Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can't we just be happy for a win

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorPrincess8, Aug 25, 2019.

1. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 All American

Dec 12, 2009
    With as much hype as there was coming into the new season, it's not surprising to see this reaction after a game like that. You can be happy with the win but also remain concerned about the play.

Not quite sure why some on this board want to criticize posters for sharing observations.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Observation is fine, but outright saying players coaches suck etc. I have a problem with.

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Silver lining is that’s a game we unquestionably lose the last 5 years yet they fought through mostly poor performances. I’m not suggesting team wide reach arounds as a reward but they deserve some level of appreciation from us for fighting through it and coming away with a w

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. GatorPrincess8

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    They should get accolades for fighting through, I 100% agree with this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. flagator1978

flagator1978 Senior

Aug 20, 2015
    Palm Springs, California
    Which makes me happy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. flagator1978

flagator1978 Senior

Aug 20, 2015
    Palm Springs, California
    A win is a win in my book. Yes we had some issues on both sides of the ball but in the end we managed to pull it out. That would not have happened under the last two HC’s. This team did not give up. I also believe having played this as an opening game will help us as we move along this season. We have a few weeks to clean it up.

As far as the polls, I could care less. Personally I don’t think polls should be released until the 1st week of October. Right now it’s a guessing game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    With that offensive line I just do not see that as a possibility? The only way Miami was going to stay in the game with us was if we turned the ball over numerous times......

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    So your kid's team lost. Shouldn't the winners of the game be happy? We almost lost to Vandy in 1996, but I think we're still happy we won.

We were down at the half and came back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Why does it matter if someone is “happy” or not after a win? Can’t some just accept that others react and feel differently? How do you assume some aren’t happy we won, but are also using a message expressing their frustrations with some things? That will ALWAYS be the case and it doesn’t make someone lesser or whatever. I would love to see you ask that question to Spurrier after a game like this. He would put this question in perspective real quick.

10. GatorPrincess8

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Am I happy with our play? No, but I also don't degrade kids either.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Either do I - that wasn’t the topic of your thread though, and there is a huge difference. You still side stepped the points in my first post. I am curious if you would ask Spurrier “why can’t you be happy - you just won?” when he would be telling it like it is after his team played as poorly as this (and coached - which he would always own up to).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  12. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Sophomore

Jun 22, 2007
    I'll take a sloppy win over Miami every time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    He gets paid to worry about such issues, and in the big picture can do something about it. We are just fans why bemoan a win. It's a form of entertainment why make yourself miserable about it? Especially a win.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  14. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    Initially at the end of the game I was more relieved with escaping with a win than I was happy. As some time is passing, I realize that ANY win over Duh U is a good thing.

For those fans without any particular interest in either team, it was probably fun to watch.

To those that want to say there are fans bashing the team or our fans suffer a win, and are essentially bashing our fsns, etc. I would say that I'm sure Gators fans are happy with a W, but there are lots of things to be concerned about too. Lots of things.

We've been hearing how jacked our run game is going to be, that our receivers group is second to none and that we are the real DBU. None of that was true in game one.

We saw an extremely undisciplined team and that is squarely on the coaches. That's one of the things I'm most disappointed in.

We were fed a buffet about how much Franks has matured, improved, turned the corner, was a leader, etc. That wasn't true for game one.

We were told ad nauseam about how much better things get in year two of a new coach and staff. We'll know if that's true much later in the season.

So for me, those are things to be concerned about and even not happy about. But I will put all of those things in a box labeled "Miami Game" and hope they stay there.

However, I will also be watching closely to see if this game was the teaching moment many say it is and if those issues mostly stay in that box.

One additional note, it seems clear that our coach has some of the biggest brass balls out there with his calls of fake punt and 4th down attempts, so there must be something in this team that he likes and trusts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    It seems that I’m in the minority on this board but I’m extremely happy. Under the last couple of regimes we lose that game. Miami is a good team. In fact they were projected to have more wins than us this year by many. They will also most likely be favored in all of their remaining games. Everything that went wrong for us is coachable. The biggest question going into this season was the O line and they performed admirably. Anyone that thought we would just roll a rival on a neutral field to start the season was delusional. There’s a reason that we lost 7 of the last 9 games to them.

• Like Like x 5
  16. GatorPrincess8

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    No, I wouldn't ask any coach that because it's their job to correct mistakes. Fans are suppose to support. That's all I'm saying.

17. stp_gator

stp_gator Junior

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    There’s plenty of improvement to be made and lots of film room material for coaches to focus on. We easily could have lost that one, but we didn’t. We survived! Hats off to the D for coming up with 10 sacks! Of course we all wanted to spank dat scUMmy azz but a win is a win. Our schedule is favorable with a bye followed by a cupcake, lots of time to get our heads on right. Coach ‘em up, Dan! Go Gators!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    No.

19. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    I never knew that a fan expressing their frustrations (along with our Beat writers) are labeled. For me, I have no problem with it, even after a win.

20. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 Junior

Nov 21, 2014
    I had no idea the first game of the season on a massive stage against a quality opponent we’re supposed to be 100% perfect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1