Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Castleton officially returning

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Jayhovah, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Jayhovah

Jayhovah Premium Member

May 15, 2007

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    We needed that

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It at least keeps the floor under the team, to where we can hope for better (despite having a crap ton of roster turnover). Castleton, as our only actual reliable big, would have been a big enough blow that I could have seen us sliding to a losing record. No way to replace his 30 minutes consistently, and small ball would be matchup nightmare against a few really good teams. I don't see this as a top 10 roster, but with Castleton's return at least we can set the bar at top 30 and hope it works out this time. On paper it's a decent roster that hits all the notes, but you always worry about a bunch of new guys coming in for 1 year if they can gel quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If KJ doesn’t come back, it is going to be tough to finish in the top half of a loaded SEC this coming season. Kj’s heath and safety need to be the 1st priority, but it sure will be great if he can play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    If KJ (by far UF’s best player ahead of Castleton) were 100% healthy we’d have probably top 20 type team, but it’s hard to expect that. I wasn’t considering him playing. Frankly, it’s hard to imagine him playing at all just based on what we saw. Whatever it was, it was some type of cardiac event, not sure I’ve ever heard a person successfully resume a high intensity sports career after that (and obviously we all know the few famous tragedies for those who tried).

I almost hope for his sake he retires and focuses on school and considers life beyond basketball (or perhaps coaching). Of course the doctors know more about the relative risks involved. Maybe the risks aren’t as bad as I assume. But it’s really hard to get that incident out of mind and imagine him playing.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Don't mean to hijack, but what's the latest on Scottie Lewis? I really think he should have come back for another year, but maybe his game was damaged goods and he needed a change of scenery. Will he transfer or go D-league, overseas?

8. trump4life

trump4life Senior

Oct 7, 2020
    Think SL and TM did not sign with agent like CC did and can not come back.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The first time I see a knee taken in disrespect for the national anthem, I'm turning basketball off anyway. Scottie who? Can't shoot and is a developmental league player at best. He should have come back and concentrated on improving his offensive game.

The good news is Castleton is back. The bad news is Castleton is back. He has got to hit the open man when he gets double covered before I can get excited about his offensive game. He also loses his man on defense too much prompting CMW to sub him out of the game too often. It would be nice if he bulked up some and played less selfishly like Patrick Young did. NBA? Not a snowballs chance in hades unless he makes some changes.

If Keyontae Johnson comes back, I'll be shocked. If there is even a remote chance what happened last December can happen again, he shouldn't return to playing status.

Overall, the 2020-21 team was so selfish and played such poor defense that the games became unwatchable for me. I'm happy that there was a wholesale change on the roster. Get the players and get the chemistry established is the biggest key. Baylor has proved you can win with transfer portal players coached up to win.

2021-22? Hope for better than we got, but afraid it will be about the same, likely NCAA tourney and out in round 2. Hate to think it, but UF could be the SEC's Kentucky 2020-21 in 2021-22. Crash. Burn. At least I'll be pleasantly surprised if this team delivers good results in a big way.

10. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Scottie signed with an agent and thus won't be returning.

Scottie Lewis is impressing some folks at the NBA combine

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    He came in with such promise - a sure fire NBA prospect. In two years did not develop any semblance of an offensive game. I don't think he's tall enough to play the three in the NBA and he doesn't shoot well enough to be a two. Will probably have a good career overseas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He’s the classic case of an athlete that made it based on being so much more athletic than everyone around him in high school, but maybe his skills were lagging behind a bit compared to his elite athleticism.

But in college that isn’t always the case. In most SEC games (or any major conference), there might be a couple guys on the court with equal or better athleticism. That happens to a ton of players, and why it takes them all different timelines to adapt (some never adapt).

I thought he had a decent mid range shot, but it was inconsistent. But man his handles were shockingly bad, and the 3 needed some work too (and not having that is a deal killer in NBA terms). There just wasn’t much improvement year 1 to 2, but it was a strange year with all that went on so shouldn’t be too judgemental Maybe he develops as a pro. The potential is still there but he needs to be a gym rat working on catching up his skills.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    Better hope we strike gold like Baylor

14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    he signed... not coming back to college.

15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Every time you hear the National Anthem play, you better be standing up silently inside your house, hat off, with your hand over your heart, lest you disrespect it. I'm sure you never sit on your couch while it's playing. :rolleyes:

And make sure you don't turn off the TV until after it's over...

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What I do in the privacy of my home is my business and none of yours. :rolleyes:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I was only making a point, which you clearly missed. Obviously, it’s none of my business, nor do I care what you do in your home. But... if you are going to be critical of athletes taking a knee during the anthem, you should make sure that you are not being hypocritical and follow all the anthem respect protocols yourself.

19. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Integrity is doing the right thing whether someone is watching, or not. Doing it for the cameras isn’t showing integrity.

I am not requesting anything, I am just pointing out the hypocrisy and feigned outrage over National Anthem disrespect. As a Soldier I know the rules very well. I also don’t feel as though a private citizen taking a knee during the anthem in peaceful protest is disrespectful, nor would it make me turn off a basketball game. My point is why stop the criticism at taking a knee? If we all want to start policing anthem respect then let’s start with ourselves first and follow all rules before calling the other guy disrespectful.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    It’s not about integrity. It’s about representation. NBA players are employees during that time. Not some random guy sitting at home. Just like you when you put on your uniform as opposed to sitting at home in basketball shorts. I’m sure the expectations are not equal. Cursing on the job vs cursing at home, in private.

Now that argument has advanced to OLYMPIC athletes being “pissed off” when the anthem plays while on the podium. As they’re representing our country. Shameful.

• Like Like x 1