Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

CB discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Dec 31, 2019.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If he embraces being Star next year I think he will get a LOT of attention in next year's draft. This year just did not play as well as I am sure he wanted.

2. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    I think strength is his major disadvantage. Like someone pointed out he is in position to defend but just gets out-muscled by other receivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    I don't really think we missed him....the guys that normally get beat or miss tackles did the same thing. Elam played really well for CJ. I guarantee if CJ were covering the dude that Elam intercepted at the goal line that ball is completed and the game is much different. CJ wouldn't have been "all in" the way that Greenard was. I actually was happy CJ didn't play because he would have been playing it safe (see VH3 a few years back), but wish him the best in the NFL.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    He should go ahead and take the money and the NFL coaching.

He has spent the entire season looking at the NFL and basically just mailing it in imo. Not gonna change if he comes back for another year. If he does, fine, but I'd rather just see one of the younger, hungrier guys start next year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. drcgator

drcgator Freshman

Nov 19, 2017
    I just don't think he is physical enough to play that position. He has very poor effort in tackling too many times. Chauncey knew all the plays, was a quarterback in the back 7 and was very physical. Dean has the physicality but he doesn't cover well and doesn't know what he is doing. Davis, in my opinion, is by far our most physical safety and has good coverage skills so maybe put him at star, but then that exposes the safeties even more than they already are -- that area is a major weak link moving forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Good News Gators - help is on the way. At CB and Safety. More speed at Safety for sure. Good competition makes for a better D. Hope we can play tighter man in ‘20.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Wilson is a great Gator and glad to have him on the team. Not a fan of starting negative threads on current players.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. thug-gator

thug-gator Recruit

Sep 10, 2017
    I have an idea, why don't one of you guys with all your speed and athleticism step from behind your keyboard and sub in for him. We where 4-7 just 3 years ago, now we are 11-2 and still some of you are complaining.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. sflgator05

sflgator05 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't really understand what our record as a team has to do with the fan base critiquing one player's play at his position.

The NFL takes the best players at every position and unless Marco is going up against the best receivers every game then it's clear he is not making plays. I think most of our fans would love to keep him on board for somewhat selfish reasons but we would also like to see him make a career out of this in the NFL. He's not ready

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I mostly agree. But I think he comes back because the NFL is going to take a pass on him. Maybe that will motivate him for his senior season.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

I agree but, I think the d backs coach needs to change his coaching technique. Guys are out of position a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    He might be, someone has to be. Why hate to say it, hes a player. Elam and Wilson could be a great pair together.
    We need to find a play making safety.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    he was our best DB last night.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. thug-gator

thug-gator Recruit

Sep 10, 2017
    I don't understand how bashing current players help the situation but its done on a daily bases on this board, so if you think you can do better get in the game and prove it. I respect the hard work these kids put into playing this game, but they are kids and its just a game. I am a GATOR fan and only a GATOR fan so I could care less about a NFL career.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    What I hope Marco does is watch his tape. Prior to the game he said he had tape to show he's ready for the NFL. Hopefully his tape is all the snaps he plays so he can see that he's an incredible talent but hasn't played with the same consistency since his injury. And then do with that what he will.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. eViLG

eViLG All American

Aug 18, 2013
    Ocoee, FL
    Our best DB is a true freshman who wears #5.

• Agree Agree x 10
  17. RAC

RAC Freshman

Dec 10, 2008
    Gainesville
    Marco needs another season at UF. I think we all can recall significantly more poor plays by him this season than spectacular plays. Too many plays where he missed / whiffed on tackles or never got his head around on a pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Why do you say that he is the best we had this year.
    Truthfully ,CJ will be Combine star but seriously I’m not sure is value is near a first round. But I felt Teeze or Hargraves were both overrated.

19. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    I didn’t say anyone was the best this year. I said I bet Elam is the best we have next year (season)

20. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    I wish Cj nothing g but the best.
    Marco needs to come back and improve his stock. Not bashing. He needs to be more physical. Put on some good weight and play lock down not soft. I think he has the talent to do so he just has to get it done. Get with Savage and get a warriors mentality.
    Henderson, despite his short comings, always had a warriors mentality leading up to this year.

Elam is going to be very good. I still think dean would make a decent safety and Whittemore would be a good star.
    Kimborough got beat...as freshmen often do but he showed a lot of potential. And Hill got enough playing time to build on.

• Agree Agree x 2