Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can't help to think

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by toprowgator, Dec 7, 2019.

1. toprowgator

toprowgator Freshman

Jun 24, 2019
    we may have witnessed the beginning of the "end" today. Still early and my fingers are crossed, but …

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I find myself hoping that the Thunder continue to lose so that the timing for Billy to make his glorious return works out.

• Agree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I thought that after the FSU game. This game wouldn't have meant anything to me as a loss if he had beaten FSU and this game puts you 6-2 instead of 5-3.

On the bright side, winning the Charleston tourney puts us above .500. Imagine if we fell below .500 after being ranked so high in preseason...

I've long said no chance White is on any type of hotseat. You need to at least miss tourney completely to go there imo. But if *this* team falls below .500 I'm not so sure. I guess we'll see how it plays out. White has at least had a knack for pulling teams off the brink of disaster (going 2+ years now). Now that his elite recruiting class is on the books, that's really all there is left sadly. Need to start performing, esp on offense.

4. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I’m in the same boat. Would have thought it unthinkable, not sure that’s the case anymore. The fan base is on edge.

5. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I feel like that Chiozza miracle shot probably bought him a little bit more time than he would have otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I said it at the end of last year, this was his defining season to save his job long term. So far he isn’t passing the test.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Instant credibility, respect and recruiting resurgence although recruiting is not the weak point of MW's tenure- it is what he has done with talent once it has gotten here that is disturbing!

8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I find that hard to believe, this team had a couple of decent looking games in Charleston, although outside shooting %'s can obviously skew things a bit to make things look better/worse for an offense relative to how it's "executing" - the raw numbers are just so bad I just don't get these comments. Maybe he's trying to boost their confidence or something, but it seems sort of delusional.

Did Florida miss some open shots vs. Butler? Sure we did. But still, putting 26 on the board in the 1st half (and that was after a very quick 5-0 start), and in the 2nd half for awhile we were looking like we would struggle to hit 50, until a late/garbage time surge put us on 60. So really, from the 19:00 in the 1st half, to the 5:00 or so mark in the 2nd half, we were on an utterly abysmal scoring pace... again, similar to the FSU game, we played THEIR style, we played Butler styled game and they are quite simply much better at that style of game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Eventually recruiting will become an issue if you can't show the recruits that you can deliver

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    If this was the best we've played offensively, that's even more pathetic than our performance was

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    When fans don't bother to watch the team play whether on TV or in the stands....the seat will get hot. I'm afraid we are in for at least two additional seasons of an inept offense. Our brand has been tarnished as of late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Good lord, the best we played on offense this year. Tre showed some flashes, but overall, the offense was terrible. Tre 1 of 5 on threes, KB 1 of 6 threes, 4 of 4 near the hoop, he should be forced to work underneath the hoop as much as possible, AN 1 of 4 threes, Locke 3 of nine threes. This is chucking the rock all over the place, except not scoring. It would make more sense to drive to the hoop every time we have the ball. The three ball, only when this is bailing out the person trying to score inside.
    Eight more 2 pt shots would of won us the game with a higher percentage of shooting the rock. But no, we chuck and heave with the green light. Not only not scoring but giving Butler another quick score due to them having a working offense. I thought the same thing when I read his comments.
    Up and down we go, when it stops, no one knows.

14. melrose12

melrose12 Senior

Jun 25, 2019
    Why are people surprised with our shooting. Besides locke most shot lousy from 3 in high school. We have good athletic players, who did not have to shot well to be good.
    Lewis, Johnson, even Mann, did not shot well. Now they are suppose to shot 40 % or better.

15. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    And yet, White insists on a very deliberate, plodding half-court style of play. I'm not sure why he's recruited the players that he has if that is the offense he wants to run. He needs to prioritize shooters if he wants to be successful running that style of offense. So bizarre!

16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In Mike White's first four years here, his players averaged .345 per season from 3PT (.319 - .370). This year, so far, his players are averaging .291. I think it's easier for people to see the drop in percentage than it is for people to know about the high school shooting history of all the players that have played for Mike White here.

I would turn the question around, if we're not expected to be a good shooting team, why are we launching so many 3s?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

17. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    If we continue to see such awful play, and I think we will, most definitely fans will lose interests, attendance will suffer, and this team's confidence in the coaching will nosedive. I believe this team is more talented than what it is showing and it goes back to coaching. What we are seeing is NOT an aberration, we've seen it over and over again. We get excited when the team shoots well and has an occasional great game only to sink back into stink ball, which is the norm. Bottom line, low attendance and missing the NCAA tourney may very well spell the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Still awful early in the season. I don't disagree with the criticism's which are valid however I want to think Mike can rally the kids up and make some noise in the SEC. At least that is my hope.

19. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    If it takes two more years of this before a move is made, the Gators will lose a lot of fans. I for one will not watch two more years of offense that looks like this. I love basketball too much to watch this program be turned into a dumpster fire.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    If we're going to have limited scoring, at least play elite defense like Virginia and win games 48-34. lol