Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can we hold on to Shemar James?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatormade1984, Aug 21, 2021.

1. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I said this two weeks ago and got lots of bacon.

Muscrap to Mcelfart to Mullet have really opened my fall weekends to new hobbies. August to October, I get really into football, but then after, its just not worth it. Its sad, but it really is not worth investing so much time and effort caring... The worst part is, if we were Michigan State, and you knew you were never in the running to win against xx team, or to get xx 5 star recruit... You never get your hopes up.

The worst part is The 3 M's above are freaking hope killers. They start out looking like something good will happen, they give your 3 year old a shiny Hot Wheels Car and some candy, and then right when we are going to eat it and play with it, they rip it away, because they are selfish/arrogant/stubborn morons and everything falls apart.

I think our next coach should start with an S... Spurrier... Saban... Those coaches seem to work out.

Final thought... speaking of investing... I hope the Gator Collective in collaboration with the University of Florida Warrington College of Business teach these kids what to do and how to hold on to 5 and 6 figure NIL contracts. I hope this happens at every school. There is nothing worse than seeing these kids squander a huge opportunity to set themselves up for life while in college with an education and a financial education.

Seeing us go from so close to turning it around to being a complete dumpster fire again and watching it fall apart hurts... I'm not just saying this because of Shemar James and Julian Humphrey... Let's see if Mullen sees the dumpster fire burning pre-game and puts it out by having Richardson start and play the whole game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Players getting stash means nothing anymore! Those days are gone. UT will need a bigger Macdonald bag though

3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    There is the first “we really didn’t want him” quote!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Junior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    It’s still about the stash to a degree but the stash is now legal. What it does indicate however, is that any thoughts that Georgia and Alabama were out recruiting us simply because of financial inducements (legal or illegal) were wrong. Richardson signs a mid six figure deal one day and we lose arguably our best recruit a day or two after. Obviously we can offer as much via the NIL provision as anyone (mid six figures means at least 500k by my math) and it still hasn’t translated to recruiting wins.
    The answer seems simple to me, financial considerations being somewhat equal, the other considerations are even more important now. Winning and losing matters to everyone but is especially important to athletes that have a choice where they play, facilities the same thing, coaching staff same, recruiting effort and the ability to “sell” a program yep. How many players does the program put in the NFL, check.
    Shemar James didn’t decommit because of any illegal inducements ( in reality they don’t exist anymore, the how’s may still matter, but bottom line obviously doesn’t apply) he decommited because of some combination of all the above, with a healthy dose of “ who” will be coaching defense at Florida next year thrown in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I will say it at the risk of getting a ban.

Who in their right mind, outside of a player who grew up a die hard Gator fan, would want to play here? We are 4-3 with some UGLY losses, we are going to get prison raped in Jville in 10 days, our DC sucks and will likely be gone after this year, our HC sounds like he has checked out, and the UF administration comes off as not serious about football, but we can sure read about those nice tennis team upgrades on twitter!!!!

UGA and UA are serious about football, serious about dominating the college football landscape, and allocate their resources accordingly. Meanwhile, we sure have a nice baseball field, a mediocre HC, and low budget recruiting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Don't forget the SS has his hands in mud for the b/s w/the women's bball team and has all but disappeared. He stayed active on Twitter and now he's a ghost

• Like Like x 1
  7. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    You were correct when saying it’s all about the winning culture. Bama and Georgia are out recruiting Florida by a wide margin. Because kids want to go to winning programs. I never thought Georgia would get to Bama level but they did .. Never thought Kirby could do it but he did.
    You win the parents by the living room visit . Kirby can make that happened and Mullen obviously struggles with that . His personality does not lend itself to warmth and reassurance to the parents . Hell. we all see that through his presence in front of a mic.
    One more thing the High School coaches love Dabo , Smart , Saban and Jimbo. Mullen comes across a bit stiff and arrogant.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Junior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Dabo I can understand, but Smart, Saban, and Fisher seem every bit as arrogant as Mullen, and Kirby comes off as a bit of a doofus to me (Mullen also honestly). Of course 17-19 was a long time ago for me.
    Mullen’s show cause prohibited off campus recruiting all of 2020’s fall period and four days this fall period, but that doesn’t totally explain the two years prior to the show cause.
    Incidentally I believe (think, have an opinion, don’t know for sure) that the show cause by the NCAA and the University’s response to it (no challenge to the severity vs the infraction) grates on Dan more than we know.
    Can you imagine Alabama or Georgia accepting those penalties (the school was also placed on 1 year probation and fined) without some kind of legal action, wouldn’t happen.
    Alabama took legal action in 2009 when they were caught red handed in the Albert Means scandal, and got an apology (basically a we were wrong from the NCAA) and a significant reduction in the penalties levied against them.
    Different folks have different opinions on how to approach such things, that’s cool, but there is no question UF’s approach to such things is far, far, different than most of our SEC rivals.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. stp_gator

stp_gator All American

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    I think right now it should be “Recruiting? Meh…”. If Dan shows some serious improvement he could possibly move the needle far enough to reach “Meh Recruiting”.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    nobody hears me when i say this, but until Lee Davis

Lee Davis - Director of Recruiting Operations - Staff Directory - Florida Gators

is gone as the head of recruiting relations, recruiting isn’t going to change. There’s a reason why UGA has had a huge uptik in recruiting this cycle, they took former Gator ASSISTANT director of player personnel David Cooper from Louisville this offseason. Wonder why our DL recruiting been spotty the last two cycles (2021 and 2022)? He also helped David Cooper with that but left to go to Louisville for the 2020 season and now at UGA. Makes sense now why UGA is pulling in a damn near ALL TIMER of a DL haul this recruiting cycle since that’s his specialty. Until Lee Davis and Charlie Stakanski are replaced, nothing is going to change. It’s a reason why Urban Meyer took Mark Pantoni to OSU with him and Ryan Day has kept him. A reason why Mushcamp hired Drew Hughes for that role of player personnel and McElwain kept him too. They RUN recruiting

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Oh you’ve gone and done it now Bobby, that’s Dan’s girl, he got a big scowl at you right now. Dan would gladly get fired before he gets rid of Lee Davis. She’s part of his inner circle, maybe even closer to him than Hev-BG-Knox. I believe she was on the plane with Dan & family when they flew in from Starkvegas for the introductory presser. No doubt though, the recruiting staff needs a big buildup and infusion of talent.

The Most Powerful Woman In Florida Football

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    oh yea, they don't want us to go THERE when talking about Lee. We'd be tip toeing on getting banned but you and I are on the same page and it doesn't have to be said because you know the saying...iykyk (if you know, you know). Chick went from a student assistant at Bama to coordinator of recruiting coordinator at MSU and now is director of recruiting operations here.

Even reading that article, I hadn't read it since it first came out, just lets you know exactly how Dan feels about recruiting I mean because

"Under Mullen, Florida hasn't designated an assistant as its recruiting coordinator, Begley though is recognized as the Director of Recruiting Operations. By our research she’s the only woman in a Power 5 Conference program to hold such a lofty title position without the aid of having a stated recruiting coordinator as part of the staff."

This staff is a joke man

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Junior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    I don’t know her, I’ve heard the stories, but stories are just that unless I know someone personally. That said all I can judge someone on in such cases is results- so far those speak for themselves.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lee Davis has a very small role. My understanding is during visits she just coordinates logistics with the recruit/family. I don't think she does much more than that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Is she the same person who was fired/quit due to alleged aff with MSU ch? I honestly don't know.

17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There was that rumor, but she wasn't ever fired anywhere to my knowledge

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    [QUOTE="gatorpjb, post: 12898807, member: 30831"Shemar James didn’t decommit because of any illegal inducements ( in reality they don’t exist anymore, the how’s may still matter, but bottom line obviously doesn’t apply) he decommited because of some combination of all the above, with a healthy dose of “ who” will be coaching defense at Florida next year thrown in.[/QUOTE]

Do you think Shemar James is worried that if TG is fired, the replacement will be a worse defensive co-ordinator? Seriously to me that's a head scratcher idea.
    Or am I reading it wrong and James is worried that TG just might still be here next season?

19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Distance and opportunity. Can my position coach get me to the NFL? UF LB had no track record. You have to win to attract top 100 kids.

20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I thought some of these recruiting Ops people reported through Lee Davis? There was a rumor that she was reason Coach Coop departed.

• Informative Informative x 1