Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

Catholic Church Sexual Abuse in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Aug 14, 2018.

1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]
    © Mark Scolforo/AP Photo
    The Most Rev. Ronald Gainer, the Roman Catholic bishop of the diocese of Harrisburg, Pa., discusses child sexual abuse by clergy and a decision by the diocese to remove names of bishops going back to the 1940s after concluding they did not respond adequately to abuse allegations, during a Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2018, news conference in Harrisburg, Pa. The bishop apologized to victims and said the diocese is posting an online list of 71 priests and others in the church accused of the abuse. Following the Erie, Pa., diocese, the Harrisburg diocese is the second Pennsylvania diocese to get ahead of a roughly 900-page grand jury report that could be made public in August 2018, which the Pennsylvania Supreme Court said found more than 300 "predator priests" in six of the state's eight dioceses.

Time is ticking down to decide what information to black out in a forthcoming grand jury report investigating child sexual abuse in six of Pennsylvania's Roman Catholic dioceses. The state Supreme Court set a Tuesday deadline to publicly release a redacted version of the roughly 900-page report.

Some clergy members named in the document say they're wrongfully accused and are fighting to challenge the allegations against them. The high court says it'll consider their claims in September, but in the meantime ordered the report released with the identities of those clergy members concealed.

Court records say the report identifies more than 300 "predator priests" and that grand jurors accuse church leaders of brushing aside victims to protect abusers and church institutions.

Deadline looms for release of Catholic church abuse report

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]
    (Max Rossi/Reuters)
    View of Cardinal Theodore McCarrick’s cross as he attends a prayer at Saint Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican in 2013.

The ongoing scandals are the bitter fruit of a corrupt clerical culture, marked by a widespread failure to accept traditional teaching on sexual morality.

Perhaps it would be more reasonable for me just to describe the experience of being a priest, especially during 2001–02, and at this moment of crisis for the Church. Sitting in my small living room in the rectory I shared with another priest in the summer of 2002, I spent one sweltering evening surfing all the news channels. Each one, without exception, was leading with, and in great detail, descriptions of the “abuse crisis in the Church.” The horrors of Boston, the cover-ups, the malfeasance: It was relentless, nauseating, and exceptionally depressing. The grotesque sins — crimes — of some priests had besmirched the priesthood, leaving all priests, in the eyes of many, “potential pedos.” The biblical image of “striking the shepherd and the sheep scattering” came to mind very easily. If ever priests had been on a pedestal, it had now been quickly kicked away, and with some glee. The anger, revulsion, and desire for change were all justified ...

The U.S. bishops, charged both with being spiritual fathers to their priests and with the duty to protect their flock, rushed through what was called the “Dallas Charter,” to protect minors and put in place measures to discipline and remove priests, and others who worked for the Church, who had been “credibly accused” of abuse. Notably, the bishops themselves were not subject to the charter’s disciplinary measures ...

Catholic Church & Sex Abuse: Priest Reflects on the ‘Summer of Shame’ | National Review

3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Its really hard to see the Catholic Church as being anything more than a massive pedaphile ring. I know that it wasnt its purpose but for centuries peculiar men were given a place of honor in society where instead of being shunned they were lauded and given access to children. I wish the rico act could be used to prosecute or at the very least strip the criminal enterprise of its wealth.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    A former Catholic archbishop will serve a maximum 12-month sentence in home detention for concealing child sexual abuse, an Australian court has confirmed. The decision means Philip Wilson, who resigned as archbishop of Adelaide after his conviction, will avoid jail. Wilson is the world's most senior Catholic cleric to be convicted of covering up sexual abuse. Wilson will immediately serve his sentence at a relative's home, where he will be monitored by a tracking device. The court in New South Wales had previously ordered Wilson to be assessed for home detention. He will be eligible for parole after six months.

Abuse-concealing bishop to be held at home

5. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Are you labeling the entire Catholic church a "criminal enterprise?"

6. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Owing to the immense power of a “gay lobby,” as it has been called by critics within the Church, and to the unwillingness of the press to report the full facts, most cases of abuse reported in the past 30 years were not of pedophilia but of ephebophilia, the abuse of teenage males by older men — in this case, priests who had taken vows of celibacy. Make no mistake, it was most certainly abuse, it was often a crime, and it deserved serious and life-changing penalties …

Catholic Church & Sex Abuse: Priest Reflects on the ‘Summer of Shame’ | National Review

7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Not the laity, just the heirarchy.

8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It's hard to argue against it, when they found 300 predator priests in only six of the Catholic Diocese in Pennsylvania. That's UNREAL.

The Catholic Church has to change on a fundamental level. A good place to start would be to get rid of the nonsense about celibacy for priests and nuns, and allow them to marry.

Why would a normal heterosexual want anything to do with that organization?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The problem with the catholic church wasn’t hat there were abusers in their ranks.
    It’s that the essentially coveted for them and put the well being of the church and even in some cases the advisers above their parishioners.
    I completely understand that as a church they have a slightly different obligation in how to treat people - redemption, sinners and all that...but some things you have to far more secular and practical over. This was the lesson they needed (and in some ways still need) to learn. These scandals, if they continue, will eventually bankrupt the church, and worse, have their flock lose faith and stop showing up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Its rampant all around the world. And that's just the cases we hear about. There are tons more we will never know about. The US, Australia, UK, Canada, and South America are the worst. We hear a lot about the boys that are abused and raped. But priests also rape nuns (much easier for the cartel to keep that quiet) and girls.

This is a fascinating docu-series,

The Keepers | Netflix Official Site

Catholic Church sex abuse cases by country - Wikipedia

11. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    I agree on the celibacy to an extent. But its primarily the system of secrecy, shame, cover-up, and dogma that allows it to run rampant and unchecked. The Vatican/Archdiocese does not properly screen new priests when they enter the seminary. Nor do they test or screen priests throughout their careers for any issues.

But as long as you're basically an extension of 'god' on earth and have all that power, and can say three hail mary's and be forgiven of all your disgusting sins against the most innocent people (kids) on the planet, the scandals will continue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    My nephew was just ordained in May to be a Catholic Priest and I have to disagree on the bolded statement. The screening he went through was extensive. I think his total time from high school graduation to ordination was 8 years. I know that not everyone who started with him, ended up becoming a priest.

13. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The keepers is so heart wrenching.

I’d be disappointed to learn that Apple was covering up sweatshop working conditions, but certainly not surprised. They are a corporation and the bottom line is their bottom line. But the church? Isn’t their bottom line supposed to be goodness?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Aug 31, 2009
    It's hard not to come to the conclusion that too many priests are not even Christians.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Over 1000 victims and 300 priests that they could identify in just one state. How many are still unknown?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2018-8-14_19-49-48.png

17. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I have posted before that I think the main problem is that The Catholic Church, like so many institutions, has a business model that has been failing and instead failing it "tweaked" it. So instead of dealing with predatory persons (read identify and remove) on the inside, it tried to deflect and rehabilitate them. That way it could survive and prosper is it did in the past.

As I have said many times, expediency is truly the work of the devil. The Church has been expedient for way too long.

18. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That's unbelievable. One thousand molested people THAT THEY KNOW ABOUT in one state alone.

How any parent could allow their children to be a part of that is beyond me. I wouldn't let my kids go there without several armed bodyguards.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't confess to know a lot about the Catholic Church, but it seems that there's plenty of anecdotal history through the years that a or the primary goal of the church has been to maintain the church's power and position.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To an outside observer like yourself, for sure. But to the grandma that never misses a Sunday? No way. Even to the government, who treats religions quite distinctly from corporations.

Yet, this is indeed an institution that clearly wants to protect its own self image, to the point that it’s almost certain that they developed protocols to conceal these atrocities. Right there in the same place that people go to be saved. I don’t at all view Catholicism as a fake religion, but at the same time, this can’t be what Christianity looks like. So tragic.