Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

capitalism & Skullz!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by docspor, Dec 12, 2019.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    this is most def Too Hot material cuz thanks to capitalism I can't make any ROI off my hard work. But the spotify fat cats, etc. make tons of dough.

I'm 54. I made my first album. But, I caint quit my day job!! Even though it is on all the streaming services, I'll never see a dime. But, if you, gentle listener, wanna hear it listen on yer fav streaming site or herin
    specs.
    me - songwriter, guitars, most bass, vox
    CJ: bass on 3
    BK: everything else
    NSFW, explicit lyrics, offensive.
    art: my 15 yo daughter

thanks

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Congrats on cutting your first album, doc! Knew you were into music, didn't realize you played sang. Liked the one song I heard.

You won't see me criticizing the criticisms of capitalism :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Can I ask where you recorded this?

4. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh, yes. Nothing I like talking about more. Short ans: It was recorded in BK's cloud shaped studio - which is a cold basement about 1.5 miles from where I live. I was the first to record there. BK is an extraordinary musician. He's 30. I met him as my son's guitar teacher. I've known him for about 5 years. In my late 40s, I joined my first band.....just old dudes in the hood. It was great. We'd smoke bushels of weed, & drink bourbon from the bottle. We sucked but had fun. I insta-thought, band, I should write songs. I did. after several years, the band fell apart kind of badly.

I was in my gym & saw BK & he asked what's up. w/o thinking, I said, "well, my band crapped out, I wanna make an album." He said that yeah, I think switching from alcohol to pills & making an album is what you should do when your band breaks up. It was a joke. But, it turned it into a real goal mainly cuz I wanted to see what I could do with my tunes.

It was recorded mostly on cold mornings in BKs cold basement. Not glamorous. & ironically only under the influence of coffee &/or peach fresca. I rilly spent a lot of time asking, "why am I doing this?" I'm old. No one gives a shit. But, I told myself, 1. I get to work with this amazing musician & that was intimidating, but very rewarding (upon finishing, he asked if I wanted to make another which blows my mind - &, oh, I do, & god willing, I will!! i got 10 more tunes ready to roll)& 2. I want to make these songs for ME. I did. & I love them. anything else is a bonus. I recently read Jeff Tweedy's book & he sez if more people created, maybe the world would be a less destructive place. I don't know if this is true, but nothing has turned me on more & made me want the world to work out for everyone. Thanks for listening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  5. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    I asked because I know studio time can be expensive. In any case, thanks for back story. I think it's very cool, whatever your age. It might sound corny but you should be proud for following through on it; I hope you do so again I know it takes some courage to put yourself out there. Also, this has got to be one of the best stories I read on too hot in a long long time, if because you're an old bastard (actually I'm fifty so I can say that lol), and you did something that seems much less bucket-listy and much more a dream of yours. I've liked what I've heard thus far too. I'm sure you have your influences in song-writing but to my naive ears, I hear Petty and Dylan among others; also get some punk rock vibes.

By the way, I know you wrote that you did it for you, but seriously, you created art and put it out to the world. Doesn't matter if it is commercially successful (though wouldn't that be nice :) ). What matters to me is that you created it. And by the way, your daughter also has some talent.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm probably a bit biased, but I think my kid has some skillz. We took her to a great Monet exhibit down in Denver. She seemed engrossed.
    [​IMG]

this is BK...a guy so good that he can play a guitar with a guitar! Never saw this live, but I've seen him play the hell out of a guitar with a drumstick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm jamming to it now. If I wasn't on the other side of the continent I'd love to jam with you guys. It's fun. In the 90's I had a fostex 4 track home studio and came up with a 45 minute tape. My friends and family dug it (or maybe they were just being nice lol). Keep it up brother, this is some good stuff! :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Good Stuff! It sounds really well mixed.

:emoji_beers:

9. wgbgator

wgbgator King of the Tuck Tuck Sound Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Do you need a tambourine player?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    thank you. It was done using logic software. it was the guy's first time recording/mixing an album. our personalities are complimentary. He's a a stickler for detail. I am not. He used a nice blend of technology & old school. some of the solos are me playing sorta the same thing twice & layering them on top of one another. He likes "happy accidents". In in the desert, I hit a tri-tone (the devil's note) in one take. I thought we'd do it over, but he convinced me to keep it. & in that song, he lost the click track when he was playing drums & so just speeded up.

the technology available is nuts. one example. Long after I'd recorded vocals, he bought a plug-in which is a famous room in a Columbia studio. So, there is a digital rendering of the room. You can choose from tons of mics, you can choose where to place the mic in the room & you can even open or shut the door. Also, you can edit every single drum hit. It's crazy.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    How much does that software cost, and can it run on windows 10?

13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    logic is apple. It's $199. Pro tools is the popular windows software. I think that has an annual cost. Heck, you could have a lot of fun with garageband which you probably have on your phone. you'd need a way to interface with your guitar...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Love this thread...………. For those from the 70's early 80's around O-Ville - PAT TRAVERS BAND baby!! Go for what you know!! Still rocks my world!!!!

"Were going to leave you with one from our very first record, this is a tune called": "It makes no Difference!!! - Rocken baby, rockin!!

On a personal level docspor I still consider myself one of the great: "Air-Guitar" leads of all time!!! lol

Wish I had an ounce of musical ability, I can't even read music but I sure love to listen!!!

• Like Like x 4
  15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Boom Boom Out Go the Lights! Bubba Whopazz Wilson and Jeff Howell. Good times!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Knight - You NEVER fail to cheer me up!
    In your honor, I am going back in time - Pat Travers on the IPOD, (HEAT in the STREETS) Do-bie in hand, shot glass at the ready!

docspor - didn't mean to get off topic, cool music bro! Glad there are a few of "us" left!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Good stuff! A little grateful dead, some dylan, Tom Petty, 'stones...a lot of old school influences/ingredients in there. Totally dig'n it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    thanks. We actually used Exile on main street as a guide for how to mix the piano in. A couple of tunes are piano driven so the piano is pretty forward. Others have it off to one side (if you’re listening in stereo). The stones tended to bury it a bit more b/c they needed to make more room for other instruments. Most of the rhythm guitar here is pretty plain Jane

• Like Like x 2
  19. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Hall of Fame

Feb 10, 2016
    How much does it cost to make a demo tape? I'm in the Jacksonville area if it makes any difference.

20. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Exile is my favorite Stones album. Sticky Fingers comes in a close second.