Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Candy Gram Sponsored by Waldo Police Department

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jun 8, 2018.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ve had a rough last month so let’s be honest, I am trying to catch up on things. Throw in that UF has offered a lot of guys and we are trying to do our best on who will fill out this class and where will it rank. But let me share a few things with you before I get into individual players.

Gator Softball got hosed by the Jack Childress of softball umpires. UF should have been in the next round and would have had to beat fsu once out of two. IMO UF was better than UCLA but I do give the nole girls some credit for beating UCLA twice to advance and then sweeping Washington. What would have happened if UF was the opponent rather than UCLA, we will never know.

Grant Holloway: I know many do not follow T&F but for those who do, what a treat he has been. It is my belief that he is the best athlete on campus and one of the best all time.

Baseball: I think they did it on purpose but the way the seeding’s were done, you have three head to head matchups of SEC teams. Auburn/UF, Arkansas/SC, Mississippi State/Vandy. The SEC is guaranteed to have 3 teams at the CWS. If the seeding were different there may could have been more. UF is better than Auburn but the Tigers/eagles/ plainsmen have the #1 pick in the draft. If they take game 1 with Mize then there is no room for a bad outing. UF and Singer did get the win against Auburn and Mize in the regular season.

I had a very interesting conversation with someone yesterday who coaches in the State of Florida. I can’t tell you who he is but I will share some of his views. First let me just say that this coach has an NC ring and has worked with several legends of the sport. Anyway here goes. He told me that recruiting is brutal on families. He said that when he was coaching D1 he was working over 100 hours a week.

He thinks Urban is the best coach out there. Said he left for legit health concerns but he knew as soon as Tressel was gone that Urbs would be at OSU. He also said, he didn’t get the fan hatred of Meyer as he got them 2 titles.

Loves Mullin and thinks he will do very well here. He didn’t know much about Taggert but has some fsu friends who think he will be better than Fisher. As for Fisher, he said he demanded too much and he irritated the wrong people and well you know how that ended.

On Mark Richt, he was a big fan and said that MR was just ready to get out at UGA. We then talked about offensive philosophy and his only D1 prospect this year which is of all things a punter.

Is UF done with 2018: Maybe not, I put it at 50/50 that UF adds Lucas Krull to the 18 class. The JucoTE originally signed with Arkansas as a baseball prospect is 6’7 255. UF is in his top 3 and the key is if he is willing to leave the mid-west. Krull would have 3 years to play 2.

UF Recruiting 2019: the Gators sit at 9 commits. 1 QB, 1 Athlete, 2 OL, 1 WR, 3 F7, 1 DB.

Jaelen Humphries: 13th ranked DT is a great pick up for UF. 300 # and a 4* out of Georgia. I have no reason to think he will not stick. So let’s start to get caught up on Crootin.

Some Thoughts: don’t get hung up on a kid announcing an offer. Lots of kids get offers that the staff knows are most likely going somewhere else or it is conditional. Conditional may mean on grades or it may mean on coming to camp and impressing. It could also be based on getting the go ahead to commit. In actuality, most programs have a top 50-60 guys they know they have a realistic shot at but may extend over 100 “offers”. UF has a realistic board of about 60 or so. They have 9 commits so you do the math. About 15 more out of that 60, which means 25% of the real board will sign with UF.

The Board

Athlete: Will sign 1 or 2.

Commited: Ja'Markis Weston , some feel he will not be in the class but I don’t know where that is coming from. I like his film and think he sticks.

Aubrey Scott: 5’10 170 RB/athlete UF in top 3 for the Louisiana prospect. I think UF can get him if they decide for sure they want him.

Defensive Backs: will sign 4-5

Commited: Trent Whittemore

Derek Stingley #1 ranked CB out of Louisiana. 247 at 100% for LSU. Loved his UF visit. Announced on twitter he will commit on June 20th and sign in December. He will also shut it down at that time. At least we will not have to wait.

Chris Steele: 5* CB, the California native is CB’ed at this time to stay out west at USC. Loves UF. I think UF when its said and done.

Kaiir Elam: You would think UF has the inside track. Watch Urban on this one. I’m told it is more or less UF/Buckeyes battle.

Tyrique Stevenson: According to some, UF has worked there way back to the top for the one time commit. Stevenson will be on campus for 7V7 Friday as will some other big names.

Warren Burrell: UF/UGA/Bama. Among others. I do not know how hard the staff has pursued him but we will get a better indication after this weekend. Burrell, a 3 * Corner out of Georgia visited UT last week and is the only OV I know of this weekend. Some say a UGA lean but this visit could change that.

Akeem Dent: Miami/LSU or Noles

Josh Sanguinetti: Keep an eye on this one.

Chester Kimbrough: 4* Dare I say UF is the favorite for the New Orleans DB. Listed at 100% to UF.

Candys Thoughts: I believe Whittemore, Elam and Kimbrough will be in the class. I also thing Stephenson will commit again. That would leave 1 spot for the above mentioned guys and maybe someone I have forgotten. Would you be happy with that DB class if you added Steel?

Front 7:

Comitted: Hopper, Abrahams and Humphries. UF needs to add 4 more to this group.

Darel Middleton: 6’7 290. Juco guy who committed to UT. I have heard he will visit despite the pledge to the Vols. Darel (one r and one L) came out of HS a 6’5 230 pound TE. He had a nice growth spurt and grew out of TE and into DL. Would be a great fit in the scheme and I expect that will be the selling point.

Nathan Pickering: MSU is the favorite but I’m told NP really likes UF. TIFWIW. How about this quote "Florida is a long way but its worth it"

Derek Hunter: I think he leans to UGA but this is the guy that for this year is going to be the guy who can’t make up his mind. I do however believe it will be one of just 3-4 schools. UF/UGA/Noles/Miami.

Derrick Mclendon: Noles may have the lead but, the DE out of Georgia is not a done deal by any means. I think this is one to watch.

Kayvon Thibodeaux: I don’t see this happening as I think he stays out west.

Lloyd Summerall: This will be an instate battle betwixt the Noles and UF.

Tyler Davis: Listed as a top prospect but I don’t know when he was last on campus. 247 predicts him 70% to the Buckeyes.

Jaquaze Sorrells: the former commit would be ideal in this scheme. That said, I will be shocked if he is in this class.

The staff has also offered the top two ranked DT’s in Ishmael Sopsher and Faatui Tuitele, Sopsher is CB’ed to LSU and Tuitele to the Gamecocks who are putting together quite a class.

Jaleel McCray: the former commit may come back into the fold but as of now he is a fsu commit.

Nakobe Dean: A visit is crucial if UF is to have a shot at the 5*. Most think it’s a 3 way between LSU/Ole Miss and Bama for his services. UF is mentioned due to Mullin having a prior relationship.

Diamante Howard: the south Florida prospect looks to be Vol bound but distance could figure in in the end. I am told that Mom wants him to get out of south Florida. I think he is on campus for 7 on 7 this weekend.

ON Campus this week. Besides those mentioned above, Two big OL prospects, Martin Veinberg 6’9 300 and Kareem Al Soufi, 6’4 345 both out of Europe will be in for the 1 day lineman camp. The Duo are making the rounds and someone will offer these guys at some point. I don’t know if they can ball but they are both huge. Marc Britt, a Miami OL commit, and Brian Mauer, an elite 11 QB. Mauer I believe is originally from Ocala. I don’t believe UF is pursuing him at all but that could change with a good camp.

My thoughts: The staff needs to pull another one out of the hat like Humphries. UF needs four and the best bets at this time are Hunter, Summerall and McClendon.

TIFWIW: my guy in Louisiana thinks Stingley is a Tiger. Add in Sopsher, and they are putting together a nice class.

LSU part 2: John Emery, the 4* RB who has made the rounds this summer including UF was thought to be all Tiger. Well look for him to commit to MSU on July 7th.

FSU: Called my friend in Tally and the feel I get is that maybe Willie never had to recruit against UF/Bama/UM/Auburn/UGA and it isn’t as easy as say UCLA and Washington/. I myself think he will recruit well but I don’t know if he can coach or not. Look for an up tempo style which may work well for the offense and not so much for the Seminole D. The natives are restless so to speak with the departure of several players including a starting OT. Quashon Fuller continues to look around and it’s a bit dicey.

Role reversal: Remember last year when Bama got off to a really slow start. Well the machine is running early this year. Perhaps it was from turnover in staff or who knows what but they got it going early this cycle.

Final thoughts: UF took a big step getting Humphries. What would really help would be to have a 5* or two come on board. The good news is UF sits well with some top guys. The bad news is I’m not sure very many of them commit anytime soon.

I will be out of town for a week. I will tr to check in but don't know how much news I will be able to get. Thanks to Notorious, Ghost, Matherly and others for sharing what they have.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    That's a lot of names thrown out there to look at, but as of now, I think the only ones that we are really in it for strongly or are priority choice are Steele, Pickering, Hunter, Summerall, Fuller and Mauer.

3. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    Thanks as always Candy. Great stuff.

Waldo PD - LOL

4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I saw QB Mauer as a Soph and was not impressed. Maybe he had a bad game but was off target on many throws. He can spin the ball well. That said West Port is not the best place to be playing football, an odd collection of players. He needs a better group of receivers to throw to. West Port has starting winning again with Mauer at QB. We used to have a Coach Mauer at Forest High in Ocala so my guess they are related. I'm surprised he has not been offered to play at Trinity Catholic High (pun intended). I would say he is a wait and see if he has a good senior year.
    Note to Candy, I'll be back into recruiting this July when the summer conditioning starts back. Sorry I don't have more. Plus love love love the Waldo PD mention.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If sponsored by Waldo PD sped trap funds, it means we are all paying for this sponsorship. First time ticket money has been put to good use.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Thought krull was 3 to play 3?

Thanks for the update!

7. rawgator22

rawgator22 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Asheville, NC
    Good writeup. Any thoughts on chances with Elijah Blades and how a commitment from him might factor in to the DB haul?

8. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    Thanks Candy!

9. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I clicked on this thread as fast as I could.

And the Waldo PD gave me a speeding ticket.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Creative Creative x 3
  10. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    I expect Blades to follow Donte Williams to Oregon. Blades followed him from Arizona as he told 247 he was a silent commit even while commuted to UF. Williams is now the DB coach at Oregon.

11. truckingator

truckingator Recruit

May 3, 2018
    Thanks for sharing the info.......

12. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Did you watch mauer throw at the Elite 11? The kid looked pretty good but I was/am under the impression he was a pro style kid. Someone will get a good one with him.

Thanks for the info.

13. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the shout out candy! Is your source...Jacquez green? ;)

My thoughts on your thoughts;
    Re; Weston. He's had many, many opportunities to visit campus since his commitment and hasnt which I find odd. If he's ALL Gator he needs to get his ass to Gainesville to recruit. Also, I can't remember the author of the article (Zack, goldkamp, luke....) but they mentioned they think the staff may have cooled on him for whatever reason..

I think I'm the president of Nate Pickering fan club. I agree it'll be tough to pull him away from MSU but he's said some pretty glowing things about UF and the coaches. He's known the staff for a few years and after the BBQ he said he's never seen that side of our coaches and he loved what he saw. He shows UF alot of love and I believe he'll be a gator.

No thanks on either European lineman. I read that article yesterday on 247...Im NOT thrilled with it.

No way Stingley goes anywhere but lsu. I believe emery Jr is lsu and it's somewhat surprising to hear watch out for MSU with him. Dudes too good to go to State. Sopsher will stay with lsu too.

Maybe there is something to Zipperer wanting to leave the state. The Juco kid from Arkansas seems like a solid fill in if we get Billingsley and lose the zipp.

There seems to be some smoke coming from Chris Steeles camp. His mother is sold on the staff and university. Done deal!! ;)

You're absolutely right on Stevenson. The staff has been making huge strides with this kid. I've mentioned in my notes that he'll likely be a gator.

Oh yeah, it just came back to me. Things are starting to look pretty good with Sanguinetti.

Honestly, I expected kimbrough to have commited by now. Out DB haul could be amazing depending on where the chips fall.

Has anyone followed the STA kids situation? I really haven't. I've been away but it looks to me like Jayden Davis and co. May have to look at Miami.

I guess I really don't follow your buddy's comments on slick willie. Even if he's never had to recruit against the sec elite but he's doing pretty damn well. One would think hed recruit better vs Pac 10 teams.

Anyway, thanks for the effort dude. Good stuff. Especially the shout out. I'm in rarefied air!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Taggart tearing it up

15. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Not sad to say there is no Waldo P.D. anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    No I did not and yes on the Pro Style. I've followed his game stats when I see them. Don't get me wrong the kid can put up big numbers against the weaker defenses. But he can also be very ineffective some games against better teams. Some games he can throw close to 400 yards but then have a less than 50/50 night for less than 200 with 2 INT. Sounds like Coach Mac could use him. I'd say let him prove himself every week this year and decide in October.

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Grades

18. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Good info. I take your word brother. I didn't know you were an Ocala kid! To me, this kid has been way under the radar. Initially he seemed like a surprise invite to the camp. Then he performed like a top 5 kid. The only thing this proves is that I don't know shit. Lol

2 or 3 kids at the camp really saw their value skyrocket. But word on the street us the alot of Wrs were awful. There were an inordinate amount of dropped passes. Fwiw

19. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    My thoughts on your thoughts.
    Sources: I have been ask not to mention their names. One is a relative with UF connections. I have a guy in the Tally area who is fairly accurate with info. A friend of mine who lives in S.Fla and a friend In Louisiana who is a Tiger big Time and gets nuggets from time to time. They are my network of sorts you could say. I also watch Twitter and pick up patterns at times.

Weston: You could be right, I just have not heard anything so he is a commit until he ain't for now.

Pickering: I actually heard something positive today. If I had to pick today-key word Today, I'd pick UF.

Euros-I don't think either of them end up in Gville. Although I've not heard anything one way or the other of interest by players or school.

LSU: I agree on Stingley, I will trust my guy on Emery Jr. and I know a bit more than I can say right now. I think Sopsher will be a Tiger.

TE: I still think UF is good with Zipp, I just don't think they are taking him for granted. This could be like Watkins last year, where in the end he decides to stay home. I don't think the JUCO will have a bearing on Zip or Billingsley. JMO.

Steel, I think will be a Gator. Stephenson also and we will see how many they take at DB in regards to Sanguinetti and/or one of the others. My opinion is they might would go 6 with the expectation that TW or another DB could grow into a Linebacker.

Taggert: My guy was echoing things he heard. I probably didn't phrase it well. FSU fans expected WT to just come in and scoop up whoever he desired. He thinks and I think they are recruiting well. But there are so many noles that just have unrealistic expectations. Gray would probably tell you something similar as he has to listen to that stuff all the time.

I have enjoyed reading Notorious Notes in my crazy last couple of months.

20. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words brother. I wasn't asking you to reveal your source. Lol. I just took a stab at it for fun.

We seem to agree on alot of the topics raised in your post. If you would help me convince @theghost that Zipperer is still likely a gator. ;)

The way you phrased what your fsu buddy said makes much more sense to me now. Thanks.

I just can't shake the feeling that Pickering wants to be a gator. He doesn't want to wither away in starkeville. He's on the verge of being a 5 star. He could be one of 3 5*s We get. (Sanders, Steele) possibly others i cant think of right now. Pittman should be a 5 star. To me he's comparable to Garrett Wilson, Whittington and Wease. If he were only 2 inches taller. Lol

I'm glad you enjoy the notes. I try to add what I can when I can. I haven't spoken to you since before you started your new job. How is treating you? Have fun on your trip dude. Maybe you leaving will bring us some commits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1