Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Castleton and Duruji came to Play!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bullish, Dec 31, 2020.

1. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Finally, something other than small ball. Duruji looked more focused and was active around the basket which he hasn’t shown much up till tonight. I was most proud of him making shots and going to the rim with the determination to score with some powerful dunks that he came in so fast the Vandy players could only foul him but he still completed the dunk. Awesome Anthony! Castleton ate Vandy up and slammed them around. He showed he is a great transfer and is going to keep getting stronger. Vandy might not be good, but his points and rebounds in their house will sound off around the SEC, they have some game around the basket.
    What can you say when Scottie is getting more comfortable with this team. You could probably say he is now the leader on the the court, now that Johnson is sidelined. His steals, blocks and ultra quickness gives any team fits.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    We won’t always get those kind of nights from castleton but his upside and future is very exciting.
    Duruji gave us exactly what we will need and what he can provide. He is an excellent compliment to this team, and capable of the bigger role.
    Tonite was as proud of a gators team as I’ve ever been.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    O
    Agree! This was for Keyontae! The team played like they were on fire. This is what it is going to take every night. Hopefully Tre gets that his handle is decent, so he needs to keep things as fast as he can go. Too many turnovers but some moments were good. Defensively, it seemed everyone is buying in. Appleby is a good player coming off the bench, whether he is spelling Tre or Locke. We have the meat, err, some weapons that are going to grow each and every game. Tennessee and Arkansas are well coached and are going to be tough, the rest of the SEC will be competitive. If covid doesn’t rear its head, it is going to be exciting to watch as we come together.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Duruji really gave us a lot that we needed with KJ out. Really looked like an athletic power forward. The only thing that limited him was the foul trouble.
    Castleton was extremely efficient and never tried to force things. Altered some shots too, things that don't show up in the stat line. He's got to have a lot of confidence after tonight.
    Lots of guys had good games tonight, but one that really stood out was Appleby. So crafty with the ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Some early signs of life from Castleton, but this performance was outstanding. Great ball handling and touch from above.

• Like Like x 1
  6. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Pretty much agree with every post. Dont know what to think about all of the harmony and good vibes here. Think I'll have another cup of coffee and get ready to peek into Swamp Gas.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OllieGator

OllieGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Finally a couple of bigger guys that can defend and score the basketball.

Duruji looks the part and hopefully he is getting more comfortable playing with a new team.

I’ve been impressed with Castleton’s defense this year.

I’m glad both those guys are Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Premium Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Duruji looked like someone who knew he was getting playing time last night and was under control. Felt like he had been pressing in the other few games. Great to see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Congrats to the team, an inspired effort!
    Well done!!!

10. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    While both guys did something nice with the ball in their hands, it was the drive and dishes that made their games soar. The Mann/Lewis/Appleby thingy is going to be VERY entertaining this year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    The team was able to do something last night that often escaped them last year. That was to hold a lead once they built it. The Commodores started closing the Gap but our guys responded and stretch the lead once again. Hats off to them and all the coaches for being ready to play this game

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'm not well-versed in the DDO at all, but to my limited understanding, that's what it's supposed to create. Keep attacking the lane and either taking it or dishing it. Requires aggressiveness in the ballhandlers.

Our press was a joy to watch, particularly in the first half. Seems like a long time since we've seen that, maybe 20 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. OllieGator

OllieGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed! We need to press more!

14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That was a nice game, and basically what we all probably thought we would see a lot of last year in terms of tempo. Hopefully it’s sustainable and Mann + Lewis needed that 1 year under their belts to truly get confident at this level. Obviously there’s the strong possibility Vandy is just bad, so we’ll need to see if a high pace can be sustained efficiently.

We will almost certainly need to run at this pace as our preferred identity, as KJ was probably the most efficient half court guy with what he could do as a matchup nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is more than a strong possibility that Vandy is bad. Their defense was non-existent. Other than Pippen Junior, there does not seem to be much talent on the team. I loved Mashburn as a player, but it remains to be seen whether he can cut it as a coach.

16. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Let’s not start suffering the victory quite yet. We are 1-0 on the road in the SEC. We can start suffering after the next win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe it was because of Vandy's overall lack of size, but when Duruji got his 3rd foul in the second half, we went small.

Since neither were in foul trouble, I was hoping we might see Castleton and Payne together for a few minutes or perhaps Osifo, who never played

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank goodness for the depth this year!

19. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Pippen Junior looks very good, maybe All-SEC caliber. They had a good number of others who were solid but no one really stood out. Some good shooters, like Vandy always has.

20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I thought you were going to say that the team can finally push the ball. No more passing backwards to Nembhard to walk it up the floor. No more hesitancy to attack the rim. We’re getting alley-oops and dunks all game. Even our shorter guards are attacking the hoop. I expected Locke to be the guy who keeps defenses honest to guard the perimeter, but Mann’s shooting has been a nice surprise. The absence of KJ has forced Scottie Lewis to be more aggressive. He knows that the team needs his scoring now, as opposed to being icing on the cake. It was very interesting to see how the guys stepped up to fill KJ’s void. If KJ somehow returns this year (which I think he should if there are no lingering problems found) it will only make the team better.

• Like Like x 1