Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can't we just be happy for a win

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorPrincess8, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Do you really need a link or do you doubt the post? Any search engine will take you to their message boards.
    Our fan base is no worse or unaccepting than any other big time program that has has success. I’m sure we all have friends that went to some of the universities (LSU, FSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Ohio State, USC for example) and even after wins, fans express frustrations over certain things. No different here and it will always be that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    You need to use Microsoft Edge for you browser.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BoliviaGator

BoliviaGator Junior

Sep 22, 2014
    Prague, Czech Republic
    The first fumble in the 2nd Quarter...

Changed the game. We were about to go 14-3. Really expected the floodgates to open. Our pass rush creates even more pressure. A couple cheap INTs and we win 31-3. We learn nothing, everyone (correctly) talks about how green their OL is. We perhaps get a false sense of ‘we’re back.’ Get humbled later.

Instead, we ‘got humbled’ AND won a character building dogfight. A learning experience and something to build a special season on.

I’m not saying that will necessarily happen, but sometimes an ugly win overcoming adversity is not a bad thing. Folks, that was a helluva football game. Passionate, fiercely contested in-state college drama.

We won. Beating Miami never will get old for a guy that remembers Kosar, Mira, Brock Berlin, and NYE brawls. Go Gators

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Ok, I'm using Silk on my kindle fire.

5. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    We beat scUM. 'nuff said. GO GATORS!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Totally disagree.
    I have family who went to Auburn and OSU. all feel the same often.

Dabo was very upset with fans last season after a W.

‘The Clemson coach threatened to leave the program if it ever got to the point where winning by even just one point wasn’t enough and he laid into anyone and everyone whose thought process he disagreed with on this particular matter. ‘

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    You're welcome! That board is ugly, and that was before the game.

8. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    I told them Helluva game and one guy said I would be banned like wtf.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    They turn on their own, look at some of the pre game posts if a cane fan predicted a loss. Those people are vile, and if this board acted like that it would rightfully be shut down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    As there should be...

I'm thrilled with the win... but if I'm Mullen, I love this game because there's so much room for improvement, in spite of the win.

1. Franks handling pressure in the pocket
    2. Tackling
    3. Turnovers
    4. Stupid PI penalties (which I thought most of which were bad calls)

We won in spite of all of those things, almost trying to give that game to Miami... The fact that we have a week off, then another game before we open SEC play, it feels like that's just what the doctor ordered.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If we keep winning, the rankings will take care of themselves...

I don't think we quite have the depth to be a playoff team just yet... so our goals should be the East and perhaps beating the Dawgs in Jacksonville...

EDIT: Obviously a win over the Noles... but that should be a goal every year... :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Feels soooo much better waking up on the winning side of that ugly game.

The rabid gator fan and Miami hater wanted to win convincingly and not let Miami get any positive publicity for all of their trash culture and antics. Number 4 on their sideline went out of his way to push Townsend when he was leaving the Miami sideline. Had we put them down 14 to 3 when we had the chance our defense fires off on them even earlier and I Think we have the outcome we all expected.

With that said we should have lost that game. I held my breath as zuniga went down on the last drive as I thought surely the defense would finally break with all of the extra chances we gave them through penalties.

I'm ecstatic we didn't lose that game but certainly disappointed all the reports of Frank's improvement seem to be untrue. I'm happy we won but my expectations are extremely tempered not because we played sloppy as that is normal foe a first game but that the offense once again looks seriously hampered by inconsistent play at qb and poor run blocking

13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Ask and u shall receive

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That’s a fair assessment

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that we were exposed early on... especially because we won the game...

Maybe this showed the coaches some things they wouldn't have otherwise seen...

And now, we have time to correct it...

Though I agree we didn't play like the #8 team in the country last night, I don't see any reason why we can't finish the season as the #8 team in the country, or perhaps even better....

I do think we're at a point, however, that we know exactly what we're getting with Franks... and it's just limited... he needs good protection or he reverts back to bad habits and forcing the ball into coverage. I'm hoping the OL gets better as the season progresses which would make Franks and the offense as a whole look better...

EDIT: Something else of note, Miami's defense seems like it's going to be legit. They didn't quite have the pass rush that we did... but those LBs are dudes...

• Like Like x 2
  16. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Where is your Gator spirit? We’re #1! ;)

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I’m happy this morning. Beat Another in-state rival. It’s a great day

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    I can feel and think multiple things at once

1. I’m thrilled we beat Miami. In the future all we will remember is a W

2. Worried about this year due to QB play. We have a CFP caliber squad but I’m real worried QB play will sink it. Too many boneheaded plays

3. Worried about next year. Franks either needs to be good enough to go pro after the season or he’s not good enough to keep the job. Franks as our QB next year would be a disaster

19. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    another excruciatingly painful
    --win.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  20. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Other teams don't have painful wins though? A win is a win, and it's an even bigger win when it's a win over a hated in state rival that had owned us 7/8 games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1