Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can’t overlook next 3 and gotta make changes

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by shane4three, Nov 21, 2020.

1. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I think his point was if the high floor guys (starters) are going to make the same type of mistakes that the younger higher ceiling guys do , and they most certainly do , then go ahead and let the younger guys take some lumps and figure it out. Tyron hopper jumps off the screen. There’s no one in the back 7 that doesn’t have head scratching moments all game. Give me the guy that has a chance to be a diff maker. If some of these fellas ain’t figured some of this out by their 3+ year playing then chances are they’re not going to. There’s a desire lacking when u watch the defense at times. Defensive coaching is half about lining up an half about “want to” and we have a hard time with both.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    For long term gain, it is critical to see not only the younger guys get meaningful time, but also in multiple positions. Unlike any other year, a key guy can get knocked out for something the coaches can't witness, a positive Covid-19 test.

3. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I get what you are saying, but Trask has been here 5 years.

4. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    thats been the supposed knock on him, size. I'd like to see him get more chances to prove it wrong though

5. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I dont think holding the DC accountable qualifies as being a wuss.

6. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Exactly!! Changes what we can and will do on 1st down. Any other front and Rodriguez, Smoke, and Rose will run on us.

7. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    You said it well. And when we play a front or scheme that actually works we go away from it. Same thing with personnel. Hop, Diabate, Pierre have earned time at LB but we will see Houston, Miller, and Burney. Hill, Kimbrough, and even Moorer have shown they can do more than other Db’s but they’ll get minimal time.

Torrance and Johnson need to play. Yes young and will make mistakes but they at least are aggressive. I see star and safety flat footed and waiting for action to come to them way too much.

8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Hopper got 10 snaps
    Kimbrough 8
    Diabate 29
    Hill 25 by comparison Marco had 45

I’d hardly say any of those snap counts (other than Marco) qualifies as ALOT. For Hopper that’s unbelievable and quite unimpressive. Add 25 more to his number and I’d be ok. Size and inexperience as an excuse getting old.

like to know why arguably our best DL in Campbell played 44% of snaps yesterday. Short of an injury that’s inexcusable as he is a game changer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    I would like to know when in the game those snaps occurred. If they were front loaded then the situation of giving meaningful reps to build experience and depth could be made.

Clearly we have several games remaining where his presence is going to be crucial.

10. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So which of the next three do you have is losing oh great predictor. Or are you just going to tell us how many yards and points the opponent will have.

• Like Like x 1
  11. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol. Shawn David is always hitting them low... And not taking them down because he won't wrap up. I just don't understand how this fundamental will could be leaving across the entire secondary. Certainly we must have SOME coach back there who learned that.

12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    How the last 3 games should happen:

UK and UT should be played, the LSU game should be cancelled. LSU should be replaced by AU or MSU.

Bama should have to play LSU to complete their West division schedule.

This will give the E/W winners equal amount of games played going into the SECCG.

• Like Like x 2
  13. canagator

canagator Senior

Jan 1, 2020
    Stoney Creek Ontario
    That was just part of my point that these road trips are like no previous years because of the protocols and concerns after the what happened in our last trip to A&M, some players adjust better than others! Road teams are usually at a disadvantage to begin with, the familiarity and comfort of home surroundings are gone, that goes for professional and amateur athletes in any sport! I am just stating a possibility, not making excuses!

14. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hold up. Miller is the best linebacker we have and plays like it. I hope he's not hurt. Houston didn't even play I believe. Diabate gets lots of playing time. Those guys aren't the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  15. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No thank you. Just cancel lsu for both bama and Florida. Let's not go making wholesale changes to opponents.

16. ridgetop

ridgetop All American

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    hahaha
    Add 25 more and you would be ok? Seriously? A guy that went in and on and on about how great willlllllllie taggert was is second guessing our coaching staff?
    We are playing a lot of young talent on defense. Pierre, Bible, Hopper, Dexter, etc...
    You do not just throw athletes on the field and hope it works out. No coach does that. You watch them in practice. You make sure they know their assignments. You make sure they know the calls.
    Are the older guys messing up? Yes. But that doesn’t mean you just throw untested unready, inexperienced guys on the field. They are getting meaningful minutes. Not mop up duty. They are learning to play at a high level. It is what it is this year. Between safeties and corners that aren’t playing well and a DC that refuse to make adjustments we have a bad defense. Burning the young guys just to see what they can do before they are ready is a mistake.
    I guarantee if we had the younger inexperienced guys out there and they lost contain or blew an assignment or got toasted over and over there would be people on this board complaining about that as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The SEC has already said they will be running a flex schedule for the last 3 games. Meaning they will be moving games and opponents around.
    I do agree, either cancel for both or make Bama play LSU. I do not think the SEC is going to give up TV time so I expect some type of change is going to happen.

18. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If we win vs. Tenn & KY, there is no reason for us to play the last game. Same for bama

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I like Miller but with that shoulder he’s limited. Why not rest him and let him heal up. Diabate ( led us w 7 tackles)Hopper, And Pierre should easily eat up 85% of lb snaps next week. If TG goes back to 4 man front against UK won’t matter a lot anyway as whoever is playing linebacker is going to have a hard time sifting through an extra lineman or two coming to them at the second level. 5 man front and the 3 lbs mentioned above will use their athleticism and sound tackling ( might not be perfect but better than others on D) to shut UK down.

20. jcmiller910

jcmiller910 Premium Member

Sep 18, 2019
    The problem yesterday was not who played or didn't play. It's wasn't the scheme or Grantham. The problem was lack of focus and effort. The guys played flat on Defense and on offense as well. Along with that we did what we have been doing all year long; tackling poorly, not communicating, subbing poorly, and not playing as a cohesive unit. Those are our problems. It's time to nut up and finish the season strong and then go whip Bama's ass!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1