Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Calling Out Candy, Bobby and Everybody Else

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Gatorhead, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    I’ve been critical of Mullen’s recruiting, but at QB, the most important position on the team, he is stacking up guys who have the potential to deliver championships.

EJ - has shown he can run. He has a quick release and strong arm. He stepped in last year for a series against Auburn When Trask suffered a knee injury and did well. He’s now another year Into his apprenticeship, so one more year of experience with the offense. Not as big as Trask or AR, but probably big enough to be successful.

AR15. Certainly passes the eye test. He’s bigger than Tebow and we know how that went. Cam Newton type athlete. By all accounts he has the raw talent to do everything required of a QB. Just needs to learn the offense and get some reps. I’m thinking CDM is bringing him along at the right pace.

Del Rio. Another guy with all the tools who’s rapidly climbing in the national HS picture. True dual threat.

Kitna. Another one who’s rapidly climbing in the national picture, who’s more like Trask than the others. CDM has proven he can build around a pocket passer, so one would think that if/when Kitna’s turn arrives, the offense will still be very potent with someone like him at the helm who’s a willing runner but not a true DT.

Jaccuri Brown - potential 2022 kid, not yet committed. Being recruited by Brian Johnson. 6-4 205 as a HS jr. 4* number 7 DT QB. Passes the eye test, but obviously is still pretty raw. Just for fun, let’s assume he becomes a gator.

That would mean Mullen has guys who can run a potentially championship caliber offense put til 2025/2026 queued up.

As for the rest of the offense, It looks like we’ve turned the corner on the OL, and that 2019 was the low water point there. We’ll always attract WRs with Mullen’s style of offense as long as they’re clear that the ball Gets spread around a lot. Mullen now has a good track record of WRs Going to the league. Our RB room all of a sudden looks much improved.

bottom line is that I’m honestly not as concerned about overall star rankings is Mullen and crew are landing the guys they target to run their offense. I also think CDM
    Has learned that he doesn’t need a DT QB to win. He was forced to adapt and evolve with Trask, which opens up the future to a wider range of QB skill sets. That makes the likelihood of success better since he can make it work with different guys.

the one thing that has come through loud and clear is that whoever we put under center in the future has to intimately understand the offense (apprenticeship) and Mentally process things quickly. As far as I know, there are no recruiting stars for mental processing speed, so if Mullen and crew are high on a kid, there’s probably a reason.

next few years should be awesome
    To watch.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    I remembered looking at his stats and all the glowing things his HS staff said about him. And thought we got the steal of the cycle. I was actually annoyed with the previous staff that they kept pushing him to the bottom of the depth chart.

I give Mullen a pass because I understand what he was trying to do. Find an alpha dog personality to help lead a broken team and give them confidence. It just wasn’t Kyle’s style. But God bless the kid for having patience and hanging in there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Didn’t think waste of a ship at all. Once he got his feet under him my feeling was that he deserved a chance based on what I heard he could do if he got a chance. Kind of kid that is not a great practice player whereas Franks was a very impressive practice player

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  4. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Franks sees his primary receiver, Trask sees the field and finds the open man. When going through progressions Franks often gets sacked or chased from the pocket while Trask often finds a receiver that allows the chains to move.

I hope for only the best for Franks - except for when he plays the Gators. I hope all those Gator defensive players that couldn’t touch FF because of his no-contact jersey get their revenge.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Georgia is hurting more than just one position.

I said it last year too, but we just couldn't get over that hump against them.

Georgia fans bash Fromm now, but he had all the tools and could make all the throws. I was devastated to see how well he played as a freshman. It was the same feel I had for the rapist at FSU. He had 1st-round written all over him, just a feel for the game.

Then he got worse, and worse. The offenses stalled for long stretches; no one else stepped up.

I don't get into arguments on Twitter. I'm way too scared one of those crazies would cyber stalk me or someone from my family. However, earlier this week a Georgia fan said something like, "We were just a decent QB away from beating Florida again"

I wanted to respond with something snarky, like how the recruiting powerhouse in Athens can't find anyone better than a 2-star from Texas, or that decent people, quarterbacks included, stay away from that cesspool, or that quarterbacks do not give up 44 points, or, you know, something derisive.

And in my would-be trolling, it came to my awareness that Georgia is an extremely talented team and maybe quarterback is a weakness, but it would be one of the few weaknesses. On paper, their defenses does not have the holes or embarrassments that we do. They have highly-rated talent on offense, wide receiver, tight end, offensive line?

On paper, we would trade 3 starters on our OL for 1 of theirs + a backup. They shouldn't be lamenting average QB play. It was a coaching staff who does not understand what their strengths are. It was a coaching staff who planned to showcase their weaknesses on national TV because they don't understand how not to.

If a coach cannot take Fromm and use the talent around him to average 45+ points a game, they will never beat teams as talented as them. They will only beat teams who are significantly worse

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    My take was that he must have some some significantly positive attributes for the staff to offer a ship to a back up. I thought the offer meant there had to be some real talent to take that chance. No, I didn’t see this happening, but I was intrigued.

• Like Like x 1
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yeah. Someone pointed out a stat showing how poorly Kirby has done against teams with top 10 talent. Couple wins vs several losses. Georgia fans should be embarassed to use the qb excuse for multiple reasons.

We were not given any leniency when our thin roster lost multiple key players for their game the last 2 years nor did anyone give our coaches a pass for the similar mismanagement of qbs during the Mac/champ years.

Coaches preach man down next man up. Pretty audacious for a coach and fans of a team that has stacked talent for several years to cry about injuries or a dearth of talent. Congrats Kirby. You beat our injury and talent depleted rosters 2 years in a row in competitive games. Douche

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nothing wrong with Kyle's arm. He can make all of the throws. I think he has a terrific NFL future ahead of him. Dan Mullen has down a masterful job with Trask. I hope he does the same for Emory Jones, hope just holding back showing off his passing game, and Anthony Richardson. Add Del Rio and Kitna when they come available. It's feels great to look out at the future in which having top QBs make the difference between good and great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    CDM gets it and creates a winning culture then builds a team to fit the culture. Kirby somehow, even with the players parking looking like a new car dealership has a star studded puzzle with critical missing pieces. With their constant coaching turnover and Kirby’s offensive meddling and insistence on running vs. throwing, they are no longer the most attractive destination for rising HS quarterbacks. In the meantime Mullen and Johnson have developed and recruited a QB room to die for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. supduc

supduc Freshman

Nov 30, 2016
    There will always be people who get fed a line and eat it up but I think kids and their circles are starting to pick up on the used car salesman tactics. Thankfully I don't anymore, but I used to work in sales. Every place always had the fast talkers come in and BS people into making a sale. They always had a higher percentage of returns due to unhappy customers who were sold a bill of goods that couldn't be delivered on. More often than not, that salesperson was already moved on to hustle another company/location by the time they would have the fallout of dealing with customer issues.
    Good salespeople build a level of trust with their clients and a sustainable book of business as a result.
    Eventually those store locations got reputations and locals avoided going there and would go to the next town over instead.
    I think we're seeing that some with Georgia now.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I think Kyle has a great arm too. That bullet he threw to KP when he got hurt was beautiful, and so was the one he threw to Copeland against Mizzouri. But Felipe has a bigger arm . Yet, Kyle is better bc of his decision making and patience.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I honestly think we will see both Trask and Franks in the NFL. Somebody is going to want the gun Franks has in the passing game. I think he needs to run the ball a bit less and work past his primary when it is not open, same ole same ole. The biggest difference is Trask reads the defenses so much better and he can control the defense with using his vision to influence defenders. That is a prized NFL commodity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    To me KT seemed like a neurosurgeon with a scalpel on the 30-40 yard sideline dimes he was throwing against uga in the 2nd and early 3rd quarter...

• Winner Winner x 4
  14. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    And decision making

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    no one is gonna play franks at the next level imo. But I also said the same thing about Driskel.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    At the time I just figured the prior staff thought they found a possible hidden gem. Could pan out and maybe not. As a gator fan was hoping he would turn out to be a good to great player for UF like I hope all recruits do.

17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Amazing that Driskel and Brissett will have more years playing QB in the NFL than Tebow.

18. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    I was thinking of a 20 year old Mike Tyson letting his opponent pop him a few times before he unloaded his haymakers...then the haymakers kept coming. Georgia really got a beat down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    and Driskel be PLAYING too, not just collecting a check. He be having success but still missing that "it" that makes it click for him to be consistent.

20. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Back to the original question when he signed initially there was so little for anyone to go on. But to the credit of posters here on GC I seem to recall that there were many here who were impressed with Trask after his first spring game. Many wondered why he was not getting more game action and a lot predicted he was the future. I will admit that I was NOT one who predicted future success for Kyle. I was pulling for FF because I thought he had an "it" factor and his physical traits are at the top of the charts for a DT. I still hope he keeps improving and makes it into the league. But, I am so pleased that KT hung in there and got a chance to shine. He has certainly brought back the excitement into Gator offense. Great kid too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1