since the DNC seems to hate it when insurgent Dems attempt to primary incumbents. At the very least its hypocritical. And also, your statement of "that's what Kennedys do" makes it seem like its some kind of birthright for them to have a Senate seat - that's also the criticism!

11. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    It has everything to do with Bernie. Your attitude is that the DNC doesn't like progressives like Bernie and is actively working against them. And as an example you're pointing to a Senate race in Mass where a progressive is being primaried. Do you know that the DNC establishment all got behind Kennedy and encouraged him to run for the seat? Of course not. You're just making assumptions with nothing to back it up. It's not even clear if Markey is that much more liberal than Kennedy is.

It's all the same kind of victimhood I see from my Bernie-supporting friends. Half of them still think he was somehow cheated out of the nomination in 2016.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. wgbgator

I don't think Bernie was cheated out of anything, but its absolutely true they prefer more centrist, corporate friendly Democrats and tend to think of progressives as a troublesome element who aren't team players. I don't begrudge them for that, that's their preference, and I think everyone should be primaried, Markey is not entitled to anything either. But its pretty obvious what the dynamic is, and there aren't many principles behind their objections to "insurgent" challengers going after incumbents. They want people to fall in line, and they want their candidates to be in line with their preferences.

13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe she won't be running for reelection in 2024 because she will be the AG in a Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden or even a Mike Bloomberg administration. I know there is a lot of animosity between Warren and Bloomberg but there was also real animosity between Lyndon Johnson and John Kennedy and much more recently between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, at least during their primary campaign.

14. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah that's kind of how political parties work. But I think on a local level, Dems are happy with anyone who can run and win as a Dem. The problem is that on the national level, ultra progressive policies make it harder for candidates in purple districts to win. And that is where control of the House is determined -- in the centrist districts, not the ultra liberal ones. So yes, your AOCs do cause problems for a lot of Dems who are from much less liberal districts than she is.

That said, the Senate race in MA has little to do with any of this. That's just about a Kennedy's political ambitions.

15. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    have you noticed that when Sanders speaks he gestures with his right hand on EVERY syllable? It's like he's "writing" in the air.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Worse for him was that incident led to a charge of plagiarism while he was law school. He was almost tossed out of school as a result.

17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I just saw some of the highlights... What a freaking clown show that was.

18. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

19. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    And of course, you were a totally unbiased observer.:)

20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Yeah I don’t mind Bernie himself so much, but the constant drum beat that everyone else in the party are corrupt sellouts is tiring. Same thing with the constant complaints about “unfair” media coverage.

Just get over it. If he wins, he wins. If he doesn’t, deal with it. It’s frustrating because it feels like his supporters are holding the party hostage. Either they get their way or they stay home again and give Trump another term.