Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Candy Gram Post NSD Part 2

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Feb 10, 2019.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Part 2

Let me start by saying that I believe in a few years we will look back at this defensive class and be very happy. The only shortcoming may be only signing one true DT. I don’t see Bogle or Summerall growing into a DT. Every other area is fine including the PWO’s that also a big part of this class. Let’s jump in.

Jaelin Humphries: UF stayed with Jaelin through his injury and he was solid with UF as well. I don’t think he has touched his potential. I do however think he is a candidate to RS.

Summeral: There was the allure of South Beach for LS but in the end Lloyd felt more at home with UF. Mama Mullin played a huge role here. While most thought LS and Zipperer would choose the same school, it did appear for a short time that they would go their separate ways. I also think the idea of the Lakeland pipeline played a part as some of their teammates should join them in Gainesville next year. They were never trolling UM. UF just won out in the end.

Khris Bogel: I never had the idea KB would choose UF until the Polynesian Bowl. Diwun Black is a charismatic person and natural leader. He was in KB’s ear all week. Then came the Official visit and I started hearing good things. A late push from UM came up short as Mama wanted him out of South Florida. One side note that made me question how this would come out, Khris had some anti UF people, including a coach in his ear still pushing him away from UF. I finally got solid confirmation on his choice from a source that was then confirmed by one of your fellow posters who also gave me the Tarquin tip.

Diabate: Committed and never wavered. He will be a star.

Hopper: UF fought off a late push from SC and TBH, had me thinking he would flip.

Pierre: The forgotten UM flip. Jesiah Pierre was at one time a Cane. After JP de committed from the Canes, UF was going to be the choice for Jesiah. Once he got the offer, he never looked anywhere else.

Diwun: Once Black told the coaches he was in, they asked him to not take visits and work on his grades instead. You know the rest of the story.

Man of Steel Chris wanted to choose UF all along but had problems with distance and chose SC=west. The staff and players stayed on Chris and after his de commit from USC, I always felt good about UF’s chances. I was told he had submitted his paperwork but to stay quiet. I did but the consensus from many places was CS would announce for UF at the All Star game. Chris will get reps with 1st team early from what I hear.

Chester Kimbrough: The 4th CB. Do not sit on this guy. He committed to UF, withstood a late push from LSU and signed early. He has great instincts and may be under rated. Anyway, he is now a part of what may become an historic Corner class for UF.

Jaydon Hill: UF made a big impression on Hill at FNL. Muschamp really wanted Hill in their class. Good win by the staff.

Elam: At one time I really felt UF was way behind UGA. Then Tucker got the Colorado job and it was game on again. The hiring of Coach Gray was the final piece in securing Elam’s signature.

Others

Nathaniel Pickering: Some posters and I felt early on that NP would sign with UF. I knew after a short time that I doubted he would leave home. His visit to UF and actions after that visit convinced me I was right. Ultimatly the staff backed off and begin recruiting other targets which convinced me even moore,

Moore: Moore said all the right things after the UF visit, even stating that UF led. I never felt good about it after his next visit. There were rumors that the staff backed off a bit and perhaps didn’t want to deal with the dad. Just saying.

Thibodeaux: UF and KT was never going to happen. Never.

Derrick Hunter: This was one that I had pegged for UF until right before ENSD. Hunter would have signed with UF save for his father being all in on the Aggies. The aggies did a good job as did UF, they just won this one.

Brandon Dorlus: Was UF/Oregon decision even on the morning of ENSD. I even had him in my class that morning, but he woke up and picked the Ducks after getting moms blessing. She had wanted him to choose UF.

Fuller: UF could never win Mama Fuller over and it is just that simple. Everything else was window dressing. I do think that the twitter spat with CGJ and Fuler was not helpful but it would not have mattered.

Siaka Ika: This one, UF won the battle for the parents. Bottom line is Ika had a much longer relationship with LSU. Even then, a final decision was not made until signing day morning. Of all the DT prospects, this was the one closest to happening.

Nick Cross: what I heard is the staff just wasn’t that high on him. Nothing more than that.

Akeem Dent: Dent was just a guy who always had some interest but never quite enough to get serious about it.

Byron Young: I was told early on by someone that Byron was very interested in UF. Sometimes you just get bad info. I believe what I was told was belived to be true by the source. Recruit alert, sometimes sources are misled and lied to. I don't think Young was ever going anywhere else but Bama. My interest was rekindled after he didn't sign early, I though he might sign elsewhere with the very large DL class coming in but he in fact stayed true to Bama.

Mystery Recruit: Jaquez Sorrels. Sorrells had committed to the other staff then bailed. Some felt after a good showing at the allstar game that UF might show more interest. This is what I’ve gathered. After the game and a couple of guys choosing elsewhere the staff reconsidered Sorrells. I have it from a pretty good source that although JS had taken visits, he really wanted a UF offer. In the end it’s as simple as this. UF looked at his transcripts, looked at his film, looked at how he would fit in the scheme and decided if they couldn’t get Moore or a flip they would save the ship for next year. I never ruled it out completely until the night before NSD. Right now that is looking like a good decision as UF may sign several guys that are better fits in the 2020 class.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 14
    • Informative Informative x 13
    • Like Like x 8
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Thank! Always like to be the first reply!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Auburn does have a history of making deals with dads.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. sd_gator

sd_gator All American

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Really wish we had gotten Ika for that second DT spot.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Legend

Sep 4, 2017
    Not after what McDowell/Eguakun will do to him in 2-3 years....

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. roflcopter

roflcopter GC Legend

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia
    Candy,

Great insight. I also asked my connection about the Dent saga. Here’s the best I could piece together. Dent committed early to the SOW. I’m not entirely sure if it was the way their season was going or the coaching but just prior to Thanksgiving he was wavering to the point where it was discussed inside their offices that it was believed that another team was in the lead. My source was very specific about who said what but it’s not important and I’m reluctant to post that to protect her. Anyway, I finally caught up again to ask what happened or changed. I was told that they contacted Dent and pressed him for a definitive commitment. It nearly took him a week of contact and pressure to get that. I truly believe he wanted to go somewhere else but caved to their coaches and possibly some other exterior pressures that we might never know. As strange as it is to say, even after signing I’m not convinced he’s ALL Nole and might end up transferring at some point. Time will tell.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He had a strong relationship with Seider. I was thinking he may go PS but he didn't. Problem with Seider is you don't know where he may be next year or the next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bvgator789

bvgator789 Senior

Nov 29, 2018

Good news for Dexter. Gonna be a beast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Forgot about Zane Herring....that's a guy I hope UF stays on even if he is behind some others in the pecking order

• Like Like x 1