Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Candy Gram 5/29/18 sponsered by Farmers only Dot. Com

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, May 29, 2018.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Whatvhas hurt UF in recruiting more than anything is the numerous consecutive poor seasons and bad hires/coaching carousel.

That right there is what has hurt us more than anything on the recruitimg trail, and only winning, good coaching, and coaching staff stability will change that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Silly example...uf did not push for reed

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I know places like Alabama and Ohio state recruit in less than ideal locales but unless you're willing to really break some rules you're not typically going to outsell c
    Yeah it's not like FSU, Georgia or Miami went through the nightmare we have gone through the past decade. Miami was all but dead but Richt going to Miami and Kirby to Georgia was a double whammy for UF.

FTR I am always resigned to finishing behind those programs in recruiting. I've been blasted for my opinion on why so I wont rehash it but I also dont think it means everything as long as we are in a top tier or close recruiting. Spurrier hardly ever had more talent but managed fine.

4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Actually at one point they did and it was for a good amount of time. Our sources are different and disagree with this. One other thing, if what your saying was true i would say big mistake. Again, I feel different that they did push and want him but honestly with Mac nothing surprises me a bit.

5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    You get can get outworked in recruiting, but think Richt had a head start in recruiting Florida/Georgia area given his FSU and UGA ties as a coach, and actually playing at UM football program. The RB coach he brought from UGA is a very good recruiter. Our coaches were not signing many Florida kids while at MSU. UM had a good season and signed a good class in year 2. They have momentum in year 3 recruiting due to FSU and UF turnover. Once we have our stand alone football complex, we should be fine, but UM can sell private school, right on south beach, hot girls, playing at NFL stadium that Ross just spent hundreds of millions updating, just won their division, and tradition from many years back. Up to our coaches to show the other side.

6. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

I’m not really sure how much a sell the mostly empty nfl stadium is to be frank.

7. Kirby

Kirby GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    Just win and they will come...

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    That only applies to Dolphin games down in south Florida.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One one point we agree, I liked him and wish he had been a higher priority.
    On how hard UF pursued him.....he was on the board, like a ton of guys. But he was never a priority and when push came to shove he wasn't who they wanted. I would have taken him and the OL from Dr Philips that also went to Miami, but that staff felt differently

10. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    So in 2021 0r 2022 we'll be fine (once our stand-alone is done)? I'm tired of that excuse.

Also, according to what you say; Richt brought in assistants that were good recruiters? That sounds like a GREAT idea (by Richt). This is Gatorcountry, so anything that is perceived as "negative" gets you harassed around here. But I've said this before, and I'll repeat it - because it's true - Mullen brought too many of his MSU 'buddies' with him to build this staff.

I still think Mullen can salvage a top 15 class (hopefully top 12). But we've got 1/3rd of this class committed and it's not very impressive. Hopefully we see some 4-star commits - soon - and the momentum swings our way.

But I have to agree w/ most: 'just win' (and make the offense look functional) and we'll see more kids looking our way.

Mullen is doing all the right things....and the results are certainly not from a lack of trying. Muschamp, McElwain, and Foley really damaged this football program and it's going to take a year or two to get back on the right track. Kudos to Mullen for busting his ass. No one can say he's not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    This is the first and only place I've read that we've lost Keion. I see that UM is picking up some CB votes but I don't see anything legit outside of your post. I like Billingsley but that's not an even swap. Where are you getting this?

12. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Got it from Zipperer himself: he tweeted last week that he was going out of state for college.

Now....this could be attention grabbing. Who knows? He recently visited Clemson and got a couple of CB's there - but I'm assuming that's the 'flavor of the day' thing (whoever he most recently visited). He's being pursued by Alabama, Clemson, UNC, Auburn and a few others. He's still CB'd to us (70%) and Miami (30%) though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't have very high hopes for Florida players this year. Our rivals are killing us. Working California comes down to relationships with high school coaches and knowledge of the area. Last time Mullen, Gonzalez and Hevesy were all on the staff, the Gators did a good job of cherry-picking California and especially Texas. We've offered 20 players from California this cycle and one is practically in the bag. Distance isn't the issue it used to be. Even the players with little interest in UF are looking hard at other SEC schools. The coaches appear to be concentrating on a handful of big time high schools almost entirely in three contiguous counties. Our coaches should be camped out at Mater Dei, Oaks Christian, Calabasas, Orange Lutheran, St. John Bosco and Westlake Village every year. We need to keep working the Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas corridor too. UF can't take back Florida until it proves itself on the football field.

14. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    When all is said and done, recruiting is heavily over rated. Landing 5* kids does nothing if they can't mesh with each other and the other kids on the field with them.

I'm going to post a Thread about Coaching when I have time to work it out.

Decent Coaching and a weak schedule (e.g. Miami's last year), leads to victories. Poor coaching and the best players in the universe, in most conferences, will get you by, but not in the SEC.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  15. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Dude, with all due respect....recruiting is NOT 'over rated'. I'm not going through the whole exercise again, but this has been discussed over and over. Go ask Urban or Saban how 'over rated' recruiting is and get back to us.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is, but it is a process that will be ever evolving.

• Like Like x 1
  17. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Very good post Ghost.

• Like Like x 1