Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Carrier Employees, Soon to Be Laid Off, Feel Betrayed by Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jan 11, 2018.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah, I've spent my whole adult life understanding markets just so I could stick it to Trump when & if he got elected.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Well if that’s not the case then quit acting like it with your hyperbole.

3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh, I very much hate Trump too.

p.s. What's it like to like Trump & dislike hyperbole?

4. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    It’s very confusing at times.

Some things I like, some I don’t.

Don’t like it when he speaks without thinking which is daily.

I Like it when he nominated a conservative to the USSC and the other court appointments.

I’ll judge him on his actions not his big mouth.

After four years we will look back and see what he did, not what he said. To me talk is cheap and he uses it to stay in the news. It got him elected.

One day someone is going to write one hell of a book about him as president.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The article could have found someone better to interview from the plant. She made it sound like all Carrier employees are dice-shooting, card-playing drunkards who are only looking out for themselves. Wasn't there one employee that could have been interviewed at a library or a church or outside the plant, doing something other than getting drunk, playing cards or shooting dice? It kind of undercuts the message of them being a family--they're a family of drunks, from initial appearances. I'm not sure I would want to keep them on the payroll.

6. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

This is old news just being rehashed to off-set all the good news.

Fact is that trump saved a lot of jobs and the lefty coalition would've let all of the jobs go......Obama told you himself that there was nothing that could be done short of a magic wand

7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is exactly what many of us said was happening with all of these announcements, large companies trying to get won the good side of a clear narcissist who were always going to do what was best for their bottom line regardless of him. A phone company gave credit to the tax cut for a bonus even though they had planned and approved it prior, a manaufcaturer who was already planining on bringing jobs here giving trump the credit etc. Its a clear pattern, but Trump still eats it up each and every time, he doesn’t care whether it’s true, he cares about taking credit. Companies know this and cater to it for their own ends. It’s kind o funny to watch actually, the only one who doesn’t seem to understand it is trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    It's lobbying. If the mayor of San Juan had praised him, he'd probably be gold plating the island.

9. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

EXACTLY

we just went through 8 years of a president who when it came to manufacturing jobs, he shrugged his shoulders, told those who were losing their jobs that he couldn't do anything about it without a magic wand and that they would have to re-educate themselves to compete in the "new economy"

but since he spoke politically correct, he was a good president?

Give me a break

some people priorities are WAY out of whack. Which is exactly why politicians have become so good at being nice to our faces and stabbing us in the back

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    What about the companies that have announced that some of their savings from President Trump's tax cuts are going to pay raises and bonuses for employees? There were going to do that regardless?

11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Some were, some are legitimately doing it because of the tax cut, others in response to competitors who are doing it for one of the first two reasons.
    Every dollar that gets back into someone’s pocket is a good thing, but the massive bulk will go to corporations and the wealthy. Corporations will use much of the money for stock buybacks, incentive pay for senior management, and infrastructure of various types. A dollar an hour on new employees is a rounding error for Wal-Mart. And one time bonuses don’t do anything to help the long term financial picture, as welcome as they are.
    None of that is worth another trillion in the deficit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ses-undercut-by-ceo-plans-to-reward-investors

12. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    I don't know about all that, now. Again, I was talking about the companies that have come out and specifically said they are applying tax savings toward employee bonuses and/or raises. I doubt they were making those distributions without the tax cut. And if some are doing it for benevolent reasons whereas others are only doing it in response to competitors, well, it still comes down to the tax cut being what led to it happening.

13. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    You might spend some time at a bar too if you just found out you were losing your $18/hour blue collar job with no real prospects of finding a similar paying job. Regardless, from Archie Bunker to Cheers to The Simpsons, the story of a blue collar worker spending some time in a bar after their shift is older than I am.

14. g8tr80

g8tr80 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So that makes the mayor of San Juan a total idiot. You are 100% correct. And she is.

• Winner Winner x 1