Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Candy's Mock post Auburn

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Oct 10, 2019.

1. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Franks was putting up big numbers, being efficient with the ball (not fumbling several times a game), and was leading us to huge wins one after another going back to last season. It would have been ridiculous for Mullen to replace him absent a total meltdown or injury. It's guessing to say you're "pretty sure" we wouldn't be looking as good with Franks, but his production and the W's while he was starting for us aren't guesses, they're facts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I would think CDM made his decision to start Franks based on leadership, running ability, and experience. I would have made the same decision if I were given the choice.

However, I believe that in terms of leadership, Trask, while quieter, is gaining the team's respect with his play, and the experience box will be a wash after this season. The deep ball is so rarely thrown that it hardly matters that Franks can freakishly heave the ball 70 yards. So, it's going to come down to whether Franks' running ability (which could possibly be limited returning from injury) outweighs Trask's better vision of the field and quicker processing through his progressions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DomiGator

DomiGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL, what big wins? A bad FSU? a totally unmotivated Mich in a meaningless bowl? almost lost to a bad Miami? or actually losing to a mediocre KY?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Yep, beating FSU, Michigan, and Miami back-to-back-to-back were 3 huge wins for this program. Not sure about you personally, but I know that Gator fans everywhere celebrated each of those victories with relish.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. ripster

ripster Freshman

Feb 14, 2019
    I did. I'm not sure why Trask grabbing his opportunity and shining becomes an indictment on Mullen. Who knows if Trask was this ready last year. After a successful year (and great ending), do you pull a known quantity that was performing well for a unknown? Mullen's getting national recognition for having three quarterbacks ready to go, but we're questioning his priorities and judgment? What if Trask gets hurt and Emory beats Georgia. Is that another indictment of Mullen's judgment not to have played Emory over Trask. Don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    OK, I'll give you FF and I'll take KT. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    It does not. And it's not even close. Our O is so much more dynamic and productive under KT. The only thing limiting it is the fumbles and crappy OL play. If KT eliminates the fumbles and OL plays decent, it's great. The O was pretty painful to watch under FF against scUM and UK. Kinda like last year until the last quarter of USC and the halfassu and Mich games.

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Many would agree.

9. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    All should agree.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. DomiGator

DomiGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you still living in the 90s? It would be true if it's 90s or early 2000s. Yes we celerated and all. But label them as HUGW WINS? LOL

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  11. DomiGator

DomiGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I almost thought you meant we beat GA, Bama, and Clem back to back to back.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I think context is important. While not at the level of the past, beating those teams is always huge. And 2 of them blowouts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DomiGator

DomiGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Pleas don't sugar coat it. Mullen already made multiple bad decisions (he's a good coach and I'm happy to have him, don't get me wrong). However, he made huge mistakes 1) have Knox over Seider, 2) didn't pursue Burrow when he's available, and 3) didn't recognize Trask earlier.

Please tell me one reason you have Knox over Seider, the only reason is familarity. Knox is his guy. FF is "his guy", he is pre-determined.

Just like FF likes to do in the games, pre-dertermined where to throw the ball regradless the the game situation.

Just like he ran EJ at a critical jucntureof the game on our 25 yd line and wasted a drive that we could never recover from. The resaon? It was "pre-scripted".

All coaches make mistakes, they all thought they are great and can do anything. The famous Mcelwain "dog" quote, and he ran off Grier to start his guy "Del Rio", etc.

Joe Moorhead bragged his scheme and play calling when he took the Miss St job and had a lot people thought he's an upgrade for quite a while, stick wtih his guy (PSU transfer instead of Schrader) etc.

Mullen is still an old school coach that wanted to stick with his guy and his style. That's why Saban is such a great coach. Overhual his entire O philosophy at his age, unbelievable job.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Yes, maybe they should, but all don't.

15. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Junior

Jan 26, 2016
    I think the offense will change dramatically next year and EJ will be the best fit. We lose all our WRs, by far our best position group. The OL will take a step forward and the TEs will become a major strength (if they haven’t already). Therefore I see the run game and hitting TEs as our bread and butter. I think EJ and FF can do that about as well as KT and EJs running ability relative to FF adds more to the offense than the difference between FF and EJ in the occasional throw downfield.

However, it’s hard to know what we have in Copeland, Wells, and WRs that haven’t played much. Grimes decision will be huge in terms of what this offense becomes next year.

16. ripster

ripster Freshman

Feb 14, 2019
    It doesn't sound like your "happy to have him".

I can't believe we're still talking about Seider. Where in left field did this come from. Oh yes, Seider is why we lost to LSU. All hail Seider the king of running backs. Move on my friend. O wait, I forgot, we lost to LSU because Frank's was the quarterback? Bad Mullen.

So essentially you're arguing that because Mullen didn't go get (assuming there was real interest by Burrow) another unproven (at the time) QB is your big mistake he made. Those things happen and are hardly and indictment on his judgment and priorities for the program.

Mullen was tasked with fixing an offense and rebuilding a program that two staffs prior to that couldn't do. He brought in guys he was comfortable that could run his offense...to fix the offense and establish a culture. I think he's doing well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    As i've stated, since we're more pass first, Trask fits this scheme and mold better. When we're balanced, I think it fits Franks more due to how Mullen loves to use the QB as an additonal running threat. Conversly, it was nice seeing KT be aggressive as a runner last Saturday. If only our interior could block

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Grimes, Copeland and Toney will be back. Plus Pitts. Hopefully we sign Henderson and he's the real deal. We'll be pretty good at WR next year. Hope DM is smart enough to keep playing KT if he sticks around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Grimes and Toney (even if he wasn't out with injury) have NO business thinking about the NFL. Even Grimes I saw last year against FSU do his thing is still like a 4th round pick AT BEST. He just seems stiff in the hips but that's another discussion for another day.

Gimes
    Toney
    Pitts
    Krull (idk what's up with him in the receiving game this year)
    Marks
    Copeland
    White Chocolate
    Weston

I don't expect much out of the following returners:
    Wells
    Gamble
    Lang

I don't mind that returning group at WR and I do expect some true freshmen to get snaps too

20. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    FF is not that dangerous as a runner. He's certainly no Deshaun Watson, Justin Fields, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurd, etc. And he can't even throw/pick out receivers as good as them. In fact FF is not that much better than KT as a runner and KT is way way better as a QB. TBH EJ is no where near the aforementioned QB's as a runner or thrower either though. Of course those guys are pretty good. :)

• Winner Winner x 1