Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can we talk depth chart?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorRade, Sep 11, 2018.

1. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It occurs to me that we have another year with a confusing cadre of players to fill our five positions - even more so than last year, as we are effectively gaining three players. I was hoping some could give some input on what we are expecting to see.

Predicting the starting lineup doesn't seem too bad considering that we are returning four more-or-less starters in Allen, Hudson, Stone, and Hayes, only leaving us with the point to fill. If we can pencil in Nembhard there, then we have it solved. But after that, things don't seem so clear.

1. Nembhard starting, but who is the #2? I was thinking Okauru, but last year, Allen filled in quite a bit. And Okauru can also play the two.
    2. Allen starting, but then Okauru? Locke? What about Ballard, who can also play the three?
    3. Hudson starting, and then Ballard? K Johnson? But then K Johnson can also play the four.
    4. Stone and then C. Johnson? Then K Johnson? And what are the other four players, all centers? Or do Bassett and Stokes, who are listed as forwards, play here?
    5. Hayes, Gak, Stokes, Bassett?

So in the end, I have some thing like this:

1. Nembard / Okauru / Allen
    2. Allen / Okauru / Locke / Ballard
    3. Hudson / Ballard / K Johnson
    4. Stone / C Johnson / K Johnson / Stokes
    5. Hayes / Gak / Stokes / Bassett

Why does it seem like I just listed 20 freaking players?? Is this good, as in we have a lot of depth? Or is more like when you have two quarterbacks, you have none? How can we possibly fit all these people on the court? Is experience more important than talent? Why do so many players seem able to play multiple positions? If Allen plays the 1, and pushes Okauru to the 2, then Ballard could move to the three, and K Johnson could slide to the...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Quality depth is always a good problem to have.
    I see Chase Johnson getting minutes at both the small forward and power forward positions.
    Ballard is a bit of a wild card... if he gets a big sophomore jump, he might even start. He can certainly score.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    All I know is that after looking at that roster that I am very excited for the upcoming season!

Should be a good one!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    At least you stopped - didn’t go as far as naming Gak at point guard! Now, that would be the ultimate statement of cross training and the Gak Attack!

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I think you nailed it.

Maybe we go platoon?!?!??

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    A 2nd unit of Okauru, Locke, Johnson/Ballard, Johnson, Stokes/Bassett/Gak would be competitive. We have plenty of healthy bodies at the 5 to divide the minutes against elite bigs like Happ or Williams.

I don't see any starter getting more than 30 minutes a game for the above reason. On a side note, hopefully the student section doesn't chant "We want Mak! We want Andrew!" with 7 minutes remaining in these early season home games when we need to give that time to the backups who actually need the minutes. Probably wishful thinking, but I don't like the new chant at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's mine again after we get half way into the season. Hope it helps.
    PG - Nembhard - Okauru
    SG - Allen - Locke
    SF - Hudson - Ballard/K Johnson
    PF - Stone - C Johnson/Stokes
    C - Hayes - Bassett/Gak
    I believe very strongly these will be the starters come January on other than injury. My pick for best 6th man now would be Chase Johnson but Locke will surprise some teams that play off him too much.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    With a new year freshman pg.....wonder:

Does CMW employ more on-ball screens ala Donovan? To relieve some pressure off Nembhard?

Also, wonder:
    Do we see less DDO this season from the PG and more off-ball screens to free up perimeter shooters: Allen, Hudson, Locke? And/or, more plays from the big guys? Use Stokes big body underneath to free up some room under the bucket on post exchanges, etc?

9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    2 very good thoughts Bogey. Early on I'm sure Nembhard will need the help with on-ball screens. The key will be how quickly can we move to the off-ball variety. That's what Nembhard did a bunch of last year at Montverde. Even further if Nembhard can penetrate and dish to Hayes or Stokes we have the making of a really good offensive team. The bigger issue there is Hayes ability down low. All this said it will take a few months to develop the team's offensive style with a new PG rather it be Nembhard or Okauru.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

BTW I see that UFUClawdad is alive and well spreading gloom on the football board. Thought he was gone forever.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Is he really?!?! That is hilarious!!! I too thought he was forever vanquished by the shame of his basketball idiocy.
    I had once immortalized him on my signature. I’m not sure if I still have it??
    I wonder if he ever saw it! Lol!

12. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What year did he utter that prophesy?

13. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He went into a shame spiral after that and disappeared.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    I can't remember who first said it, but "It Ain't Who Starts that Matters, It's Who Finishes."

There are always a lot of questions until about mid-way through the season. There appears to be more quality depth on this team than any Gator team I can ever remember (the 2000 squad was 10 deep until the tournament when Weeks played very little), but if everyone develops as them might, this team could conceivably be 13 deep. Certain Basset & Gak played decently when they were inserted, and Chase Johnson & Stokes both look very dangerous.

By the way, at PG, I'm sure that Allen will get more minutes than Okauru, who's really a SG, not a PG, much like Teddy Dupay.

15. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Allen is a pure SG and has proven that he can't play PG. This topic needs to be put to rest by now.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Amen to that.

• Like Like x 2
  17. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I think it was the 2010-2011 season (which I think of as "The Chandler Parsons Year"), when we lost a couple games to UCF and Jacksonville and then went on to win the SEC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That 2000 team is the standard for depth and was very fun to watch. It would be great to see the platoon style come back, as aka suggests.

Also, Pedantic point, but I think you are misremembering on Weaks. If anyone’s minutes went away at tourney time it was Bonner, who Donovan later said he should have redshirted. But even Bonner still got into every game. (You might be remembering Weaks’ production, which did fall off quite a bit)

Florida vs. Duke Box Score, March 24, 2000 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Michigan State vs. Florida Box Score, April 3, 2000 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep, I believe we also reached the Elite Eight that year.

20. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    I could see C Johnson pushing Stone for starter minutes, Chase is a bit more dynamic than Keith.

But it is great to see the options available, Could go big or small, with grown men (not skinny kids) at a few of the positions.

• Like Like x 3