Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Carson Beck, 2020 QB from Jacksonville Decommits from Bama.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Gatorrick22, Jan 24, 2019.

1. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    I learned a while ago that I wasn't able to make the call as to which qbs had NFL arms. Maybe that is what Beck's critics are saying-not an NFL arm.

Sure as hell has all the arm he will ever need to excel at the collegiate level.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm no expert but I can say that in all the years I've been looking at these kids throw the ball he has what it takes to get to the NFL with proper coaching. But a TON of other things have to happen first. Right now I'll settle for someone that can be the Gators' QB in the SEC in two years. Let's see how he progresses this year first. Some people might be getting way a head of themselves here. I just want him in Gainesville.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Legend

Apr 29, 2007
    69% completion percentage. I’ll take that all day every day.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly! That cannot be overstated.

5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    It's hard to tell. He completed a lot of long TD passes but after watching his highlights a lot of that was YAC. He under-threw a lot of deep passes and his receiver had to slow down but I guess under-throwing is better than over-throwing as long as he doesn't get picked. At any rate, I don't see an exceptional long ball arm. He's no Trevor Lawrence or Matt Corral arm strength wise but has exceptional touch on the longer balls.

His accuracy and touch on short and medium passes is off the charts as is his timing. Really very decisive. Wish I'd seen more designed running plays or more plays where he had to used his feet in the backfield. Looks like he had all day to throw the ball all season long. Are we recruiting any more offensive linemen from Mandarin? How about receivers?

Glad that Rick mentioned Chris Leak. Beck reminds me a lot of Leak, very precise, calm, cautious. There's not an overwhelming physical dimension to his game. It's all mental. More surgeon than gunslinger. Nice quick release, reasonably quick feet but an extremely quick and agile mind.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    High completion percentage along with a buttload of TDs and yardage. That's what I've missed from the QBs we've recruited recently.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nice analysis. I have not watched his film. Long balls are nice but short and medium are the bread and butter so that's fine with me for now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He drank my last beerssssssss.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    DW ish?

10. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    His highlight clip is not exactly riveting. He's not the kind of QB that has you on the edge of your seat. But nor would you be holding your breath expecting him to do something stupid. The only thing that surprises me is how little athleticism is on display. I hate using a Matt Corral comparison again but he shows nowhere near the escapability or natural open field running ability as Matt.

I wish there were more decent sized, highly rated dual threat QBs around this year. The only other QB that interests me is the big pro style QB from Chris Steele's high school team. Think Feliepe Franks if he'd played for IMG.

• Like Like x 1
  11. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Stronger arm, more velocity putting the ball in tight places. But the same zen like presence.

• Like Like x 2
  12. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Somebody else watch his clips. I probably don't know shit. Just good at looking at video for long periods of time. Used to spend days watching people edit TV commercials for me. "Look. She's biting but not smiling."

13. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I have no doubt that he'll be a Gator. It's crazy the similarities to him and Tebow have from a Gator connection standpoint (not skill wise):

Both from the Jax area
    high school baseball players
    Was down to either Bama or UF
    Once he gets on campus he'll be behind (going off an assumption) a 3 year starter
    Will be our most "celebrated" recruit next year but not even our highest rated offensive recruit

14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I watched Corral's film enough to know exactly what you mean. I thought on some levels Corral was incredible.
    Do you like Anthony Richardson? Maybe he's not gone. Someone else will show up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I think he'll be a Gator but hopefully not the only QB we get. It's really helpful to see what these high school junior QBs do in Elite 11/Nike Opening competitions. We just don't know how Beck measures up against the rest of the pack.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I watched one vid of Beck's and noticed much of the same except I did see him force some throws that were catches but another receiver was running wide open. He might have made the correct read initially but missed the defensive adjustment that left a mismatch or someone uncovered. Otherwise he looked very capable in the pocket. I'll be very happy if we get him.

17. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I liked him more and more as I went back and watched clips. If he's as coachable as Emory Jones, he'll be a star somewhere. He's a more powerful runner than either of the Joneses. Looks like it would hurt to tackle him. Haven't seen any 40 times for him but he outruns a lot of defenders. Definitely under 4.6, which is faster than Emory Jones. I hope we still have a shot with him.

18. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Will be interesting to see what he does this fall. That offense was built for a cocky, do-it-all QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    And he has one more year to get even better. This guy might be better than most people here think by the time he even gets into a Florida uniform. I will be following his progress.

20. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    He is all gator FYI.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1