Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can this be America?? The police are broken.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "Obey." LMAO. Once you adopt the mindset yourself, your programming is complete.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Code of silence. The officers standing around had a duty to stop the battery on a non-suspect.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I think it's more the culture and hiring policies of the departments. You often hear cops refer to these guys as "old school" and just accept that they exist. Then there is a culture of not going against your fellow officers at the risk of ruining your own career. Plus you have a reluctance for one officer to step in and try to get another officer to be reasonable for some reason even if they know the other officer is wrong. Could be the same thing, avoiding backlash. I am pretty sure they are training them on appropriate use of force, but some just choose to disregard it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Yep, it is often about culture and not always so simply *bad apples* but indicative of larger issues. The officer in this case could be a bad apple, but when all he gets is a 30 hr suspension, makes me think that the it's considerably more than this single individual.

No doubt they get trained on the appropriate use of force and it's usually based on a continuum (in which only using the necessary force to effect an arrest or in the case of justifiable deadly force, terminate the deadly threat), and deescalation. But some officers cannot master verbal judo to gain compliance or are just bad at their job or the mindset and culture within a department can override proper training. And this happens often enough to make assumptions about bad apples to be shortsighted, imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    So my problem is that the write up from the police (lots of people not involved in the actual incident) was a joke. Only know that because of the video. All the tense debates here that relied on cops version of events against a suspected perp? All tainted. We can’t trust them if they arent on video apparently. Ferguson was right to riot.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Lot of dirty cops in that video, from the maniac doing the tasing to his gutless comrades standing by.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He needs to be tazered in the balls 100 times... and then thrown in prison, letting everyone in the prison know in advance he's a former cop.

• Like Like x 1
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    What?!?! He got a 30 hour suspension. Plus his palms are sore from all the high-fives his fellow officers gave him after viewing his handy work. That’s some serious punishment.

9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The problem isn't that all cops are bad. The problem is that the good cops aren't holding the bad cops accountable, and our criminal justice system also isn't holding bad cops accountable. Cops are given too much power and not enough accountability.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The guy had no legal obligation to provide an ID in that situation, not even sure why the police officer was asking for it.

Stufflebeam v. Harris, Civil No. 06-5094. | Casetext

He was within his rights to say that he didn't have it on him while putting his wallet in his backpack.

Is this before or after his arm was being twisted behind his back for no apparent reason? What escalation did the passenger participate in?

Are you sure the guy was legally obligated to provide his ID in that situation?

I hope the police officer and all those who had knowledge of it and didn't make a stink about it pay a steep price for their role.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Not to mention, cops that get prosecuted often beat the charges because juries or judges don't seem to want to hold them accountable either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    I just watched the video and those cops, especially the one with the taser, need to be fired from their jobs and never allowed to work in any kind of law enforcement or security job again, not even an unarmed security guard job. The guy was being cuffed, then after being cuffed was on the ground, face down and was still being tased!! Unbelieveable!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Premium Member

That's hard to watch overall, but hearing his kids scream went right through me. Chilling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    No better opportunity to teach 'em young who everyone's daddy is. (It ain't the guy who asks for 10% of your take. It's the one who demands half of it or else).

16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    To the OP: this kind of incident has been posted many times and discussed. I try to keep it simple. Quality and discerning populace begets quality leadership (read elected officials), which begets quality leaders in the police force. That in turn begets a system which identifies deficiencies in character, either in training or afterwards, so that they can be weeded out.

Show me a deficient police action and you can go all the way to the populace to determine the culprit. And yes, America today is NOT who we used to be. And add in the current notion of flight from the scene or even shooting police then you make a bad situation pretty much a powder keg.

• Like Like x 1
  17. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    A chilling similarity to a more tragic event here in Chicago a few years ago. The culture, the vetting of recruits, training and supervision all have to change. The problem starts at the police academies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It's naive to think police force is worse or more corrupt then it's ever been. There's cameras everywhere now. That's the only difference. I'd wager it's better than ever. There are bad teachers, professors, bankers, lawyers, builders etc. They don't get video taped dealing with the dregs of society on a daily basis. No, I'm not making excuses. These guys should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. That's not happening enough. But until you have a Robo cop police force, this will happen for eternity. It's ludicrous to think otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Doing that to a passenger in a vehicle for a turn signal violation by the driver is disgraceful. Somebody should be fired and prosecuted.

Having said that, when police question me, rightly or wrongly, I keep my cool and cooperate. The incident will be over quickly enough if you do that, unless you have done something wrong. I would never cop that sort of an attitude with police because it will be met by a beat down, followed by arrest. I'd rather take another path.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Peasant mindset complete

• Like Like x 1