Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can this be America?? The police are broken.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Feb 10, 2019.

1. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Can this possibly be America? Watch this and tell me we don’t have a problem. Police are infected with power today. This is why we can’t trust authority absolutely.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That just pisses me off. At least a couple of them need to be fired and prosecuted for battery. The rest can be suspended for not stepping in to deescalate the situation.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Turn signal violation ... and a passenger in the car didn't have ID ... unreal. Hopefully that video will make a couple more people millionaires at the expense of Tax payers...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Apparently this happed 18 months ago, I assume the video is released now as part of a civil court case. The officer received 30 hours of suspension. :rolleyes:

Minutes later, Wheatcroft was handcuffed lying face down on the hot asphalt on a 108-degree day. He'd already been tased 10 times, with one officer kneeling on his back as another, Officer Matt Schneider, kicked him in the groin and pulled down his athletic shorts to tase him a final time in his testicles, according to a federal lawsuit and body camera footage obtained by ABC15.

The scene was witnessed by his 11- and 6-year-old sons.

Multiple independent law enforcement experts, who agreed to review the incident, said the officers’ conduct was unlawful, potentially criminal, and one of the most cruel and troubling cases of police misconduct they’ve ever seen.

“I have never seen anything like this before,” said Jeff Noble, an attorney and former deputy chief of police in Irvine, Calif., who’s testified in hundreds of cases including Tamir Rice and Philando Castile. “ It reminds me of a case in New York where an individual was sadistically taking a broom handle and shoving it up (the suspect’s) anus. This is just beyond the pale. It’s outrageous conduct.”

Abuse of Force: Bodycam video shows man tased 11 times

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    The police report of the incident can be seen at that link, too ... it's one of those "who are going to believe, me, or you lying eyes" type of reports.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Yes it is, in many ways. It's an indictment.

Aside from the cruel tasering of the guys genitals, the thing that strikes me as possibly happening, and has been known to happen, is that rather than trying to deescalate and gain compliance through better communication, the officer escalated the intensity of the situation People naturally and quite reflexively tense up when someone grabs them especially if in pain, but it wouldn't be beyond reason to suspect that the officer saying "don't resist" was to create the justification in the first place, knowing it's being recorded.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Th guy was suspended.
    Glendale PD's review of tazing incident: "Gross negligence"

But watch live PD on A&E it gives you insight into these types of situations, there are multiples of these a night. 90 percent of the time or more when people act like that, they have a warrant or something illegal in the car.
    The man was pulled over and the cop was calm. The guy first lied about having ID, then refused to give his ID when he admitted to having it, was stuffing something away that could have been anything from drugs to even a gun, and then tensed up when he tried to detain him. Of course the cop is going to be on edge at that point, it was clear there was a larger issue.
    That said, the cop should have gotten him out of the car to de-escalate it and from there they went too far by any reasonable measure (didn’t need net taser at all, let alone 11 times), but all of the initial escalation was done by the passenger.
    Obey legal instructions and none of that would have happened. Now the guy will be rich by being an ahole who goaded them into an overreaction.

As far as cops being bad, there are literally a million of them in this country with multiple interactions each nightly, the law of averages says thousands at a minimum are probaly bad at their job. Finding examples of bad cops always has been and probably will be easy to find if folks look. But body cams are helping to correct that behavior, cops can’t hide it nearly as easy anymore. That’s how this got found.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    BTW, former NYPD officer Justin Volpe (from the Abner Louima broomhandle violent assault) is still sitting in [Edit] prison in Minnesota Texas (FCI Beaumont).

He will be there for another 10+ years since he was sentenced in 1999 to 30 years without the possibility of parole

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    On the bright side, they are gonna get a big payday when this goes to court. The dude was right he had no obligation to show the cop his ID unless the cop had some reasonable articulable suspicion that he had or was going to commit a crime. The dude was exercising his rights and the cop just got pissed off because of that. Arizona is notoriously bad in terms of how law enforcement acts, especially with the Maricopa County sheriff's dept (Sheriff Joe).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Can't imagine any police department watching this wouldn't fire these officers.

They did this in front of his children?

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Even when they get fired, which isn't a certainty depending on how strong the police union is in the area, these guys usually end up somewhere else like a small town police department.

12. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    He got a 30 hour suspension.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Police brutality has been around since....probably since there have been police. Diff now is there is video.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    I hear what you're saying. I have great respect for law enforcement, having worked closely with them. Had it been me I might have cooperated. But I don't like the suggestion that a passenger in a car minding his own business has the obligation to obey an officer's totalitarian demand, "Let me see your papers!" That is what started it all and why I said I might have cooperated. Citizens have rights cops must have some basis for invading. This one didn't as far as the passenger was concerned. It was a pure ego-driven power play.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Saw this on the news the other day. Happened in Glendale, AZ, a Phoenix suburb where the football and hockey stadiums are located. That area isn't bad, but most of Glendale is middle to lower class areas.

Officer who tased the guy got a suspension and is working on the streets of Glendale today. The victim was arrested and spent weeks in prison because the family had no bail money. All charges were eventually dropped.

The tape was finally released because the family is suing. The city put out a release full of half truths supporting the police officer.

I understand police officers, especially in rough areas, are often on edge. But that doesn't give the police the right to take the law into their own hands or worse, break it. The man doesn't have to have our give ID, and the police officer should be arrested for assault.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Damn

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce Junior

Nov 21, 2018
    30 hours seems like a cruel joke to me. He needs to be fired and black balled from being in law enforcement.

However, cherry picking a few incidents from the thousands and thousands of cop/ public interactions and declaring that cops are out of control is silly. Again, I am not justifying g this cops actions in any way...but painting all cops in a negative light due to the few is wrong g.
    Do you do the same with Afro Americans? Muslims? School teachers? Lawyers? Well ok on the lawyers that's understandable....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Lawyers for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Maybe not cherry picking at all, but an example of some something that happens routinely--at least the unnecessary use of force (not saying tasering a man's genitals is routine)?

Can it not be of a structure and mindset, policies, training of police that can cause individual officers to escalate situations and then use that escalation to justify their behavior?

• Like Like x 4
  20. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    You have to remember, that in this case, several officers stood around watching, it took them a week to drop the charges, it was likely reviewed by several people including his superiors and internal affairs ... and even after all that ... they kept the ball tazing officer on with a slap on the wrist. Even with the video set to go public ... they put out that press release outlining all the things the victim should have done differently ... ZERO mention of anything a cop might have done wrong. Seems like that whole department is broken.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5