Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Candy / Chief Borders

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Gatorhead, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Candy,

I see where the "Chief" has been accepted at Stanford. Does this change his status with UF?

Thx in advance.

2. Joaqui

Joaqui Senior

Jul 17, 2016
    Great for him. Im not sure thats the program i would want to do undergrad in if i was going into medical school but great option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    When it comes to football, ima drive him to Stanford myself if it means a spot for Sorey.

On an academic level, congrats to him. He's put in work and hopefully takes advantage of it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. lizardo50

lizardo50 Freshman

Nov 28, 2016
    just like I told my son about Dalvin Cook the moment he said he would sign with Florida I knew or I felt like he was trolling them, Borders may not have been, but I just felt he was not coming, hope he does don't see it happening

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea i don't think anyone will be mad if he flips to Stanford because he's been pro-Gator so hard yet...I mean...it's Stanford got dammit lol.

I do feel that Cook did want to come to UF but...we just freaking sucked his senior year in high school and Brewster flipped em

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Cannot fault a kid for going to a school like that. Phenomenal education, great city, weather.... UF is fantastic too but either way, kid is a winner.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I’ve said it a million times ...anyone that’s smart enough to get into Stanford isn’t dumb enough not to go. Spare me the @‘s please. This is in no way a slight to uf but it’s Stanford

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He's gone. Good luck to him. Only time I remember UF winning a recruiting battle with Stanford was with Max Starks. Wasn't really a battle since Max wasn't accepted. And he was a very good student.

I like Sorey better but I don't know if it even helps if Chief goes to Stanford.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    I grew up in Gainesville (moved here in 1972), BUT Stanford is a notch above UF academically, and from a prestige/networking perspective out here in the real world (I’m in tech / startup space). UF is closing the gap on places like Stanford, but if I’m Borders I take the Stanford option. NFL will find him if he has the skill, and if not, the Stanford academics set him up long term.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    It doesn't help since i believe they're being recruited for diff positions

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I want the Chief !!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sd_gator

sd_gator GC Legend

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    more so just talking about opening up a spot in this class since we are in a numbers crunch. I would love to keep Chief I think he could be a real force in the Middle of that LB corps. But I completely understand if he decides to go to Stanford.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    We need the chief playing lb for us

Stanford’s first mascot was an Indian so likely it isn’t the first chief to go there

14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As I understand it we are struggling at ILB. What makes one guy a LB and few, if any, of our many 230+ LBs not fit for the position?

2020 Football Roster - Florida Gators

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    That is a really good question, and I would take a stab at it by asking a kind of reverse question with a specific player. Was senior David Reese necessary on every down last year?

I think everybody sees the challenge we had at the beginning of this year without him, and he was a fierce and sound tackler. However, we got ripped so much on third downs with him in the game. It seems that the day of large, downhill running LB are in the past. We are definitely recruiting lighter LB with more lateral movement and speed and who could cover receivers. Are all of them going to be able to handle ILB? I don't think so.

Burney has struggled trying to pick it up. I think that there is some technique that is difficult for someone who has been playing in space to pick up at ILB, and some guys have a difficult time shedding blocks and tackling in the box. The ideal though would be that every one of those 230+LBs could play all positions of LB and Star and move around the line to confuse the offense and avoid having to substitute too much depending on the offense's personnel.

16. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If they guy is planning for a career in the business world, Stanford is the way to go. If his dream is the NFL, he should head to UF. He can always go get a Stanford degree later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Would not want to live there.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    what I'm told is he is still pro UF.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Why wouldn't you want to go Stanford undergrad if you were going md/do?

20. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Have you ever been on the Stanford campus? Stunning place and incredible education.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1