Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can ya'll do my 8 year old daughter a favor?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Jun 3, 2020.

1. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    She's very good

• Like Like x 3
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Such as beautiful daughter with a beautiful voice.

• Like Like x 3
  3. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Please tell her it’s the first YouTube video I have ever “liked”. Good luck to you and Go Gators.

• Like Like x 3
  4. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    This is a nice song and well presented.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    That was really good.

She’s a cutie.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Me teaching singing...she has a nice voice..Do not make it sound like pop this early! It will ruin her. She is great and sings on key beautifully at her age. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. kes

kes All American

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    That is what life is about... so sweet and thanks for sharing. Reminds me of my granddaughter. Keep the faith.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Double Thumbs UP for your young lady!
    I see a star in the making!!

Keep at it!!

• Like Like x 3
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Done bro!

• Like Like x 3
  10. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Thumbs up!

• Like Like x 3
  11. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Hey brother, I do play but I don’t remember posting a video of me playing but I swear my memory is going already. I’m so blown away by you guys. I should be but what a great place to feel the warmth and love from my brothers and sisters. If you want me to help you in any way do you can do what you want, DM me and let me know and I’ll give you my cell. Happy to help.

You’re a true gentleman and thanks. If I didn’t grab someone’s quote it’s only because I’m rushing out but I really and truly mean that this has made me feel so good and she is in 7th heaven and she came from St. Joseph’s to her house in Gator garb and I let her read these messages and she’s a Gator for life. She was tearing up with joy reading all of your guys’ sweet posts. Again, was expecting some but not all this. Can’t thank you guys enough.
    I will! That is something I take a lot of pleasure in. Thanks guys!
    Amazing! For real? I know I’m a broken record but I just feel real love from you all and just so really appreciate it. Was doing it for her but I can’t lie that I have felt my own cathartic moments from reading this thread. Almost didn’t do it. What a mistake that would have been. I will always cherish this.

:) I just don’t know what to keeps saying and believe me, she’s counting them and she loves it. She is so happy and she hasn’t had a lot of happiness lately so when I say “thank you”, I mean it more than someone holding them door open for you. Thank you. :)
    Thanks Vax. So kind, all of you.
    Ha!! I will and I thank you for it as will she. Amazing!
    Growl! Thanks bud. You’re a good man and I appreciate it. Much much love, to all and God bless.
    Thank you. I wish I had more to say.
    That’s super sweet. Yeah, she doesn’t like pop crap. She likes good music. She loves, and with her friend Zoelle and probably from hearing me playing stuff good music from old time county and folk music, to gospel and hymns. Many people in this country don’t realize that the best musicians and songs are usually played in churches all over the country.
    I’m trying and you guys are definitely helping!
    I don’t think I could stop her but I didn’t realize people would actually dig it. You just figure you’re looking through a daddy’s eyes but you guys are fantadtic and have made a man trying to put himself back together quite happy and I can’t thank you enough.
    Thanks Till! I was hoping you would take a listen. Sorry for being so repetitive but I was so genuinely moved and touched by each of you that I didn’t want to leave anyone out and I know I accidently did @GatorPrincess8 but I wanted to thank you all and you guys dont know how much it means to what I thought would just be her but it had made me feel soooo good.

God bless all of you and yours and thank you. I can’t express how happy it made me to read this thread. I might just print it and read it when I’m down. :p

Thanks from the bottom of my soul.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gator1gear

gator1gear Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiram, Ga
    Done!

• Like Like x 4
  13. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Sophomore

Nov 24, 2011
    Done. Sang that song to both my kids when they were babies / toddlers (now they are 14 and 10) so hearing that brought back some memories and now I have tears forming...thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Awesome! I listened to every second. Tell your girl to keep singing away! :star:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oops, forgot to mention this in my first post.

The whole presentation looked great. 95Gator, did you do all of this? Because it's awesome with a very professional design. It's a great presentation as well as a lovely, talented daughter you have in that video.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    First, thanks Rick. Appreciate ya!

Once again. Truly blown away by you all. I really am just struck with joy from reading and re-reading every post in this thread. Every single one of you are amazing caring people and I don’t know what to say anymore.

Yeah Rick, I put it together. I made the intro many many years ago for my brothers wedding slide show which I made cinematic as a joke and just repurposed it for this.

The audio was ran through a “digital audio workstation” or DAW and running through a computer with the music already composed she just had to sing in to the good ole Shure SM58 which is pretty much the standard cardioid mic in the music industry .... see that box next to her (to her left), that’s an I/O ADC (in/out, analogue digital converter, ADC) which takes analogue audio and brings it into the DAW and keeps its analogue quality (for a hearty price) that I/O box was like $1700 if I remember correctly and you can get them for as cheap as $100 or less or even just use your mixer but this thing is called an Apollo X is the bedroom and traveling producers probably most popular box. It also has DSP (so it runs them and doesn’t tax your host comp) power to run what are called plugins. The only plug in running here was an LA-2A legacy preamp which emulates the famous 50s and 60s UA Unison Preamp of the same name which makes the vocals sound analogue while being digital, limiter (keeps the levels from clipping basically but more), compression (hard to explain but that’s what the preamp and EQ do to just make it sound beefy) and just sounding right and tight as long as it’s set properly depending on how your artist is singing. She sang real soft and surprisingly on key. I thought I would post it (finish it post for post production) once in the DAW which I show with my iPhone camera that I shot it with at the beginning.

The reason I showed me hitting the record button was because I had no slate and while I could have figured it out, I had to marry the video and the audio to make the video sound “professional” and we did it in a quick hurry. I’m just a hobbyist producer but a pro VFX guy so I have knowledge on both sides of that coin.

Short story long, (so you know it’s me) ;) after it was recorded and shot at the same time, I then brought it into Avid Media Composer (for a quick edit) no cuts or anything other than the intro which as I said I made many years ago and just changed the text for her and spiced that.

There is a little pre-amble with the iPhone audio but the second I hit the record button with the trackpad (that’s my slate), I start playing in the editor the (at that point) “bounced” multi track of her voice and music which was mixed by me inside the DAW (Ableton Live) and had a nice sound to it because of the good I/O Apollo and preamp emulation along with a drop of “mixing” at the end where I just really dropped a multi band EQ on her and did nothing because I was so surprised how good she sounded raw with no real mastering/sweetening. I had planned, tbh, to think I would need to add some reverb or add a room chamber emulation or something but I just loved her voice so I left it alone and just brought it into Avid, cut it together by starting the audio on the exact frame where she I click the button (again, that was just my personal slate) and there ya have it.

I have a habit of droning on and maybe did here as this is an easy process that I spent a lot of space explaining away. It’s a good question though as I obviously didn’t just record it with my iPhone even though the video is all iPhone. The audio once it kicks in, is treated directly with a great mic, good ins and outs and a good DAW (although that’s a hot topic). It’s not hard. It can be quite hard but I didn’t do anything to her voice unless you count the preamp but thats recording. The reason I didn’t add any of the effects I was planning (was gonna do a chorus too in addition to some reverb) but I thought her soul was coming out of her mouth and that angelic sound made me happy so I left it and while she might not be Dolly belting it out, she had the perfect amount of subdued emotion and staying pretty on key for a just turned 8yo girl, I just left it, making it easy. The video of her face seemed to match that melancholy but sweet and angelic voice. That’s why this is one of my favorite songs. It can be sung with any type of emotion you want and it can come out good.

She’s got 100s if views and nearly 100 likes now and so I would imagine that’s because of you guys and I can’t thank you enough.

ITS MADE HER MONTH. She feels plenty of thankfulness and pride which are definitely two emotions that she didn’t have before it so thank you guys from again, the deepest part of my heart.

Amazing. Sorry you asked Rick? Lol.

Go Gators!

Adam

P.S. - I hate to add to that but she also is wearing headphones because that’s how you track vocals which is the fancy way to say “record vocals”. I, while recording, can only hear her voice which gives me the acapella to work with and no bleeding of the music because obviously if the audio was on it would record it giving a horrible sound which is why when people record VOX they use phones usually inside a plexiglass VOX booth but we didn’t need to do all that but if anyone has tracked vocals before while singing, it’s a unique experience and not something I was sure she could do pretty late at night (first time doing that recoding) but that was take 2 and that’s all we did.

She was late on a couple lines and stuff and wasn’t perfect but it’s imperfection was nice to me. I wasn’t going for gold. When I took it out to my stereo and 85” TV, she was in tears she was so happy and then I posted it for the family and then she was “why doesn’t anyone like it?”, came on here and i just looked and over 60 likes and like 300 views so she is over the moon. Mission accomplished! And thanks to you guys. Now she wants to make more. Lol. I think I’ve created a monster. Trying to teach her pride (and have it checked before it becomes hubris) and don’t love that she wants that attention but performance is in her blood line on both sides so I’m not surprised.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sorry.... Reese's... uh... Lol... I mean I love hearing about subjects that you're passionate about. You and all my Gator friends here matter to me. That's how we get to know each other. :D:)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. EvilJack

EvilJack Sophomore

Nov 27, 2009
    Atlanta (O4W)
    Done. She's beautiful! Nice job dad!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I really, really, really like this thread and posts! Making my week!

• Like Like x 3
  20. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Cute as a button and does a great job singing. Enjoyed watching it. Fantastic song to lift the spirits after the last few weeks.

• Like Like x 2