Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can We Be Positive for Just Nine Months?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Apr 6, 2024.

1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Who's your team? Surely No UF fan would call him that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Crap fans do exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    All you had to do was leave out the Sunbelt part and you would have had a really good post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When he becomes SEC COTY this season the narrative will change. If he wins 8 RS and then a bowl, it will happen.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    I'm onboard for the next two seasons. That's a realistic period of patience that should reveal whether he's it. I have no angst or worries until then.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But he didn’t and he’s shit for a fan or maybe just a pathetic troll.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Fans owe nothing to a HC who made decisions like that were unusual, ill advised, and a departure from standard practices(Special Teams) sacrificing wins for his players, discrediting the program, and has so far failed to do what he told the fan base he would do which was, be prepared and detail oriented. Even Spurrier made a statement(s) to the effect of what the hell is going on here. If a fan thinks he conducts the program like a guy that came from a small league and has not proven he can handle the SEC and in-state rivalries, that's life, because it's true. Did he arrive and structure the program with a ready DC, OC, STs coordinator? Nope.

That said, I really believe he can win 7 this season, maybe more. If he does that, the perception of some that he has a small school mentality will change. If he's good and has the right people in place, has adequately restructured his in-game communication and coordination, we can win 5 of our first 7. I realize we could in theory lose to any of our first 7 opponents but really the three teams that should be most difficult are miami, tennessee, kentucky. If he can just win two of those, the first half of the season will be good>great. The team should be better the last 5 games and we could/should win at least one before we play fsu, right? Then if fsu is actually lesser team than last season we could/should beat fsu. Pretty decent rebound if Napier can pull that off.

If it turns out our Defense is much improved and the units that comprise STs execute then his offense will be enough. But whiffing two FGs which would have won a game or two then citing "execution" as an excuse will not cut it because there's always going to be the why was it even that close POV from half the fan base if play calling is suspect. The awe shucks post games, it's just an honor to play here, complimenting his opponent, is what a person who accepts losing says. "Sunbelt" has been tagged on other boards and I actually find it funny. After a 5 and 6 win season, with all the blunders and uncoordinated gamesmanship, that's going to happen. Many fans are UF, The Program, The Players, first. The Staff? They get what they earn.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    No.

Negative discussion is well received. The hyper negative agenda to bellyache and power whining is hating.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I can be guardedly optimistic pre-season. I remember when the mood here was lit last pre-season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    After the Tenn game with all the 06-08 guys on the sideline, it was looking up. Boy did that go to shit fast. Raymond pouting on the sidelines by himself with his arms crossed. It went downhill fast. Hopefully this defensive staff are are the same page and gets some energy out of this defense. They hopefully brought in some experienced players that can at least bring an average sec defense. We won’t have six day one draft picks like many of the defenses we face but we should at least look like a cohesive unit.

• Like Like x 3
  11. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Personally I don't think he's performing at a level that warrants one of the top salary packages in his profession. I hope he starts doing so soon, but until then it seems pretty fitting.

I also wasn't a big fan of Mike white either, does that mean I'm not a real fan?

If undying devotion to university athletic association employees is a requirement to be a real fan I guess I'm not. I'm ok with failing that metric and I don't think BN minds since he is paid roughly $1 in the time it takes to type out Sunbelt Billy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    I would not say zero but I agree with the concept. But I would bet mine that 90% of their parents do read the boards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I'm not sure this thread gives me hope for the season, but ... not so fast!

Crap, if Napier and company can't squeak out a winning season with these coaches, and these players regardless of the schedule, then may a meteor take me out, arms wide open, at the local opium den!

Last year we were really close to a winning season and let three games slip away. Our D was abysmal. I mean just bloody awful! This year they are getting coached up! More experience, great recruits, improved coaching. More Nil $. Better conditioning. I'm expecting better results; I am. I know nothing but optimism.

"You know nothing Jon Snow". We'll see...

We won't Back Down, might be UF's 'Petty Anthem.' Petty also said, "Even the losers get lucky sometime." We're about due some luck. I think the hard work and improved state of the team will produce some. Primarily, because they will have earned it.

One thing is hopium based on hope alone, the other is witnessing a significant paradigm shift in the system that directs the efforts for substantive change.

While the Spring game isn't a true barometer for much, let's see if it offers any insight.

Go Gators:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    90%? That's a made up number. Besides, parents know the difference between whiners after a 10-2 season vs 5-7.

15. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    What's the hyper negative agenda? What would you characterize as reasonably optimistic expectation for the season?

16. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    It seems to be a moving target. A couple months ago saying Raymond has kinda sucked as a coach at UF was hyper negative, now his removal is considered to be a reason for optimism. To be safe, remember that most anything short of a blanket statement "the coaches and players we have now are better than the ones we had before" is negative.

Anyways, I look forward to watching some football tomorrow, followed by a strong recruiting summer into a hell of an entertaining season.

17. cyberdyne

cyberdyne GC Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    I’ll enjoy the few wins we have and look forward to the next coaching regime, which will be awesome based on our UAAs past success!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Lol. Idk personally I always found it to be a funny nickname, I'm hoping he turns it around and we can use it to rag on others when they get skull dragged by Sunbelt Billy. I'd keep the monicker just to let my opponent know they got outsmarted by Sunbelt Billy

I'm also not overly sensitive so I can see why many of the perpetually offended thin skinned people here might not agree.

Either way it fits until he starts performing. Similar to how all Will Muschamps less than complimentary monickers were fitting. Although he went 18-8 his first two years and finished 4 at .571, Billy's got a lot of work to do to get there. Definitely crushing him in terms of $$ per win though.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Do you realize how many posts you put up defending your right to post negative shit about our team? It’s like priority 1 for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Here’s an example of a hyper negative agenda.

A poster makes things up to complain about in their post. Then you called that a “Great post”... That’s a hyper negative agenda.

• Funny Funny x 1