Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can White Win Us A NC?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, Jan 9, 2021.

Can he win one?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    CBB just seems to have devolved into a completely unpredictable and chaotic mess with scandals, transfers, jumping to the league... and this season is a bit more effed than anyone deserves.

I think this team could be really good with about 30 more games under the belt, and Key.

2. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Premium Member

Mar 15, 2012
    He won’t be fired this season unless he indicates that he’s ready to move on as well. Keyontae incident will him to next year.

3. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope. Not even close.

Sad to see what has happened to the program that BillyD built. White was not the man for the job and it's time to cut the chord. Worst UK team in decades and they come in and clobber us like a we field a JV team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Yeah, agree on both questions. Some of his substitutions make no sense at all. Plus, where has our offense gone in the last two games? We were sharing the ball and moving on offense in our first two SEC games but now have reverted back to the same long periods of no scoring that seems to be a staple of White’s offense. I’m done with White. Thought this season would be different because he said we would up the tempo. Now he will use the KJ situation for the team playing poorly and get a pass for another lackluster season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Lol no

we keep making excuses to give him more time but it’s crystal clear at this point

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorKP

GatorKP GC Legend

Jul 30, 2011
    By the way, not only can Mike not win us a national title, he can't win us an SEC title or even a state title. But I do think we're the best team in Gainesville. So there's that. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Maybe. I wouldn’t bet on it. There’s some good high school teams in town.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Bang on White all you want.... some of it is certainly deserved.
    But the above is unfair and unfounded. White hasn’t “used” the KJ situation at all. That was an absolutely gut wrenching time for White... he has since called those days the worst of his life. So to suggest he might “use” the situation is in poor taste, imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorKP

GatorKP GC Legend

Jul 30, 2011
    —-
    Well done lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I don't even think we can say that much. He's 60-41 the previous 3 seasons (most likely 2 more losses had the postseason been played last season).

11. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Keeping White is basically saying "We give up, we don't want to win anything"

Why should fans pay attention?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I have to admit, after how good the offense was flowing vs LSU most of the game, it did seem as though things started to slow down the last 5 minutes of that game which made the ending much more stressful than it needed to be. Seems as though that effect carried over into the next 2 games. It almost reminds me of that PK80 tournament team when an offensive juggernaut that could drop 90+ easily suddenly started struggling to score 60 points the rest of the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Seeing that the vote is 40-1 that FL would not win a NC under coach MW, maybe the question is "can the Gators be a regular sweet sixteen team."

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I think a more reasonable question is can he win us an SEC title? Can he get us to the tourney consistently? That's not sexy, but if those are a yes it will keep him at UF for a long time. Not sure why our fans are thinking NC. Pretty unrealistic, even if Billy did it. Name another football school that has pulled that off in the last 30 years. Having said that, I'm not even sure the answer to my first 2 questions is a yes. Sadly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  15. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Fans are really upset at such a poor showing against a team with a record of 3-6. White has a dismal record against our biggest rivals, UK and Florida State. There was some hope that the Alabama game was just a bad game but it was what we can expect out of a White coached team. The team’s play against Kentucky was just as bad if not worse than against Alabama. You can see good coaches make adjustments at halftime when things aren’t going well. With White, it’s just a repeat of the first half failings. It’s time for White to feel the heat on his seat. I’ve seen enough of his coaching to realize he isn’t what Florida needs if they want to be a top 25 type team on an annual basis. Look at last season, started out number six and dropped out quicker than a New York minute.

16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I just took the OP to mean COMPETING for titles. The goal should be generally top 25 teams, sweet 16, and every once in awhile maybe get that right group together and make a run at the whole thing. Winning it is something else, but every once in awhile you have to at least show it’s a possibility.

I think a lot of people thought we might have one of those teams last year. On paper we looked great, but it just didn’t work and we were once again a bubble team. Obviously this is a very weird year, hard to judge with losing by far our best player.

We had been playing at a nice fast pace, but these last two games were just ineffective on offense. It brought back bad memories from the last several years of stagnant offense. For whatever reason, half court offense is just not Mike Whites forte. So it seems like we need to win with Helier shelter ball, but a team like UK probably has better size and athletes overall, so it gets tough.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  17. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    LA Metro area
    Why does he get a free pass because of Keyontae? It’s not like we’ve been lights out every other season under White. His teams constantly underachieve. Aside from one good run, Florida basketball has been very pedestrian under his watch.

18. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    White has a record of 3-14 against FSU and UK. That isn’t getting it done in my opinion. Today our Gators made a 3-6 UK team look better than they have looked all season, Gators losing by 25 at one point before settling for an 18 point loss.

19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    there are numbers that do favor Mike White...

Since his arrival....

Florida ranks #15 in country in NCAA tourney wins.

Florida ranks 2nd (UK) in SEC wins

Florida ranks 3rd (uk, AU) in overall wins among SEC teams.

Florida is one of 10 teams in the country to have advanced in 3 straight NCAA Tourneys

Florida has played the most difficult OOC schedule (Kenpom) among sec teams 4 out of 5 years.

Florida has played among the most difficult schedules in the country during White’s 5 seasons.

*Combine these metrics with ....

Florida recruiting kids that have never had a single off-court issue, and White running a clean program in a filthy college hoops landscape... it becomes harder to “fire Mike White”. Not to mention- he has had some god-awful injury luck.

All this said .... I do understand the frustration. I drove 5 hours yesterday to watch today’s game. And I’ll drive home tomorrow pissed off.

I think White has done well at Florida, especially considering the early recruiting struggles and injury issues. But he DOES need to turn a corner.

There will be no change made this season- and for many good reasons. But the “noise” will get louder and seat warmer if he doesn’t push thru with this team or the next.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    ok.
    But none of this really addresses my objection to your post.